Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 10, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #8,956 of 42,765
Jan 10, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #8,957 of 42,765
Mojo is a legendary product but it still needs a iem to be a epic package.
Mojo dun work on its own without any IEMs.

It also won't work without a source, so DAPs, phones and computers are fair game too...as well as full size headphones and powered speakers.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #8,958 of 42,765
Out of curiosity, has anyone needed to send their Mojo for repair?

I have asked for RMA due to the sudden low volume issue and my unit will ship next week back to Chord... gonna miss it!

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #8,960 of 42,765
  No issues for me so far.  Haven't heard of that one.  From Paris it should be a quick turnaround?

Nobody has heard that one apparently, it's like the amp has died and 440mW sound like 20mw at full power :frowning2:
Yep it will take more time for RMA and paperwork than the gear to travel back and forth and them to repair (I hope).

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #8,961 of 42,765
  Stereophile rave review of Mojo

The latest (February, 2016) issue, received a few days ago, has a rave review of the Mojo by John Atkinson, editor. The review is not yet available online but should appear on the Stereophile.com site sometime this month. It’s also not yet been posted in this thread.

John mentioned that he first saw the Mojo at its N. American introduction held at Stereo Exchange in Manhattan (on 10/15/15). So he didn’t waste any time in reviewing it since, to be available for publishing, the review had to be completed some two months in advance. I saw him at the Stereo Exchange event in the Chord/Audeze section, along with one or two other Stereophile writers and some jazz magazine writers. (Yes, there are advantages to living in the big city.)

I’ll leave the specifics of the review for members to see when it finally appears online (or when you get a copy of Stereophile.)  But here are a few highlights:
-“With its matte-black finish of anodized aluminum and its three illuminated matte-surfaced glass balls, set in machined recesses…it is drop dead gorgeous.”

-“But beauty is not just skin-deep. Inside the Mojo’s elegant exterior beats a heart of modern silicon.”

-“Chord’s Mojo combined authoritative, well-defined low frequencies with smooth, detailed highs and excellent soundstaging.”

-He used several headphones including the HD600, LCD-X, Audioquest NightHawk and UE 18 Pro. He compared the Mojo with the Apogee Groove and Aurender Flow ($1,300), both highly rated, and felt the Mojo bested them both.

-Measurements conclusion:  Overall, the Chord Mojo offers measured performance that is superb for a portable device, and would not be out of place in a high-priced conventional D/A processor.  (Underlines mine. To Stereophile, could “high priced” reasonably be considered to be $5,000+, or even much higher, say $15,000.  How bout $30,000?  Or approaching dCS at $$60,000+?)

-Overall conclusion:  “Yes, Chord’s Mojo is beautifully styled. But it also produced beautiful sound quality… All I can say is “Wow!

Yes, Wow!

I think this is an important post. It's because many people keep saying how the Mojo sound-stage is smaller than the Hugo. This is the first post I remember seeing that says the sound-stage is excellent. I know Hawaiibadboy mentioned the sound stage is narrower than generally or something like that, in his video review. It was all a bit unnerving. (No disrespect to anyone's opinions of course - just saying what I noticed through the thread.)

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #8,962 of 42,765
  Out of curiosity, has anyone needed to send their Mojo for repair?

I have asked for RMA due to the sudden low volume issue and my unit will ship next week back to Chord... gonna miss it!

Unfortunately, mine has been RMAed since December, 4th due to loud hiss.
I had to bring it back to where I purchased it.
Hopefully, it will not be to long before coming I get it back. I have been in touch with the guys at CHORD, I will know more by the end of next week, because they are at the CES.

Meanwhile, I had to use my OPPO HA-2, but I don't like it anymore. It is not a good match with all my AKG's headphones. Mojo drives them with much more authority.

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #8,963 of 42,765
My wish came true.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/graham-nash-tries-out-audeze-el-8-headphones-and-chord-mojo#Q3DJB7Zz2zi20dCD.97

"Neil Young's 'A Man Needs a Maid' from the Harvest album" mentioned in that link - a perfect example of a very slight white noise 'build into' the recording.

I've been called a troll here for saying that a good DACs and any DAC more expensive then ODAC should be audibly silent. Why? because my ODAC is silent and I had to return another expensive DAC that wasn't.
I'm totally fine when a recording has that background hiss, but not a DAC. Sometimes it adds a character to it, I mean to a recording.

After reading about it for about a month and having a badge of troll, I finally decided to take a plunge and order it. Honestly, I wished all Rob Watts said about it to be true. 

I received my Mojo a week ago and with very heavy heart plugged it in......... and push the play button... - it was dead silent! Just as I'd would expect!!! no matter how few others would try to convince me that it was ok if it hissed.

I've been enjoying it since every day. Is it 5 times better than ODAC? Audibly it is subjective, I think it is better, may be not 5 times, but better. It is definitely better in measurements.
It makes me listen to things I usually do not listen very often - like classical piano or certain type of jazz. I hooked it up to my main system, that to my ears sounds fantastic, and good recordings started sounding as something I have never heard before, so may be it is 5 times better!

It is a very special little box :D 

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #8,965 of 42,765
Yupe, dead silent as much as a vacuum space
biggrin.gif
. One main thing I have to tip my hat off toward Mojo. I wish Chord would come out with a portable DAP
biggrin.gif

The one thing a Chord DAP would not require is a digital out...
...unless you wanted to use it as transport for Dave.

