Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 28, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #7,877 of 42,765
  I have been listening to my Mojo on it's own and with my vorzuge pure II+ going back and forth and it is an interesting experiment......on it's own to my ears the mojo is warmer and smoother a really nice experience...with the vorzuge the warmth is reduced and the sound to my ears becomes more like the Hugo...a larger soundstage,a bit more detail......in some sense it like going from an LCD-3 to an HD800....very interesting to listen to the difference between the same recordings....it is impossible to match volume exactly obviously but one can get a very good sense of the 2 different versions of sound.......i wonder if others have similar thoughts?FWIIW i think the vorzuge is the best portable amp i have ever heard,i have not had a chance to sample the new Cavalli for comparison which i plan to do at some point although i would be very surprised if it is dramatically better than the vorzuge

That is pretty much the same impression I got and how my current portable stack is configured. It's not a big difference, but since I already had the Pure II+ before Mojo, I am using the 2 together. If I only had Mojo, I may not bother with the extra expense and bulk of the stack. However, they do fit very well with all the ports in the right places.

On a related note, I'm not sure how the Pure II+ creates more perceived detail considering it's just an amp, but I got the same extended detail when connected to an AK240 with RWA mod. It does border on sibilance with some recordings so some folks may not like it.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #7,878 of 42,765
the mojo sounds damn good on its own,i have no problem with it solo...i do enjoy experimenting with the combinations and the different results.....i do like the wider soundstage and detail i hear with the vorzuge added......but i also like the warmth i hear with the mojo solo

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #7,879 of 42,765
I have been listening to my Mojo on it's own and with my vorzuge pure II+ going back and forth and it is an interesting experiment......on it's own to my ears the mojo is warmer and smoother a really nice experience...with the vorzuge the warmth is reduced and the sound to my ears becomes more like the Hugo...a larger soundstage,a bit more detail......in some sense it like going from an LCD-3 to an HD800....very interesting to listen to the difference between the same recordings....it is impossible to match volume exactly obviously but one can get a very good sense of the 2 different versions of sound.......i wonder if others have similar thoughts?FWIIW i think the vorzuge is the best portable amp i have ever heard,i have not had a chance to sample the new Cavalli for comparison which i plan to do at some point although i would be very surprised if it is dramatically better than the vorzuge

This is pretty much what I feel about the hdvd 800 and mojo as well, regarding soundstage and details.

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #7,880 of 42,765
  A hard decision to make is should I buy this which I already know is awesome or wait to see the new iBasso DX200. Cant buy both one or the other.

Why are DAPs trending on becoming bigger? Yet their amp can barely drive full size headphone? I suppose there is a race to become the Android version of iPod touch. 

Beside that, the bugs and UI issues might be a bigger issue (knowing iBasso) when it comes out 
tongue_smile.gif

With Mojo, you can have versatility with the sources you can use. An AK100+ Mojo may be the most compact setup among the options.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #7,881 of 42,765

Why are DAPs trending on becoming bigger? Yet their amp can barely drive full size headphone? I suppose there is a race to become the Android version of iPod touch. 

Beside that, the bugs and UI issues might be a bigger issue (knowing iBasso) when it comes out 
tongue_smile.gif

With Mojo, you can have versatility with the sources you can use. An AK100+ Mojo may be the most compact setup among the options.

I think you'll find that many top-end DAPs put out enough voltage to power high-end cans just right. If you need more voltage than they give, you are damaging your ears. Recently, Sensaphonics brought SPL meters to a show and allowed show-goers to test the loudness of their headphones and earphones at typical at-home listening. Even people that assumed they were listening at 80dB were listening around 100dB. 

It's not a game. Maybe loud sounds better, but it only will for the life of your ears. Which, at volumes at which you think a high-end DAP isn't able to cut it, is very, very short.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #7,882 of 42,765

I think sometime I'm going to have to see if I can't get an extended audition with the Vorzuge. I keep hearing about wide soundstages and all that. That, and a Mass Kobo amp, but I'm ahead of myself here.

A wide and airy stage yes but at the expense of losing the meaty and immediate center image of the mojo alone.

That's a bit of a worry. Has anyone checked that the channels are wired in phase in the amp? Out-of-phase wiring comes through as a lack of centre image.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #7,883 of 42,765
That's a bit of a worry. Has anyone checked that the channels are wired in phase in the amp? Out-of-phase wiring comes through as a lack of centre image.

It's not anything that exaggerated. I've heard two different Pure 2's. Out of all the portable amps or dac/amp combos I've tried, the Picollo (amp only) and Mojo are the only two that have a truly fantastic center image. As a consequence, neither sound grand or wide. It's all relative though.

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #7,884 of 42,765
Another Pure II+ user here, and agreed with those posters in the past few posts - definitely makes a positive difference...

Dec 29, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #7,887 of 42,765
Hey Guys, I've decided to try my hand at higher level audio and have been hovering around the boards!

I'm looking at getting a pair of Oppo PM-3 Headphones as id also like to travel with them (aircraft etc), and from the sounds the headphones tick a decent amount of boxes.

My questions is, given that I am starting out, do you think it would be worth me getting a Chord Mojo (and just biting the extra expense)- or should i start out with something like a Oppo HA-2?

I guess the question is, would someone starting out be able to really appreciate the difference in audio?

Has anybody who owns the PM3's experienced both DACs by chance? Thoughts?

Appreciate it!
Ryan

Dec 29, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #7,888 of 42,765
  Hey Guys, I've decided to try my hand at higher level audio and have been hovering around the boards!

I'm looking at getting a pair of Oppo PM-3 Headphones as id also like to travel with them (aircraft etc), and from the sounds the headphones tick a decent amount of boxes.

My questions is, given that I am starting out, do you think it would be worth me getting a Chord Mojo (and just biting the extra expense)- or should i start out with something like a Oppo HA-2?

I guess the question is, would someone starting out be able to really appreciate the difference in audio?

Has anybody who owns the PM3's experienced both DACs by chance? Thoughts?

Appreciate it!
Ryan

Yes I had both and as soon as I heard the Mojo the HA-2 had to go, no comparison at all. If you buy the HA-2 and end up selling after a few months you will lose money, just buy the Mojo from the start. I'm now selling my PM-3 and upgrading to HD800's or PM-1, after that I don't see there is any further to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back