Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 5, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #10,786 of 42,765
Could iTunes be sampling the music before sending it to mojo? I highly suggest looking into Jriver or similar audiophile software, iTunes doesn't even play flac. Also give it some time, mojo reveals itself slowly.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've D/L'd both Audirvna plus and JRiver MC21trials (been looking for configuration suggestion to read up on, not exactly intuitive Jriver that is).  I do plan on spending time with it. Appreciate it.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #10,787 of 42,765

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've D/L'd both Audirvna plus and JRiver MC21trials (been looking for configuration suggestion to read up on, not exactly intuitive Jriver that is).  I do plan on spending time with it. Appreciate it.

I believe you wrote that you have a MBP which usually is considered to have a very good DAC; why did you buy additional DACs? (I may have missed the reason).

MBP → SDragon → Mojo →AQ Big Sur trs →LC

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #10,788 of 42,765

I believe you wrote that you have a MBP which usually is considered to have a very good DAC; why did you buy additional DACs? (I may have missed the reason).

In my opinion there is no comparison between the DAC in the MBP and either DAC I have experience with (The Mojo and the Geek Out 450).  From what I've read there are other good choices out there and I would strongly suggest you try one if you can.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #10,789 of 42,765

In my opinion there is no comparison between the DAC in the MBP and either DAC I have experience with (The Mojo and the Geek Out 450).  From what I've read there are other good choices out there and I would strongly suggest you try one if you can.

I was just trying to more understand your original post and the follow-up. Thanks for the advice.

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #10,791 of 42,765
  Anyone tried the Mojo with the Hifi function of the LG V10 mobile phone? Is there any notable difference with turning Hifi off?

one of my setup is LG V10 with Mojo, but when you use it with micro usb otg  - so it it digital output from phone - no HiFi function sign  - it is only on when you plug in 3.5 jack (analog). No analog input in Mojo. But via OTG, with "Dac Fix " Hifi Everywhere" sound real more open and more 3d like.
for my ears LG V10 + Mojo combo sounds outstanding - and real different from another setup I've tried DP-X1 + Mojo.
Both sounds great, just depends with IEM you use, best synergy for  me in this combo LG V10 + Mojo is NAD Viso HP20, for second setup  Onkyo DP-X1 + Mojo is Zero Audio Duoza.

also tried ATH-IM70 - clamped bass, maybe needs additional burn in
ATH-IM02  - BA sound, for me is too cold&sharp

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #10,792 of 42,765
anybody can tell about the media player which uses asio driver for sound ? vlc player uses mojo as a device and not the mojo asio driver, the result is that the volume control of both vlc and tab remain active unlike foobar where selecting asio bypasses the volume of tab.

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #10,793 of 42,765
wow, wow and wow. never heard so much purest form of music. take 5 from time out on fiio x3 transport, mojo and dt880 600ohm, is the best I have ever heard. I bet this combo can beat far more expensive set up both in portable and full system categories. thix is when mojo is not burnt in yet. thanks a lot chord electronics and rob watts.

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #10,794 of 42,765
After a month of intense listening to Mojo I sold it because I could get a good price for it and because when I turned back to my other dacs when comparing SQ (HDDAC1 and Dragonfly 1.2) it was like "coming home" again. Also I realized that it's probably too expensive to have it sitting next to the Dragonfly and HDDAC1. No regrets.....
It is a good dac though and I enjoyed it thoroughly! 
When comparing Mojo to Dragonfly the most noticeable difference to me was that subbass goes a bit deeper with Dragonfly (Nighthawks, Focal Spirit Pro). With very critical listening I found Mojo has a tiny bit more resolution. Dragonfly however provides better decay and "space"in my system.

Feb 6, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #10,795 of 42,765
can't say about dragon fly but it's far far better than fiio x3, arcam irdac which I earlier had. I have Hugo too but mojo is slight bass heavy and warmer sound signature which I think is more suited for portable use with headphones. Hugo has more open and neutral sound which I use in my speaker system.

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #10,796 of 42,765

@Mython speaks some wise words here. For me it was apparent rather quickly, but I echo that over time I've appreciated the subtleties even more.

There is a chance that Im wrong, but IMO the upper treble abruptly roll-off was an deliberate choice by Chord, otherwise the Mojo would be threat to other Chord more expensive products.
Mojo by itselft already caused a disruption on the mkt, Ive been re-listening to all my albums and found a lot of details that I missed, and its been a pleasure.. but on live recorded albums Mojo greatly reduce the space and room sound propagation sense, caused by the lack of natural treble decay.. but for $600 I really dont care! 
Thanks Chord for bringing the Blues again to my life 
beerchug.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #10,799 of 42,765
  After a month of intense listening to Mojo I sold it because I could get a good price for it and because when I turned back to my other dacs when comparing SQ (HDDAC1 and Dragonfly 1.2) it was like "coming home" again. Also I realized that it's probably too expensive to have it sitting next to the Dragonfly and HDDAC1. No regrets.....
It is a good dac though and I enjoyed it thoroughly! 
When comparing Mojo to Dragonfly the most noticeable difference to me was that subbass goes a bit deeper with Dragonfly (Nighthawks, Focal Spirit Pro). With very critical listening I found Mojo has a tiny bit more resolution. Dragonfly however provides better decay and "space"in my system.

I too am keeping my DF. music, thru the jitterbug, is clean and different enough to spell both the MBP and Explorer DACs. It is convenient in not needing a charge and drives my IEMs and low impedence HPs just fine.

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #10,800 of 42,765
  There is a chance that Im wrong, but IMO the upper treble abruptly roll-off was an deliberate choice by Chord, otherwise the Mojo would be threat to other Chord more expensive products.
Mojo by itselft already caused a disruption on the mkt, Ive been re-listening to all my albums and found a lot of details that I missed, and its been a pleasure.. but on live recorded albums Mojo greatly reduce the space and room sound propagation sense, caused by the lack of natural treble decay.. but for $600 I really dont care! 
Thanks Chord for bringing the Blues again to my life 
beerchug.gif

I don't believe the treble was rolled-off in order to lower Mojos performance in relation to Hugo:

Originally Posted by iKE1985 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My Adel A12's have an impedance of 16 Ohms, will the treble roll off be noticeable with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Watts /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Question to Chord, why the Mojo has a slight treble roll off with an IEM?

White line = Mojo without load , Green line = Mojo with load:

(the slight bass roll of is normal with my sound card)

I would understand if we would have a digital filter like with micro iDSD:

But this isn't the case with Mojo and the frequency change is only with a attached IEM. The output impedance is pretty low with 0,075 ohms, this can't be the reason for the treble roll off.

Example with the cheap HRT dSP dac/amp which has 0,5 ohms output impedance, with the same IEM as on Mojo I tested:

(the slight bass roll of is normal with my sound card)

No treble roll off.

I'd like to know as well – and it's definitely audible.

Maybe Rob Watts will answer this?

Its because the OP stage is integrated with the OP filter. This means that Mojo analogue section is very simple, so giving Mojo's transparency, but the downside is a small variation in frequency response with load impedance.

Rob

No. 10kHz is a negligible -0.1dB, 20kHz -0.6dB.

If I took the filter out you would hear the difference, but its absolutely nothing to do with frequency response but to do with noise floor modulation caused by out of band noise.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back