Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 26, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #10,021 of 42,773
  I discovered, Mojo sounds much nicer to the ear via usb than coax. Why is that?
I use Mojo with Foobar Asio driver and Android. The sound is much smoother than coax or optical. Livelier with better bass (quantity and quality). I tried coax from DX80, and while it is still a nice sound, highs are more piercing, and hurts my ears after a while. Sound is very clear and transparent, but not that consistent as usb. Coax sounded like crystal clear needles to my ears. While usb is a velvety smooth night sky with stars.

I'd love to hear someone's take on this since I'm debating between this and the Grace Design X Massdrop M9XX.  I'd like to use it in a similar fashion as you.

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #10,022 of 42,773
I believe I read that clicks within the main region were 1db each, but much finer at the extremes (where one ball stays solid and only the other cycles through the colors). Certainly not 5db per click at any point.

That would mean I'm normally listening at less than 10db.

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #10,023 of 42,773
  I'd love to hear someone's take on this since I'm debating between this and the Grace Design X Massdrop M9XX.  I'd like to use it in a similar fashion as you.

I was also wondering between these two, since portability is not that important to me. Reviews say there is not much of a sq difference between them. Mojo is better with IEMs than M9XX. But I do not care much about that, as mainly I use full size open. I bought Mojo as it was more available here, and I also had a great deal on it. No regrets at all. I do not even care too much anymore about M9XX, as Mojo keeps me amazed day by day since I bought it. (Two weeks ago.)

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #10,026 of 42,773
I'm using the Plenue M, optical out into the Mojo... for the person that asked earlier, I forgot to press the Quote button!
Is it good?

Yes. The Plenue M is pretty good by itself but the sound is bigger, bolder and more detailed with the Mojo.

The tricky question is would I carry both as a truly portable system... at the moment I'm not sure that I would given that the Plenue is very listenable standalone, and there's always the concern about how robust the optical cable is.

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #10,027 of 42,773

Yes. The Plenue M is pretty good by itself but the sound is bigger, bolder and more detailed with the Mojo.

The tricky question is would I carry both as a truly portable system... at the moment I'm not sure that I would given that the Plenue is very listenable standalone, and there's always the concern about how robust the optical cable is.

Wait... I think Plenue M and 1's optical out is just the phone out? So when you connecting it to Mojo you are using the DAC of Mojo instead of PM, which means the sound signature would be different, rather than simply amped.

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #10,028 of 42,773
Wait... I think Plenue M and 1's optical out is just the phone out? So when you connecting it to Mojo you are using the DAC of Mojo instead of PM, which means the sound signature would be different, rather than simply amped.

No, the optical out is digital and not the same as the headphone out. Yes, the only way to use the Mojo is to feed it a digital signal to use its Digital to Analogue Converter, the magic of the Mojo.

Jan 26, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #10,030 of 42,773

I suspect your confusion is caused by the Plenue M's headphone out and optical out using the same dual purpose socket...? 

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #10,032 of 42,773
+1

I like getting personal e-mails from Todd.  I had a problem with my iPhone-Mojo-CCK connection and Todd was very helpful.  It was a defective Apple CCK.  I also personally wouldn't buy an expensive silver interconnect like Moon sells that still needs the Apple CCK.  Use the cable that comes from Chord and the CCK or look for less expensive 3rd party solutions in the 3rd post.

At $599 for the product of the year I doubt that you are going to find serious discounts.

Understand your point of view, but please remember that any cable made with the mFi chip in it that isn't an official Apple cable (like the CCK) or Apple certified cable is technically a hack. Due to this there is the chance that Apple finds a way to block such hacks in the future and then you'd be left with an unsupported cable. Just an FYI. Cheers

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #10,034 of 42,773
That would mean I'm normally listening at less than 10db.

10db of gain? I think the only way to know would be to measure the output and add that gain to your ciem's sensitivity. If it were 10db (10 mW), with 22ohm iems that would require about 0.5w. Also, with 115db sensitivity, that would give you a 132db spl...and you'd be deaf now, I think (but my math could be off).

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #10,035 of 42,773
Can't argue with that but I bought two alternative "hacked" cables and two CCK adaptors for the price of another vendor's CCK-requiring solution.  I own a lot of Apple products but that doesn't mean that I have to respect the constraints they try to place on my fair use.  Everybody has to decide for themselves how they want to spend their money.  Some people hear a difference between copper and silver, I don't so I save a lot of $$.

On a technical note, you state the "hacked" cables start with a Apple CCK to get the chip so I'm not sure it's really much of a hack that might annoy Apple.  Do we know this for sure or has the chip been cloned?  That would of course be of more concern to Apple or any other vendor.

From my point of view the risk is that if it fails Apple isn't going to fix or replace it.  I have already had one defective CCK so this is a real possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back