Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 3, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #10,576 of 42,765
Make sure you're not using a charge-only cable. Devices that don't require data that come with them for charging often only have a charge-only cable, which is useless.

Doesn't make any difference if using the digital output. If it does, then it's a digital volume and it should be at maximum.

Ate you sure, what about the *bit perfect * thing? Can anyone comfirm, I belive you, I'm just confused

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #10,577 of 42,765

Make sure you're not using a charge-only cable. Devices that don't require data that come with them for charging often only have a charge-only cable, which is useless.

Doesn't make any difference if using the digital output. If it does, then it's a digital volume and it should be at maximum.

Ate you sure, what about the *bit perfect * thing? Can anyone comfirm, I belive you, I'm just confused

I just did. If the volume makes no difference to the digital output level, no problem. If it *does* then you need to set to maximum for the output to be bit perfect. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #10,578 of 42,765
Got my Chord Mojo in earlier today, and have been listening to them for about 3-4 hours after they fully charged.

When I first got it in the mail, I was a little taken back. I thought the thing was supposed to be small, but didn't expect it to be THAT small! In my mind I was thinking, I paid $600...and it's this small. My Lyr was like $370 and was this big steel amp w/tubes, so I had been trained to expect really big things the higher the price range. But then I picked up the Mojo, and it made sense. The thing feels really high quality, and is very sexy/appealing (the pictures do not do it justice. I actually thought the pictures of them online, make it look like a plastic/cheap device). But the actual device in person, is actually beautiful! Has a brushed steel feel, and is beautiful in its size/simplicity. I guess the LED lights might be subjective, but I love those too (looks cool at night, and looks futuristic!). Plus you can lower the brightness, if that's not your thing. But overall, it's IMO a very appealing device. Looks much different in person IMO.  

On to the sound:

I'm really really impressed with this thing. It's driving my HD-800 without breaking a sweat, and it sounds so smooth/clear. I was previously using a Schiit Lyr + Fiio E17. I was just looking for a decent upgrade to hold me over for 2-3 years until I could afford a more expensive set up for the HD-800. So I wasn't expecting a huge upgrade, just something that would be decent. And this thing is surpassing what I expected. 

Keeping in mind that i'm a casual audiophile (I don't have trained hearing, and don't understand the technical aspects -- so take my impressions with a grain of salt, or at least with a casuals view). But wow, just wow. It's definitely a big step up from my Lyr/E17 combo.

The difference was night and day right out the gate. Everything sounded so much more clear and smooth, and it has a very tight/punch to it, that I love. It just sounds like a much tighter package. I'm really surprised at how much more powerful things sound, even at lower levels. And the Mojo gives a lot of room to crank the volume up. I have not had the chance to pair the HD-800 with other set ups (just got them a month ago, and am really poor). But I've been reading about the HD-800 since they first came out, and have always heard they are very "picky"...about what they pair with. I've always been told that the HD-800 are really amazing when they are paired right. I don't have enough comparisons, to make any claim with the Mojo. But I can at least tell that, going from my old set up to the Mojo, I think I can understand the pairing thing now. As I really feel the Mojo and the HD-800's sound work together, and it really brings out all the things I love about the HD-800 (whereas i feel my old set up, was kind of at odds with it, working against the things the HD-800 does well).

I can say from a casual audiophiles perspective, this thing is really something special. It was really easy to set up, and requires a lot less knowledge then other set ups. Considering you are getting both a DAC + Amp all in one package, and it's basically plug and play (and doesn't require a lot of knowledge to get a better sound of it)...$600 is actually an incredible deal. And again, speaking as a casual, this actually means a whole lot to me. I've been collecting headphone's for over 10 years, but have always felt like an outsider. Because my lack of knowledge, and my untrained ears, I've always had a hard time getting into higher tier headphones. I always felt a barrier, because the higher you go up, the more you really need to have more knowledge (especially with regards to Amp/DAC's). And I feel in a way, the Mojo kind of breaks down that barrier. 

