Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 29, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #7,891 of 42,765

The pair look nice with the size. Did you mod the h120 with a CF card and where did you get the cable?
Thanks for posting the pic. 

the player is just standard as for the cable I'm sure its a sysconcept one

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #7,892 of 42,765
thank you for making good sound affordable. really happy with my purchase as i bought without audition and based on feedback. my best audio buy ever!

Quote:

I do not buy this all. You need to bear in mind several facts:

1. The battery is capable of delivering 3A of current, and has very low impedance.
2. Mojo amplifier has a very high power supply rejection ratio.
3. The output is pure class A at 5v RMS into 300 ohm.
4. Reducing the output load only starts to increase distortion with 33 ohms - at this level it is very much lower than other headphone amps. The HD25 is a very easy 70 ohms.
5. Mojo is designed to drive loudspeakers. You will be amazed hearing it fill the room with beautiful sound using efficient 8 ohm horn loudspeakers.

Some people like the sound of more distortion - 2nd harmonic fattens the sound making everything sound phat, soft and rounded. But its not natural, nor do I find it musical, as everything sounds phat. I want soft sounds to sound soft, and sharp sounds to sound sharp - not everything to have a soft sheen on things all the time.

I can give you another example. I just had an email today from a very experienced dealer that asked me this question:

"Chord Mojo should have single amplification which drive to both headphone output, but if I'm using any headphones (HD800 for example, very heavy to drive) to put on headphone output 1 and I connect another headphone to headphone output 2 (Beyer T1 for example), I hear no differences on sound quality. Normally if one amplification section used to drive 2 headphones output, then once we connect the second headphone will make overall sound quality degradation (as the case of Beyerdynamic A20 amp, Grace Design M903, etc). What is the logical explanation of this? As it seems Mojo has 2 separate amplification sections which drive independently for each headphone output."

Of course Mojo does not have two amplification stages. It can drive two headphones with ease because it has exceptional low output impedance, and it has exceptional current linearity. So loading it with more headphones has no effect, unlike other headphone amplifiers.

Indeed, when I initially started designing Hugo I was shocked how poor from a measurement point of view headphone amps were. Poor output impedance, huge levels of distortion, and poor current linearity seem to be typical. And these things matter, if your goal is transparency and musicality. 

Rob

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #7,893 of 42,765
I just realized that Sys Concept is about 2 minutes from my folks house, which I was just visiting for the holidays. Really wish I clued in sooner and checked them out before I flew home.

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #7,894 of 42,765
Here are my thoughts about what source to use with the Mojo: Use the one that is the most convenient to you. If there's an advantage to using any kind of DAP, it would be one that has an optical output, as that wont carry noise over to the Mojo, unlike some phones, including the iPhone, that seem to be a bit noisy.  Once you've decided on a suitable device, then consider a convenient cable to use. Start cheap though.

If you're going to be spending a great many hours using a phone as the transport for the Mojo, then, and only then maybe care a bit about which player or cable you use, as the differences between players and cables, IMO, aren't so great that they would be worth bothering about otherwise. They are certainly below the threshold at which I'd suggest anyone take me at my word about my impressions of them. :smile:  
I think you are neglecting the most important aspect for us gear fanatics : cuteness and coolness. These key criteria led me to follow in the footsteps of my friend ShotgunShane and get an Ak100 mk2 sapphire, size match + blue awesomeness.

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #7,895 of 42,765
After I got my Mojo awhile ago, I told the shop owner that I'm eyeing an AK100 to strap onto the Mojo but he discouraged me due to the slugginess.

He's got a point though.Given that the AK100 is an aging DAP already, and with increasing mSD capacities, wouldn't the entire process of browsing through songs be too slow?

Its too bad since the size of those two perfectly match each other.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #7,896 of 42,765
After I got my Mojo awhile ago, I told the shop owner that I'm eyeing an AK100 to strap onto the Mojo but he discouraged me due to the slugginess.

He's got a point though.Given that the AK100 is an aging DAP already, and with increasing mSD capacities, wouldn't the entire process of browsing through songs be too slow?

I have two 128GB cards and 32GB internal full of music. Browsing is flawless.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #7,897 of 42,765

I have two 128GB cards and 32GB internal full of music. Browsing is flawless.

Perhaps album art may account for some differences in browsing speed, from one owner to another.  That's certainly the case for DX80 etc.

That, and some people having 10 billion mp3s on a 128gb card, whilst others have a thousand flacs (I'm exaggerating, to make a point, obviously)

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #7,898 of 42,765

I have 2 200gb micro sd and 7k+ of alac files of mixed sample rates. (most are16/44.1k). Not the fastest scroll speed but not sluggish IME. Delays short freeze mostly happen during startup.

Just organize your folder structure properly and use folder browsing and you are all set.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #7,901 of 42,765
  Ohhhh, that's good to hear.

All those used but cheap AK100s being sold in our local forums seems more appealing now!

was looking at getting one myself but can't decide 

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #7,902 of 42,765
  Yes I had both and as soon as I heard the Mojo the HA-2 had to go, no comparison at all. If you buy the HA-2 and end up selling after a few months you will lose money, just buy the Mojo from the start. I'm now selling my PM-3 and upgrading to HD800's or PM-1, after that I don't see there is any further to go.

Thanks man, appreciate the response/advice :wink:

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #7,903 of 42,765
here another happy Mojo owner.

Been playing around with it and the sound is incredible!

If I use a computer as a source the Mojo is significantly better than my Marantz HD-DAC1 imo, no matter the cables used.

I noticed that feeding the Mojo with the digital out from my CD-player(s) (optical or coax) it again sounds significantly better than feeding the Mojo from my MBP, iPad or Windows computer. It doesn't matter which software used (JRiver, Audirvana, Bitperfect, Foobar, HQPlayer, Roon etc) or what software settings (dither or no dither, upsampling, no-upsampling different converter(settings). Everytime the digital out of the trusty old CD-player(s) is more realistic and has better definition/timing.

Here is the odd thing: if I feed the Marantz the digital out from the CD-player it's on par on SQ with the Mojo although slightly different.

I can easily live with the SQ from Mojo with the computer or other mobile electronic devices as a transport but for serious listening sessions my CD-Players (as transports) are put to work again.
My CD-players are Audiolab 8200CDQ and Onkyo DX7555
Headphones used: HD600, Focal Spirit Pro, HD25, Grado SR60i

Curious if other Mojo owners have the same experience.

happy listening!

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #7,904 of 42,765
I own both the AK100 and AK120 and fill both slots with 128GB cards. Total songs in the device is around 8500. No lag or delay at all when browsing or playing EXCEPT when playing DSD files. Then browsing becomes slightly laggy and delayed. If you pause the track, everything is back to being smooth again.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #7,905 of 42,765
Joining the Chord Mojo team! I can't resist anymore! :) it also helped that the Mojo is small so I can adjust the decimal point of the price to declare to the Mrs :wink: and now, just waiting for the arrival of the LC!!! But for now, will just enjoy this first. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back