Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 3, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #10,606 of 42,765
WARNING OFF TOPIC THREAD HIJACK please ignore if uninterested:

I deal with mastering and mix engineers everyday. It's true that modern music is definitely more compressed, but you cannot compare compression, especially when its part of the mixing process and production itself, with sound quality. An over compressed master will indeed change the quality of the mix, but in many cases, mixes coming into mastering these days are already heavily compressed. This gives the engineers and production crew more of an artistic choice as to how the music hits and is presented.

Now for that bit on vinyl below: (a summary) : vinyl needs to be taken down in overall VU and treble energy needs to be brought down, mostly so the record can play stably. This actually results in less compression on the master, and a sound that comes closer to the original MIX. However, it is wrong to say that vinyl ACTUALLY has more dynamic range. They are just mastered that way since they need it to play with most modern styli. CD and Digital in general can get away with a lot more compression. This is why the numbers on those measurement sites look the way they do.

The 'guy behind the counter' is a nut bar and doesn't know s***. Vinyl is almost always better for dynamic range. I agree, a lot of modern mixes are terrible and it's getting worse. Adele, Bowie, many remasters, it's sad.

So if your thinking sound quality is opposite of compression - you'll think the new Bowie sounds bad. Because it is very compressed. But I actually think it sounds Amazing. It's very modern, but has great vibrancy and impact - which is what any good mix needs for starters. It's not meant to sound live, its meant to be an artistic statement in the studio.

I submit the following: (not my words) - but from below, it's not a simple straight ahead story when it comes to vinyl being better.
================
Myth: Vinyl requires a better-sounding master because it is physically incapable of reproducing the hypercompressed sound mastered to CD

Different masters can substantially improve or reduce sound quality. Some have less background noise. Some alter the dynamic range. There are other mastering techniques that can also affect the sound.

There are documented instances of different masters being used on vinyl releases compared to CD releases. A bass note which is panned hard to the left or right will cause the needle on an LP record to jump out of the groove, an early example of this is the song Crazy by Seal which had to be remastered for vinyl with the bass repositioned in the centre stage. Another notable example is The White Stripes' Icky Thump. However, there are also instances of the same masters being used on vinyl releases compared to CD releases. In fact, if you purchase an album produced in the last two decades on vinyl, it is likely that the master will be no different than the one used on CD. Alternative masters for vinyl cost money, and mastering is a significant cost of producing a record. The reason for different masters is that producers possibly view digital media (like CD) and analog media (like Vinyl) to be different in nature, so they might produce a different master for each medium. Some even believe that Vinyl will automatically yield a superior sound, despite the well known technical limitations and disadvantages compared to the CD.
The technical details behind this myth are as follows. The cutting heads used for creating the vinyl lacquer (or metal mother) are speaker-like electromechanical devices driven by an extremely powerful amplifier (several hundred watts). At extremely large/fast cutting head excursions, the cutting head coils may physically burn up, much like how a speaker's voice coils may be destroyed by an excessive current. Also, the diamond cutting head stylus may prematurely wear or break. This places important constraints on the maximum levels that can be recorded to a record.

A very high power output is required to cut grooves with a high acceleration. Acceleration at the same signal amplitude is higher for higher-frequency signals. Heavily clipped and limited CDs in the modern mastering style have more high-frequency content than earlier masters. In general, increasing the perceived volume of a record - whether by increasing the recording level or by limiting/clipping/compression - raises the cutting head average power.

Additionally, during playback, the turntable's stylus has limits on what grooves it can successfully track. Cartridges can only track grooves of a finite modulation width (measured in microns) that decreases in frequency. For instance, a cartridge may only be able to track a 300 µm-wide groove at 300 Hz, and yet only 50 µm at 20 kHz. This also places limits on the acceleration and velocity limits the record master can take.

The most obvious way to work around these issues is simply to reduce the recording level of the vinyl master. That's exactly what vinyl mastering houses do, using multiband limiters that dynamically reduce the treble content of the master, to limit the cutting head power usage.

Effect of vinyl mastering on dynamic range
===================================

A related myth is that when vinyl has a higher dynamic range than CD, it means the audio was sourced from a different, more dynamic master, and that the difference in dynamics will be audible.

