Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 24, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #7,501 of 42,765
On it's own it will not drive the bass on the AQNH. This is an awesome IEM solution, adequate over ear but not going to drive SZ or TH600/900 Denon D5,7K or the like into bass bliss.
Nobody claimed it would and I will leave the bass demo which I did out of my review and save it for a separate vid.
I assume the handle you have is related to bass....if not just ignore the bass talk:wink:

It is about on power level into 16ohm as an iFi nano and less then a Fiio e18.

Oh, the handle carried on from way back then when I first started looking for HT setups and HSU subwoofers lol. Since then it's been awhile and don't care for impact on bass any longer, as long as details in bass are there it's all good. Taste have changed and looking mostly for tone, refinement and overall balance nowadays :D I trust Robs musical taste coming from a Hugo owner so can say I'm excited! Looking to use this with my headphones since Im using the Hugo with speaker setup :)

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #7,502 of 42,765
I use Hugo with a power amp and monitor audio rs12w sealed sub both fed from the rca out of Hugo using a rca splitter and the sub definitely adds more depth to the soundstage and even magically improves the treble quality. but the key is the matching of sub with speakers by the correct setting of cross over and volume dial of sub. luckily ma sub has continiously variable manual knob and so is the volume control. these days not many subs have manual control.

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #7,503 of 42,765
Oh, the handle carried on from way back then when I first started looking for HT setups and HSU subwoofers lol. Since then it's been awhile and don't care for impact on bass any longer, as long as details in bass are there it's all good. Taste have changed and looking mostly for tone, refinement and overall balance nowadays
biggrin.gif
I trust Robs musical taste coming from a Hugo owner so can say I'm excited! Looking to use this with my headphones since Im using the Hugo with speaker setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Retired basshead
biggrin.gif

It is awesomeness in a block of aluminum. Money well spent.. to say the least

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #7,504 of 42,765
I have looked through this tread hoping to find s solution but no luck (I could have missed it). I have an AK100 II and the mojo. I had a fiber optic cable that was cheap and wouldn't let me play anything above 96kHz. So my new cable fley in from Canada today and I thought that was the answer. I was wrong I still get a loud poping sound but no music. Same with DSD. Toslink to optical on the mojo. I await this wisdom of the Mojo gods.
Thanks

Hi Kenny,

I own the AK100 Mk2 and AK120 and have no issues with Optical to Mojo. All my mp3s, flac and DSD files play flawlessly without issue. It's transferring bit perfect to the Mojo.
Would your new cable allow you to play any files at all? Or just files that are below 96kHz?

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #7,506 of 42,765
Clarification: I'm not using Roxannes and HD800s at the same time.  What I'm saying is that by giving the Mojo amp enough power and gain to get the HD800s listenable, it becomes too noisy for IEM use.  This is especially annoying for me, as a portable amp can take high end CIEMs to the top.  They'll always be a compromise for full sized headphones though, especially those as challenging to amp as the HD800s.

The only way I know of to sort of accommodate all headphones is to have high and low gain modes.  The base noise floor drops in low, making it sufficiently quiet for any IEM.  High gain is at least acceptable for full size planars.  To name a few examples, Head Amp's Pico and Leckerton's UHA-6S.MKII do this extremely well.

Mojo is completely noise/hiss free with my SE846s

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #7,507 of 42,765
is the optical plug all the way in? Sometimes either the Toslink plug or the mini-optical plug can seem like they in, but they haven't clicked.

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #7,509 of 42,765
Just files below 96. Weird.

Hi Kenny,
Is the cable from Canada from Sysconcepts? If they are, it shouldn't have issues with hi-res files up to 192kHz.
If the cable isn't from Sysconcepts, there's a possibility that the cable itself isn't capable of supporting the higher res files. A few head-fiers have noted that optical cables, especially plastic ones with varying quality can vary the support of files higher than 96.
Hope this helps

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #7,511 of 42,765
Thank you very much again for taking the time. I think that if it doesn't store you volume output in line-out mode, then it could be a problem.

I intend feeding active speakers with it as much as my headphones. I would switch it off betwen uses I think, but it means switching on maybe ten times a day. (That would mean a lot of button pressing to get it to about 1.23V rms.) I don't know how safe it is to load an input stage with 3V rms, which is almost double standard voltage. It must be OK though or surely Chord Electronics would not have done it. Others are using it as a hi-fi DAC too I think.

I hope Chord Electronics cast some clarity on this too. I hope someone tells me it's OK. I think it should be OK, as I say Chord have implemented it.

EDIT: I just checked and I see my Meridian Explorer line-out is set at 2V rms. That fits with what you said about CD players. Feeling a little more hopeful now. Thanks again 'sandalaudio'.
Just to confirm that mojo stores it's last volume setting when switched off and will return it on powering up. So any level previously used will return as was. Note the three volt set level is not s default setting and was included as a known set level that is the same and has been standard for all chord Dac since the Dac 64 twenty years ago. Those pre or power amps that cannot tolerate this level is an indicator that they have not been designed with sufficient input level margin. However this is not a problem for Mojo customers as they can select any level that suits their ancillary equipment.

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #7,512 of 42,765
Have a great one guys! 
beerchug.gif
L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

XMAS? - blink and it is all over and all you are left with is a hangover that lasts for days, a few pounds on your Ass and an empty wallet, what else could you wish for!
angry_face.gif

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #7,513 of 42,765
  Rob49 there are many people, myself included, who are very happy with their purchases of the Chord Mojo as well as excellent customer service.
If you have any doubt you should consider many other device which will guarantee you problem free usage 

Mojo is not for you, we get it,

How can I say it's not for me, when at this point, I don't actually own one !! ?? ( I'm thrilled, beyond words, that you're enjoying your Mojo !! )

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #7,514 of 42,765
I have looked through this tread hoping to find s solution but no luck (I could have missed it). I have an AK100 II and the mojo. I had a fiber optic cable that was cheap and wouldn't let me play anything above 96kHz. So my new cable fley in from Canada today and I thought that was the answer. I was wrong I still get a loud poping sound but no music. Same with DSD. Toslink to optical on the mojo. I await this wisdom of the Mojo gods.
Thanks

I purchased a sysconcepts optical cable to use my AK120 as a transport with my Mojo and it plays 24/192 and DSD flawless.

Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

Back