Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 23, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #14,163 of 42,765
Actually I have searched extensively, and Ken Rockwell's measurements of the iPhone 6+'s DAC show that it's fantastic http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm

Quoting Ken "much better than most audiophile DACs."
So please do your research before giving uneducated advice to others.

Thanks.

He also claimed the iPhone 5 sounds great. He must have low standards, as the one I own is poor. Both the Mojo and my Cowon Plenue M stomp all over it, and I'm not someone that is inclined to over hype differences.

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #14,164 of 42,765
So are the questions you ask over and over.  Plus you been following this thread longer than I have and these questions you ask have been answered several times.

Well that was a new question he asked. :wink:

So, I ordered the Fiio X7 this morning, I'll have it tomorrow. I'm seriously considering ordering the Mojo now as well. Figure I should spend the money now and start enjoying it. Plus, wifey isn't here, easier to hide. Lol

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #14,165 of 42,765
  When I was a consultant for silicon companies designing audio chips, we used to have many listening sessions. Generally, it would be listening to small features, or small improvements that I had made - but the whole team would be involved. One engineer, struggled to hear any difference at all, and was self confessed deaf. Another engineer could hear differences, but had difficulty articulating them. The third engineer was excellent - he was as sensitive as myself, and very good at describing differences. Like me he only needed a very short time to accurately evaluate sound quality.

One of the three was a musician too. Can you guess which one was the musician?

Yup, it was the self proclaimed deaf guy!

Add into the mix that some people prefer different types of sound, with vastly different sensitivities, then follow the rule - listen carefully for yourself before you buy.

That said, the tens of thousands of Mojo owners, plus the reviews, plus the enthusiastic posters here talking about Mojo's musicality, can't all be wrong.

Rob 

Given how different Mojo is from conventional dacs, I honestly feel that the brain needs atleast a week to adjust to the Mojo, in terms of interpreting all the data being thrown at it. I would imagine a short 5 minute listen at a store won't yield much besides "hmm this sounds a bit different, probably sounds worse than my iPhone, yeah that must be it!"  

I suppose the same could be said for any audio gear, but I feel this is even more important for the Mojo , which would also align with many people who state they they feel the Mojo sounds better and better as time goes on, suggesting that their brain is acclimatizing to how the Mojo handles audio.

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #14,166 of 42,765
When I was a consultant for silicon companies designing audio chips, we used to have many listening sessions. Generally, it would be listening to small features, or small improvements that I had made - but the whole team would be involved. One engineer, struggled to hear any difference at all, and was self confessed deaf. Another engineer could hear differences, but had difficulty articulating them. The third engineer was excellent - he was as sensitive as myself, and very good at describing differences. Like me he only needed a very short time to accurately evaluate sound quality.

One of the three was a musician too. Can you guess which one was the musician?

Yup, it was the self proclaimed deaf guy!

Add into the mix that some people prefer different types of sound, with vastly different sensitivities, then follow the rule - listen carefully for yourself before you buy.

That said, the tens of thousands of Mojo owners, plus the reviews, plus the enthusiastic posters here talking about Mojo's musicality, can't all be wrong.

Rob 

I used to work for a Hifi retailer long ago and found that some musicians are not the best judges of a system's musical performance; they tend to focus on the sound of the instrument they play, rather than listening to the music as a whole.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #14,167 of 42,765
Given how different Mojo is from conventional dacs, I honestly feel that the brain needs atleast a week to adjust to the Mojo, in terms of interpreting all the data being thrown at it. I would imagine a short 5 minute listen at a store won't yield much besides "hmm this sounds a bit different, probably sounds worse than my iPhone, yeah that must be it!"  

I suppose the same could be said for any audio gear, but I feel this is even more important for the Mojo , which would also align with many people who state they they feel the Mojo sounds better and better as time goes on, suggesting that their brain is acclimatizing to how the Mojo handles audio.

Lol, it's not that intense, but yeah, I guess it depends on the individuals CPU speed... :wink:

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #14,168 of 42,765
  Well i won't say much about it. I just looked at your Ken's comparison.
Let me copy paste his quotes from a portion:

"While all iOS devices have always sounded great if you have good transfers, the audio output of the iPhone 6 Plus is now so improved that it sounds and measures about as well as professional reference DACs like the Benchmark DAC1 HDR, and better than manyconsumer DACs."

This statement implies how much unbiased review it is.

just FYI .. Benchmark makes the best dacs in this world, and their Dacs are used in all big studios of the world.

I read a little spiel online about a guy who was selling a Theta Ds Pro Basic IIIa. He said he owned a Benchmark DAC2 before the Theta and thought the Theta sounded better than the DAC2 so he sold the Benchmark. He felt the DAC2 was more sterile and had less liveliness than the Theta. Then he said he was selling the Theta Basic IIIa because he thought his Theta Chroma 396 (a cheaper DAC than the Ds Pro BasicIIIa) sounded as good as the IIIa. So.. he went from $2000+ new DAC to a 1994' DAC that has a $2500 MSRP and back down to Theta's bottom of the line DAC (from before 1998).

So really sound is all a preference and just because it is used in a recording studio doesn't make it sound better than everything else. There are mastering studios that use MSB DACs and AD/DAs as well as Meitner DACs and those things go for $20000+ so your argument is invalid.

EDIT: I just realized you were being sarcastic. Mr. Ken Rockwell's reviews show mastery in the art of hyperbole.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #14,169 of 42,765

This is our experience, particularly with the mild adult autism.  