It is true that recordings on vinyl sometimes have a spikier waveform and a measurably higher dynamic range than their counterparts on CD, at least when the dynamic range is reported by crude "DR meter" tools that compare peak and RMS levels. The higher "DR value" could indeed be a result of entirely different master recordings being provided to the mastering engineers for each format, or different choices made by the engineers, as happens every time old music is remastered for a new release.
But even when the same source master is used, the audio is normally further processed when mastering for the target format (be it CD or vinyl), and this often results in vinyl having a spikier waveform and higher DR measurement. There are two types of processing during vinyl mastering that can increase the DR measurements and waveform spikiness, thus reducing the RMS and increasing the basic DR measurement by perhaps several dB:

The audio is subjected to low-pass or all-pass filtering, which can result in broad peaks becoming slanted ramps.
The amount and stereo separation of deep bass content is reduced for vinyl, to keep the stylus from being thrown out of the groove.
It is quite possible that these changes are entirely inaudible, despite their effect on the waveform shape and DR measurement.
The dynamic range of the waveform is also affected by the vinyl playback system; different systems provide different frequency responses. Factors include cartridge, tonearm, preamp, and even the connecting cables. A vinyl rip with weak bass may well have a higher reported DR value than a rip of the same vinyl on equipment with a stronger bass response.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #10,607 of 42,765
  As I own mojo and Sig DJ, I can tell you its a very good combo, btw I love Sig DJ so much lol

I was aware that you had them from your posts in the SigDJ thread.  Good to know it is a combination that works well, unlike your experience with the LCD-XC, but at least you have a few other wonderful headphones you can team up with the Mojo.

Mojo is now unpacked and charging, ready for use tomorrow which is when the Sig DJs should arrive,  And thankfully no buzzing noises, it's totally silent as it charges from my iPhone charger.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #10,608 of 42,765
  I am now in the predicament of whether I should by the QED Micro USB cable for the Mojo. I am not sure about the digital cable thing because getting a good cable for Meridian Explorer did not work. I think we need a separate voting thread to pole of people who bought an audiophile USB cable. I remember @imattersuk telling us it works conclusively. Plus What Hi-Fi love those cables. Didn't work for me before though. Plus Chord told us the Mojo re-clocks the data, making it jitter free.

I am confused.
confused_face.gif

Cables are dangerous territory on head-fi. :)
I can only share my own experience.
Couple of years ago I was experimenting with different cables for an IE80. There might have been some slight improvement in clarity and brightness with a silver cable, but I sold all of them as eventually I found the difference not justifying the price.
But recently with Mojo I wanted to experiment with USB cables again, as the bug bit me. Not many people are willing to pay £30-150 for USB cables, so we don't know much about them. People rather invest this money in other upgrades. So, cut the long story short I bought an AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable recently. I found only a couple of reviews online.
In my opinion 3 things are important to be aware before a cable purchase: your equipment must be relatively good enough to hear any difference. Your ears must be educated at least on 'intermediate' level to appreciate any differences. Your budget must be relatively flexible. It is pointless to buy £50 USB cable for a £100 DAC. But for Mojo in my opinion it might worth it.
I did quite a lot of A B switch listenings with the same song with regular £1.50 USB cable and the Cinnamon (£50). I also did 2-3 hrs listening on one and then changing to the other. (Using Fidelio X2 and Foobar with ASIO). I think, with an under £80-100 headphones probably you can't hear much of a difference. With my mentioned setup I did find obvious difference. How big the difference is? Well, it is very relative. Comes down to my above mentioned 3 points.
 I was happy with the regular usb cable. But I am even happier with the cinnamon. The most obvious difference is the clarity. Like some little fog in the sound disappeared. Also more micro detail comes through. Like toe tapping in the background. Which is almost inaudible with the regular usb cable. I also hear the mids more forward and the treble and bass tiny bit less emphasized. The difference is not earth and sky, but it is definitely there. Only you can decide if it is worth the money for you. To me cinnamon is a keeper. But YMMV.

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #10,609 of 42,765
. A bass note which is panned hard to the left or right will cause the needle on an LP record to jump out of the groove, an early example of this is the song Crazy by Seal which had to be remastered for vinyl with the bass repositioned in the centre stage.

Those listening on a speaker based system would have been none the wiser as they would not be able to position the bass. Some listening on headphones would have been annoyed with unnatural positioning and others who use crossfeed would also be none the wiser. Hugo red rules...

