Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 23, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #14,131 of 42,765
  i have iphone 6 + and mojo . I think there is no right or wrong answer. I believe in a blind test (volume match + using an easy to drive iem or headphone) most of the average joe would not be able to differentiate it.

Sure, I doubt the average joe could tell either, but is a guy with an SE846 an average joe? 
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #14,132 of 42,765
Actually I have searched extensively, and Ken Rockwell's measurements of the iPhone 6+'s DAC show that it's fantastic http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm

Quoting Ken "much better than most audiophile DACs."
So please do your research before giving uneducated advice to others.

Thanks.

Except Mojo has fifteen times lower THD, no noise floor modulation, no measurable jitter artefacts, 5 times more output voltage, 500 times more processing power to reconstruct the timing of the original analogue waveform, 40 times lower output impedance, ten times greater dynamic range.

And people claim that they can't hear the difference? My daughter (not an audiophile) thought it was night and day from her iPhone. 

Rob

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #14,133 of 42,765
  Sure, I doubt the average joe could tell either, but is a guy with an SE846 an average joe? 
wink.gif

He's an average joe with a very sensitive earphone. Mojo has more background noise than an iPhone 6, so there is that. You could definitely tell which is which, despite that noise difference being minimal.

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #14,134 of 42,765
A few years ago I'd have agreed with you, but these days the iPhone and the iPod touch are very competent DAPs - maybe not on the same level as AK stuff, but nevertheless still pretty good especially when you take into account all the other stuff you can do with your iToys. I've been using iPhones and iPods for years now, and I can tell you the audio aspect has improved immensely since the days of the first iPhone - it took a dip when Apple first switched from Wolfson to Cirrus with Cirrus sounding very artificial, but Cirrus got their act together.

I do tend to think people have an automatic knee jerk reaction to Apple in that they think because it's Apple it must be crap, much like the reaction people here have to Beats, who by all accounts are now turning out reasonably respectable headphones - certainly not the dark mushy sounding mud that the first few Beats models had a reputation for, and were rightfully criticised for.

I'd go one step further: a modern iPhone is as stable under load as a top-flight AK device. It has the same level of background noise. Where it fails next to an AK380 is stereo separation and basically nothing else. At top volumes without load, the difference in DR, for instance is big: about 12dB, but that is at volumes you would never listen to with earphones and only running test files. For real music, the difference even at top volume levels is miniscule. At normal listening levels, it all but disappears. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #14,135 of 42,765
Actually I have searched extensively, and Ken Rockwell's measurements of the iPhone 6+'s DAC show that it's fantastic http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm

Quoting Ken "much better than most audiophile DACs."
So please do your research before giving uneducated advice to others.

Thanks.

he was talking about one graph only...not about everything...but his happyness made him write it in the main paragraph

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #14,136 of 42,765
When I read about the amount of work and technology that's gone into the Mojo, and the amount of praise it's received from so many on Head-Fi, it's kind of gut-wrenching to even think it could be possible for someone not to appreciate a significant difference in sound quality, whether he be an average joe or not. 
blink.gif

Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning..

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #14,137 of 42,765
Except Mojo has fifteen times lower THD, no noise floor modulation, no measurable jitter artefacts, 5 times more output voltage, 500 times more processing power to reconstruct the timing of the original analogue waveform, 40 times lower output impedance, ten times greater dynamic range.

And people claim that they can't hear the difference? My daughter (not an audiophile) thought it was night and day from her iPhone. 

Rob

I believe the timing metric is one that is all too often overlooked and obviously one of the major factors of the Mojo's allure.

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #14,138 of 42,765
I guess you were driven by emotion

Many things can sound superficially "better" but they relatively lack emotion. Mojo is the most "emotional" piece of audio equipment I've ever had the privilege to have heard. For those of us who are lucky enough to have sussed this out, any further argument is moot. We've see the light! :)

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #14,139 of 42,765

Rob

When I read about the amount of work and technology that's gone into the Mojo, and the amount of praise it's received from so many on Head-Fi, it's kind of gut-wrenching to even think it could be possible for someone not to appreciate a significant difference in sound quality, whether he be an average joe or not. :blink:

Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning..

