Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 1, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #3,391 of 42,765
  Wow, I'm now wondering how the Mojo stacks up against the Chord 2Qute (which has the same DAC section as the Hugo and which I'm thinking of buying).  The Mojo's certainly shown up the DAC V1, which I now find difficult to listen to after the Mojo..

I think the Mojo is better than the Chord 2Qute by quite a large margin in all areas, and it looks nicer too.

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #3,392 of 42,765
Hi, I have followed this thread for some time
I would like to know where can I find a good micro to microB (OTG)
to connect between my Samsung Galaxy S4 to the chord Mojo?
price around 50 US dollars and length around 20-30 cm

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #3,393 of 42,765
Sony Z5, Mojo, T70p, Beatles 24bit USB stick.

BLIMEY.

Shockingly good. That's my Sunday night planned.

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #3,394 of 42,765

They're not closed back, but since you mentioned pacing and timing, I would suggest the Hifimans or Ether. They are very quick, but admittedly, not as dark sounding as the TH-900's. 

If you absolutely need closed back, then Ether C or Audeze XC maybe? I liked the Ether more than the Ether C, however, and I haven't heard the Audeze XC. 

Might anything less dark than the TH-900s be taking the sound signature in the wrong direction? Unless the TH-900s are just peaky at the wrong frequencies...

Closed vs open is the easiest compromise to make at present. The XCs and ether C are over budget this time, I was looking closer to HD-650 price than TH-900.

You've dropped on my dilemma though... finding the headphone that mixes the desired characteristics of the two I have isn't proving to be easy!

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #3,395 of 42,765
Sony Z5, Mojo, T70p, Beatles 24bit USB stick.

BLIMEY.

Shockingly good. That's my Sunday night planned.

Sounds good to me! 
atsmile.gif

Just two questions:

How would you connect the USB stick in combination with Sony Z5 & Mojo?
Where to find this Beatles 24bit collection?

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #3,396 of 42,765

Might anything less dark than the TH-900s be taking the sound signature in the wrong direction? Unless the TH-900s are just peaky at the wrong frequencies...

Closed vs open is the easiest compromise to make at present. The XCs and ether C are over budget this time, I was looking closer to HD-650 price than TH-900.

You've dropped on my dilemma though... finding the headphone that mixes the desired characteristics of the two I have isn't proving to be easy!

Actually, I think it's just an issue of the TH-900 being such a unique headphone (I have a pair myself). It somehow manages to be dark, yet quick and energetic at the same time... it's very unique to the headphones. Usually when headphones are dark, they are mellow, like the HD-650 or the Audeze's. 

So if you're looking for "quick and fast pace", I think the Hifi-man planar magnetics (other than Audeze's, which as I mentioned before, are dark) would be a good choice. Hifi-man does have cheaper planar magnetics in the HD-650 price range. 

But, of course, ultimately you should listen for yourself, and find what works for you. I hope you're not going to base a purchasing decision completely on some stranger's advice. 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #3,397 of 42,765
They're not closed back, but since you mentioned pacing and timing, I would suggest the Hifimans or Ether. They are very quick, but admittedly, not as dark sounding as the TH-900's. 

If you absolutely need closed back, then Ether C or Audeze XC maybe? I liked the Ether more than the Ether C, however, and I haven't heard the Audeze XC. 

The XC isn't a great can for me. Wonky treble and terrible comfort. Closed but not in the least portable. I'm heading to Fedex to collect my Ether C in a couple of minutes after I collect the Mojo from the dealer, suspect that if the C shares the lovely extended and smooth treble of the Ether it'll be a good choice for someone having difficulty with poorer recordings.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #3,398 of 42,765

Actually, I think it's just an issue of the TH-900 being such a unique headphone (I have a pair myself). It somehow manages to be dark, yet quick and energetic at the same time... it's very unique to the headphones. Usually when headphones are dark, they are mellow, like the HD-650 or the Audeze's. 

So if you're looking for "quick and fast pace", I think the Hifi-man planar magnetics (other than Audeze's, which as I mentioned before, are dark) would be a good choice. Hifi-man does have cheaper planar magnetics in the HD-650 price range. 

But, of course, ultimately you should listen for yourself, and find what works for you. I hope you're not going to base a purchasing decision completely on some stranger's advice. 
tongue_smile.gif

I'd formed the same view of the TH-900s, as you say dark often equates to somewhat slow. The new Hifiman 400s did also sound promising but they're obviously not closed. My bigger concern on Hifiman is historical reliability issues, but I'm guessing they're better than they used to be as they're still in business some years later.