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #10,612 of 42,765
WARNING OFF TOPIC THREAD HIJACK please ignore if uninterested:

Now for that bit on vinyl

One of the best explanations I've yet read on vinyl v CD, a huge hornets nest on headfi , thanks for giving it a good shake. It will certainly make people think , and could do with being set up as a new thread entirely 

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #10,614 of 42,765
  One of the best explanations I've yet read on vinyl v CD, a huge hornets nest on headfi , thanks for giving it a good shake. It will certainly make people think , and could do with being set up as a new thread entirely 

What if we really had headaches and it was not noticeable until we thought about it? Are they really non existent and just become present or does it take acknowledge for them to become present ?  that will make you think ◕‿◕

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #10,615 of 42,765
This is addressed to all who are on the fence about purchasing the Mojo.  Many of you have read the reviews, all are either glowing or, at the very least, very good.  All state how the cost is either very reasonable or considered to be low. My opinion about the cost is: it is not low.  $600 is a lot of money for the average person.  However, our hobby or audio needs are expensive.  You can accept ok, or you can get whatever will make you happy, or you can get what will transform how you listen to music.  Each step will cost more.  It is like death and taxes, guaranteed.  

I am 60 plus with average ears for my age and mild tinnitis.  I have good equipment, headphones, amps, and dacs at home.  I purchased the Mojo after reading over 600 of these articles.  I hoped I would hear the difference with my Sansung Note 3 cell phone.  I hoped the Mojo would come close to my best home audio systems.  If it did I would be happy and enjoy and be satisfied.

Well, folks, if you have not purchased the Mojo, get off your ass and buy it.  It is unbelievably good.  It is not a little better than what I had before, it is a quantum leap, you have got to be shi..... me, better.  I have only been listening on my portable unit with ciems.  I will, eventually, compare it to my home units.  Based on my memory of how my favorite songs sound at home, I am afraid it will cause me to sell a lot of equipment.  I plan on only using the Mojo as a portable device, but I will have to upgrade to match it's quality.

Folks, ignore the cost, buy it.  Take out a signature loan if you have to.  Do not wait any longer.  If you enjoy music now, you will be elevated to a new plateau in all audio aspects with the Mojo. No matter how old you are or how bad your ears are, you will hear the quality and musical ecstasy you have never experienced before.  Like death and taxes, guaranteed.

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #10,617 of 42,765
just received yesterday, 2 cables, both tested paired with mojo with onkyo dp-x1 and lg v10 - working 

14 days from china to moscow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291627246005?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

7 sm is perfect for LG V10 or any phone with central plug point

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291627246005?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

10 sm is for onkyo 0 because micro usb jack is on side

hope this info will helps.

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #10,618 of 42,765
  This is addressed to all who are on the fence about purchasing the Mojo.  Many of you have read the reviews, all are either glowing or, at the very least, very good.  All state how the cost is either very reasonable or considered to be low. My opinion about the cost is: it is not low.  $600 is a lot of money for the average person.  However, our hobby or audio needs are expensive.  You can accept ok, or you can get whatever will make you happy, or you can get what will transform how you listen to music.  Each step will cost more.  It is like death and taxes, guaranteed.  

I am 60 plus with average ears for my age and mild tinnitis.  I have good equipment, headphones, amps, and dacs at home.  I purchased the Mojo after reading over 600 of these articles.  I hoped I would hear the difference with my Sansung Note 3 cell phone.  I hoped the Mojo would come close to my best home audio systems.  If it did I would be happy and enjoy and be satisfied.

Well, folks, if you have not purchased the Mojo, get off your ass and buy it.  It is unbelievably good.  It is not a little better than what I had before, it is a quantum leap, you have got to be shi..... me, better.  I have only been listening on my portable unit with ciems.  I will, eventually, compare it to my home units.  Based on my memory of how my favorite songs sound at home, I am afraid it will cause me to sell a lot of equipment.  I plan on only using the Mojo as a portable device, but I will have to upgrade to match it's quality.

Folks, ignore the cost, buy it.  Take out a signature loan if you have to.  Do not wait any longer.  If you enjoy music now, you will be elevated to a new plateau in all audio aspects with the Mojo. No matter how old you are or how bad your ears are, you will hear the quality and musical ecstasy you have never experienced before.  Like death and taxes, guaranteed.

Well put mate. 100% agreed with your enthusiasm.

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #10,619 of 42,765
Well put, I could not agree more.

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #10,620 of 42,765
 I will, eventually, compare it to my home units.  Based on my memory of how my favorite songs sound at home, I am afraid it will cause me to sell a lot of equipment.  

It's running through the First Watt F6 clone built for me by @dill3000 which is huge ; an utter monster and $3K worth of American Muscle . Through my HifIMan HE-6s fed into the speaker taps this is end game for me .
I sold a lot of stuff too. My Fidelity Audio HPA200SE head amp is still at home gathering dust. The rest is gone.
Do the HD800 owners know you can get a 3.5 terminated lead for the Mojo on ebay for next to nothing?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDIO123-5N-OCC-Silver-Upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD-800-/161686500498?hash=item25a5443492:g:laYAAOSw34FVCuqW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back