Some people, like me, simply can't hear it. I refer you to my previous post on my initial Mojo impressions http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/13830#post_12436520

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #14,141 of 42,765
Some people, like me, simply can't hear it. I refer you to my previous post on my initial Mojo impressions http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/13830#post_12436520

Good post! I enjoyed reading it. I actually relate in some ways, I don't know how audiophile-esque I am either, so I'm anxious to hear it and see what my conclusions are. One thing is for sure, I do not like the HD800.. I appreciate it, but I don't like it. You might try and audition an Audeze LCD-X if you haven't? 

Anyway, when I wake up in the morning I shall see how the Mojo compares to my now sold iFi Micro iDSD. 
biggrin.gif

I'm 20, so hopefully these ears are up to speed. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #14,142 of 42,765
  That's true, sansa does not suppost usb audio out. Cheapest option? Anything that has digital coax out (Fiio line of daps are popular) or usb audio out (cheap android phone off ebay?)

If considering a cheap phone off ebay make sure that it is running Android KitKat 4.4 minimum

Yeah, can't wait for the SD module. I wonder if it is going to be one or two slots, also the UI on the tiny digital screen. Really curious. I wish Chord could share some insight on this.

I think this is probably, on here at least, the most anticipated product from Chord right now.
Early days still but @JohnFrank  and @Mojo ideas  will the SD slot be a full size SD slot? (I do hope so)

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #14,143 of 42,765
When I was a consultant for silicon companies designing audio chips, we used to have many listening sessions. Generally, it would be listening to small features, or small improvements that I had made - but the whole team would be involved. One engineer, struggled to hear any difference at all, and was self confessed deaf. Another engineer could hear differences, but had difficulty articulating them. The third engineer was excellent - he was as sensitive as myself, and very good at describing differences. Like me he only needed a very short time to accurately evaluate sound quality.

One of the three was a musician too. Can you guess which one was the musician?

Yup, it was the self proclaimed deaf guy!

Add into the mix that some people prefer different types of sound, with vastly different sensitivities, then follow the rule - listen carefully for yourself before you buy.

That said, the tens of thousands of Mojo owners, plus the reviews, plus the enthusiastic posters here talking about Mojo's musicality, can't all be wrong.

Rob 

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #14,144 of 42,765
  Good post! I enjoyed reading it. I actually relate in some ways, I don't know how audiophile-esque I am either, so I'm anxious to hear it and see what my conclusions are. One thing is for sure, I do not like the HD800.. I appreciate it, but I don't like it. You might try and audition an Audeze LCD-X if you haven't? 

Anyway, when I wake up in the morning I shall see how the Mojo compares to my now sold iFi Micro iDSD. 
biggrin.gif

I'm 20, so hopefully these ears are up to speed. 

Looking forward to your views and comparisons to the iDSD.

Only 20! - I was older than 20 even 20 short years ago.
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #14,145 of 42,765
  When I was a consultant for silicon companies designing audio chips, we used to have many listening sessions. Generally, it would be listening to small features, or small improvements that I had made - but the whole team would be involved. One engineer, struggled to hear any difference at all, and was self confessed deaf. Another engineer could hear differences, but had difficulty articulating them. The third engineer was excellent - he was as sensitive as myself, and very good at describing differences. Like me he only needed a very short time to accurately evaluate sound quality.

One of the three was a musician too. Can you guess which one was the musician?

Yup, it was the self proclaimed deaf guy!

Add into the mix that some people prefer different types of sound, with vastly different sensitivities, then follow the rule - listen carefully for yourself before you buy.

That said, the tens of thousands of Mojo owners, plus the reviews, plus the enthusiastic posters here talking about Mojo's musicality, can't all be wrong.

Rob 

Well said :) I can't live a single day without Mojo now :)

Thanks a lot Chord, please publish any module for Mojo, we are so eager to test it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back