Anyone that knows me would know that I can be a rather cynical individual (or being charitable to myself 'experienced in life'), so I never take anyone's advice at face value, whether free or paid for... 
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #3,399 of 42,765
Having had the Mojo for a couple of weeks now, I've got a system balance quibble.

My main headphones are Fostex TH-900s, which I'm happy with when combined with the Mojo on decent to well recorded material, but I find the combination to be unforgiving with lower quality recordings. Unforgiving beyond the point of being tolerable to listen to for very long.

My other headphones are HD-650s, which are much more forgiving tonally, but I've always found them somewhat slow paced on more energetic forms of music (e.g. electric blues); which is why I bought the TH-900s.

So, an ideal match would seem to be a slightly darker sounding headphone than the TH-900s that has better pace and timing than the HD-650s. Ideally closed back, so they can be used anywhere. They'll probably only be used with the Mojo as a travel system, hence why I'm asking here rather than in one of the headphone forums.

Oppo PM-3s are the best option I've come up with so far but I'd like a short-list that I can then audition.

Any suggestions?

PM-3s are amazing with Mojo. I'm very happy with this pairing. I feel Mojo brings out the best in PM-3.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #3,400 of 42,765
The XC isn't a great can for me. Wonky treble and terrible comfort. Closed but not in the least portable. I'm heading to Fedex to collect my Ether C in a couple of minutes after I collect the Mojo from the dealer, suspect that if the C shares the lovely extended and smooth treble of the Ether it'll be a good choice for someone having difficulty with poorer recordings.

Thanks, I should have said that I've been spoiled regarding comfort by the TH-900s. HD-650s are ok (I have slightly large and sticky out ears) and my now retired Stax Lambdas are just horribly uncomfortable.

Good luck with the Ethers, and please let us know how they pair with the Mojo.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #3,401 of 42,765
Having had the Mojo for a couple of weeks now, I've got a system balance quibble.

My main headphones are Fostex TH-900s, which I'm happy with when combined with the Mojo on decent to well recorded material, but I find the combination to be unforgiving with lower quality recordings. Unforgiving beyond the point of being tolerable to listen to for very long.

My other headphones are HD-650s, which are much more forgiving tonally, but I've always found them somewhat slow paced on more energetic forms of music (e.g. electric blues); which is why I bought the TH-900s.

So, an ideal match would seem to be a slightly darker sounding headphone than the TH-900s that has better pace and timing than the HD-650s. Ideally closed back, so they can be used anywhere. They'll probably only be used with the Mojo as a travel system, hence why I'm asking here rather than in one of the headphone forums.

Oppo PM-3s are the best option I've come up with so far but I'd like a short-list that I can then audition.

Any suggestions?

I wanted closed back HD600s for my commute and bought the PM-3s - they do a great job (and sound pretty similar) and require a lot less driving than the Sennheisers.  They are also very comfortable and seem to be incredibly well built.  I stop at about 2 hours and switch to IEMs in the office so I'm not sure what they'd be like all day.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #3,402 of 42,765
  I wanted closed back HD600s for my commute and bought the PM-3s - they do a great job (and sound pretty similar) and require a lot less driving than the Sennheisers.  They are also very comfortable and seem to be incredibly well built.  I stop at about 2 hours and switch to IEMs in the office so I'm not sure what they'd be like all day.

Has anyone ever compared the PM-3 to the Alpha Dogs? I own the HD600s and I have been looking at the PM-3 since it looks more portable than the Alpha Dog. I am just worried that I might be underwhelmed by the sound. I remember reading some impressions way back about something wonky with the PM-3 but I haven't seen anyone compare them to the AD.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #3,403 of 42,765

PM-3s are amazing with Mojo. I'm very happy with this pairing. I feel Mojo brings out the best in PM-3.

Thanks both, the PM-3 are sounding better and better. James, are they any more energetic than the Senns?

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #3,404 of 42,765

Any suggestions?

Don't forget to give the Philips Fidelio X2 an audition.
Yes, they are open cans but  very dynamic and really forgiving on Lo-Fi material.
Sound leakage is acceptable compared to f.i. AKG K702 (according to my girlfriend). 
They need around eighty hours of burn in to really shine though.
Extremely comfy also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back