In review, her first experience with the Mojo was Bob Dylan's "Hard Rain" in which he had invited a lot of musicians to join him.  In the live album, the guitarists, in particular, are competing for the spotlight and it is distinct.  Pre-mojo, it sounded overdone and muddy.  With Mojo, it is just too much going on and unpleasant!  For the mild autism, it meant not just a slight headache, but dizziness.  

From there, she went to simpler music, especially acoustic.  She increased the time with Mojo, and became hooked.  She went back to "Hard Rain" and has found that she can now better process the overwhelming 'data' but does not enjoy it.  

With Mojo, my guess work of "DAC v no DAC" and the various music presentation ("Tidal" versus iTunes") has improved dramatically.  

The definition in Mojo is like nothing I have heard before.  It is exciting to hear something, for example, that I have heard for 40 years, as a boy hearing my big sisters listening to the Beach Boys.  Simply, I heard them too often to enjoy their albums, but now listening to their harmonies via Mojo?  Wow.

As someone else wrote about their journey, I do not regret having gone through a number of various Dac and amp combos, with the wish that I simply started with Mojo when it first came out.  The efforts, testing, back and forth, lots of reading of comments and reviews...has all made me appreciate what I have now, even more so.  

It is special.  

If you want to know how special, read (where you can find) the detractors and carefully follow the language.   I tell HR professionals to convince really good applicants to put down an enemy for a reference and then measure their NTP (need to persuade) and you may find a really glowing reference.  
blink.gif

Here is what one wrote.   Notice how he feels the need to describe the Mojo's silence, in particular:   "And if the numbers mean anything, loaded, it even beats out Mojo. Of course, Mojo hisses quite a bit less, and boasts better unloaded performance-by-numbers."

It's a clever method used in propaganda and avoids praising Mojo's silence, while avoiding outright deception.  

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #14,170 of 42,765
The brain breaking in problem I think is actually about us dealing with conventional digital audio - we listen to digital music all the time - TV, Hi-Fi and portable gear and actually listen to un-sampled music probably less than 1% of the time - so our poor brains is saturated by having to deal with the timing problems of sampled digital music - and I guess it has created coping strategies to deal with uncertainty in the timing of transients. Then along comes something different, with the timing uncertainty removed - so the brain has to unlearn the coping mechanisms.

Now I am of course only guessing here, but it was very odd when I first heard Hugo - and that took 9 months for me to get used to the sound - I had this constant feeling that SQ was getting better - it was not Hugo, as new units sounded the same as my old unit.

Having said all that, the first ten seconds of listening to Hugo I knew immediately that something very strange was going on, as the sound was very different to what I was used to, so people should hear the difference that Mojo makes very quickly. But I have the benefit of being an experienced and sensitive listener.

The really curious thing about all this is that the actual timing differences in terms of error is very small - the ear/brain is a remarkably sensitive system, and science has little understanding about things we take for granted, such as out perception of sounds. How does the brain separate sounds out into discrete entities and put an extremely accurate placement tag on it? There is some amazing processing going on for which we have no understanding.

Rob  

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #14,171 of 42,765
So in regards to Windows Phone w/ Mojo, received an email response from Chord on the subject after discovering I could not get my 950XL to send audio...

From Chord's Marketing Manager:

"I'm sorry to say that we have discovered that Windows phones do not work with Mojo as they are unable to install the drivers needed. Other Windows tablets are able to, along with Windows PCs."

Oh well.
frown.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #14,173 of 42,765
The brain breaking in problem I think is actually about us dealing with conventional digital audio - we listen to digital music all the time - TV, Hi-Fi and portable gear and actually listen to un-sampled music probably less than 1% of the time - so our poor brains is saturated by having to deal with the timing problems of sampled digital music - and I guess it has created coping strategies to deal with uncertainty in the timing of transients. Then along comes something different, with the timing uncertainty removed - so the brain has to unlearn the coping mechanisms.

Now I am of course only guessing here, but it was very odd when I first heard Hugo - and that took 9 months for me to get used to the sound - I had this constant feeling that SQ was getting better - it was not Hugo, as new units sounded the same as my old unit.

Having said all that, the first ten seconds of listening to Hugo I knew immediately that something very strange was going on, as the sound was very different to what I was used to, so people should hear the difference that Mojo makes very quickly. But I have the benefit of being an experienced and sensitive listener.

The really curious thing about all this is that the actual timing differences in terms of error is very small - the ear/brain is a remarkably sensitive system, and science has little understanding about things we take for granted, such as out perception of sounds. How does the brain separate sounds out into discrete entities and put an extremely accurate placement tag on it? There is some amazing processing going on for which we have no understanding.

Rob  

Rob,
I have been listening to mojo non stop for a couple months now. Recently I have switched to using my Fiio x7, then back to mojo. I am trying to convince myself I don't need the stack. However, the x7 feels harsh, disjointed, rough, generally not "put together" . It is like in the x7 I am hearing several layers of the music all put on top of each other, but none of them fit very well like a poorly cut puzzle piece. The Mojo feels like the musical layers are put together smoothly (seamlessly) and no longer does the music have a harsh edge to it. Not a harsh edge in terms of a bright sound, but in terms of an unpleasant aound/feeling it produces that I cannot see clearly.

You think this is the timing issue you are talking about?

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #14,175 of 42,765
bavinck-Please stop bro!! I ordered the X7 this morning, I'm getting a mojo, was trying to put it off, but posts like your are forcing me to purchase that today as well!!

Lol, sorry dude. Honestly, the x7 is my most regretted hifi purchase to date. Worse, I scrapped it's easy to scrape surface in two places and therefore cannot return or sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back