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #8,966 of 42,765

Quote:
  Stereophile rave review of Mojo

The latest (February, 2016) issue, received a few days ago, has a rave review of the Mojo by John Atkinson, editor. The review is not yet available online but should appear on the Stereophile.com site sometime this month. It’s also not yet been posted in this thread.

John mentioned that he first saw the Mojo at its N. American introduction held at Stereo Exchange in Manhattan (on 10/15/15). So he didn’t waste any time in reviewing it since, to be available for publishing, the review had to be completed some two months in advance. I saw him at the Stereo Exchange event in the Chord/Audeze section, along with one or two other Stereophile writers and some jazz magazine writers. (Yes, there are advantages to living in the big city.)

I’ll leave the specifics of the review for members to see when it finally appears online (or when you get a copy of Stereophile.)  But here are a few highlights:
-“With its matte-black finish of anodized aluminum and its three illuminated matte-surfaced glass balls, set in machined recesses…it is drop dead gorgeous.”

-“But beauty is not just skin-deep. Inside the Mojo’s elegant exterior beats a heart of modern silicon.”

-“Chord’s Mojo combined authoritative, well-defined low frequencies with smooth, detailed highs and excellent soundstaging.”

-He used several headphones including the HD600, LCD-X, Audioquest NightHawk and UE 18 Pro. He compared the Mojo with the Apogee Groove and Aurender Flow ($1,300), both highly rated, and felt the Mojo bested them both.

-Measurements conclusion:  Overall, the Chord Mojo offers measured performance that is superb for a portable device, and would not be out of place in a high-priced conventional D/A processor.  (Underlines mine. To Stereophile, could “high priced” reasonably be considered to be $5,000+, or even much higher, say $15,000.  How bout $30,000?  Or approaching dCS at $$60,000+?)

-Overall conclusion:  “Yes, Chord’s Mojo is beautifully styled. But it also produced beautiful sound quality… All I can say is “Wow!

Yes, Wow!

I think this is an important post. It's because many people keep saying how the Mojo sound-stage is smaller than the Hugo. This is the first post I remember seeing that says the sound-stage is excellent. I know Hawaiibadboy mentioned the sound stage is narrower than generally or something like that, in his video review. It was all a bit unnerving. (No disrespect to anyone's opinions of course - just saying what I noticed through the thread.)

I've re-linked this once or twice, in the thread - Rob's perspective on perceived width of soundstage:

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/6390#post_12141342

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #8,968 of 42,765

I've re-linked this once or twice, in the thread - Rob's perspective on perceived width of soundstage:

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/6390#post_12141342

Yeah I read that ages ago. However I am not entirely convinced. However that doesn't mean I contradict what Rob Watts says, it just means I am not sure.

Deep soundstages are not something exclusive to Chord. Wide soundstages don't have to mean not a deep soundstage.

I have had a soundstage fill a room. It lost no width when I added the components that brought the soundstage forward. That was ages ago. However I did it again recently when I added a proper cable between DAC and active speakers. The soundstage came forward. It didn't lose any width. It's not perceived as narrower. It does however mean each instrument has a more clearly defined space.

Neither was I disputing anything others had said in the thread including Rob, when I posted above. I was saying I was relieved to hear the Mojo has an excellent soundstage. Since others seemed to imply it's fractionally on the smaller side.

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #8,969 of 42,765
Nobody has heard that one apparently, it's like the amp has died and 440mW sound like 20mw at full power :frowning2:
Yep it will take more time for RMA and paperwork than the gear to travel back and forth and them to repair (I hope).

We'll for what it's worth, my Mojo will not sync with any device now (ipad, ipad mini, note 4, opo). I've tried genuine cck for ipad and various USB cables as well as otg cable for phones. Has anyone else had this problem? It worked in the beginning and I was floored by its Sq but I usually had to try several times to finally get it to handshake......now there is no ability to get it to work no matter how many times I do it (with the proper order of connections btw). I'm hoping Moon Audio will be kind enough to exchange it.

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #8,970 of 42,765

Yeah I read that ages ago. However I am not entirely convinced. However that doesn't mean I contradict what Rob Watts says, it just means I am not sure.

Deep soundstages are not something exclusive to Chord. Wide soundstages don't have to mean not a deep soundstage.

I have had a soundstage fill a room. It lost no width when I added the components that brought the soundstage forward. That was ages ago. However I did it again recently when I added a proper cable between DAC and active speakers. The soundstage came forward. It didn't lose any width. It's not perceived as narrower. It does however mean each instrument has a more clearly defined space.

Neither was I disputing anything others had said in the thread including Rob, when I posted above. I was saying I was relieved to hear the Mojo has an excellent soundstage. Since others seemed to imply it's fractionally on the smaller side.

Yeah, fair enough
beerchug.gif

Levels of crosstalk can also influence perceived soundstage width, and I wonder if some DAC-Amps have higher levels of crosstalk (either intentionally or unintentionally) than the Mojo, particularly in the amp stage, and particularly considering how minimalist the output section of Mojo is, in comparison to other DAC-Amps.

No doubt many other possible influential factors, on perceived soundstage width, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back