I'm just someone that appreciates high quality audio files, as well as different sound signatures that each brand/headphone can provide you. I actually love having "control" over my audio, and apart of that control, is being able to try different sound signatures, and finding the one you enjoy the most. SO I might not understand all the technical, or have the best/trained hearing, but I passionately love music, and love headphones. 

I said this earlier, but it's been my dream forever to own the HD-800. Not just something I really wanted, but an actual dream. Something I didn't think I would ever be able to get. I've been thinking about them since they first came out. But I always assumed that I would never have enough money at one time, to be able to get them. And even if I did end up getting them, I would have the barrier of the Amp/DAC issue, that would keep me from truly enjoying them. So when I finally was able to get the HD-800 a month ago, I actually cried. Because it meant so much to me. But I'll admit, I also had nagging feelings, because I wasn't entirely happy with my set up. And I kind of just accepted that this was the barrier I was coming up against. And I would just have to accept it.

But getting the Mojo, makes me feel like that barrier is down. And yeah, I cried again today. But I also had the biggest smile on my face as well!

Thanks for listening to my rant, sorry if it was just a bunch of words, and wasn't very insightful. Thank you so much to everyone that helped me with this. I'm really happy with this, and it really surpassed anything I expected. I feel like I'm actually doing my HD-800's justice now, and getting use of their great qualities. I know there will always be something out there that can get even more out of the HD-800. But as someone that doesn't have a lot of money, this is a really great thing. 

- Ellie

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #10,580 of 42,765
My AK100mk2 defaults to max volume when hooked up to the mojo.   Irritating if I don't remember to lower it when I use it solo :frowning2:

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #10,581 of 42,765
What's the current thinking on sysconcepts/mojo/AK100 stacking?

Do you go balls up with a diagonal cable, or do you hide your balls with a short vertical cable, with the mojo under the AK?
I've gone for the second but I'm curious about reasons for the alternate stack?

Besides having a shorter cable, the key reason for me to chose the second option, is that you can put your stack on your table resting on the Mojos little feet.

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #10,582 of 42,765
Feb 3, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #10,584 of 42,765
Besides having a shorter cable, the key reason for me to chose the second option, is that you can put your stack on your table resting on the Mojos little feet.

Plus the cable doesn't interfere with the charging port this way. :D

This thread needs a few more pics....

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #10,585 of 42,765
Feb 3, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #10,586 of 42,765
Hi Guys, just to check you. Recently, I encounter hissing more on the right side of my iem when start the mojo. Then I press the volume button either '+' or '-' or both for a few times before the hissing will go. But sometimes the hiss will come back after i adjust the volume so again i try the method to press the volume till the hiss gone. It is still under warranty so i wonder if I should send my mojo for service.

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #10,587 of 42,765
Plus the cable doesn't interfere with the charging port this way.
biggrin.gif

True dat

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #10,588 of 42,765
First paragraph (can't highlight because I'm on tablet). The Hugo atleast do hold its own against 40,000.00 systems to my ears. Hugo + Evolution Acoustics MicroOnes, Kimbre interconnects and Audioquest speaker cable setup held its own at audio shows I've been to. The 40,000.00 systems sounded different - can't say better but different,and the Hugo system also had its strong sound characters that held own against much higher costing audio setups.

Yeah I mean I know the What Hi-Fi review of the Hugo says it can stand in for a £5,000 digital pre-amp. That would probably mean a £25,000 system. Saying the Mojo will best a £25,000 DAC means the Mojo is five times better valued than the Hugo. (Whatever though, What Hi-Fi are not the last word on this.)

I can't evaluate the Mojo as fairly as others though because my headphones and active speakers are not top notch. I can hear where the Mojo wants to go, and I can hear the Mojo making my actives sound limited. Or showing me what I should have.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #10,589 of 42,765
hey guys, i have not been active in this thread and I did my best to search this matter but I could not find anything. Do we have any further updates regarding the promise chord mojo accessories?

Regards

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #10,590 of 42,765
hey guys, i have not been active in this thread and I did my best to search this matter but I could not find anything. Do we have any further updates regarding the promise chord mojo accessories?

Regards

A number of accessories are mentioned in an interview with John Franks here; http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/10485#post_12305181

Users who are viewing this thread

Back