Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 25, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #7,606 of 42,765
So the consensus is brown is actually a red/pink?

No, not specifically.

But if you read the posts I linked, you will see that there will be legitimate subtle variations in colour between units, since the colour is not controlled with unnecessarily extreme accuracy, as would be the case in a monitor or TV screen.

The colours are just a pleasant & convenient indicator, not something to obsess about in their own right. Mojo is about sound more than visuals.
beerchug.gif

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #7,607 of 42,765
Appreciate it.

Out of curiosity - is yours reddish or brown?

No, not specifically.

But if you read the posts I linked, you will see that there will be legitimate subtle variations in colour between units, since the colour is not controlled with unnecessarily extreme accuracy, as would be the case in a monitor or TV screen.

The colours are just a pleasant & convenient indicator, not something to obsess about in their own right. Mojo is about sound more than visuals. :beerchug:

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #7,608 of 42,765
Mines Brown

With a reddish tinge  :) 

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #7,609 of 42,765
I have seen several people amping on top of the Mojo. Does it bring anything with iems?

God knows with IEMs, the Mojo has far and away enough power to drive them until a listener is rendered deaf. I have tried a number of portable amps including the Ray Samuels (Intruder and Lightning with balanced output) and have always come away feeling the amp added nothing and took away some of the clarity and musicality.

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #7,611 of 42,765
I have seen several people amping on top of the Mojo. Does it bring anything with iems?

IMO it can, but depends on the gear and your personal taste. For example I love the Mojo with my K10's and it's the best portable I've yet heard (when paired with the AK100), but when I'm at my desktop I plug the Mojo into either my ALO CDM or Cavalli Liquid Carbon. The K10's (and my LCD-3's) sound incrementally better when amped past the Mojo, and I go with the LC if I want the most resolving and the CDM if I want the most "fun" (using the rare but awesome Mullard tubes). Does the Mojo need external amping? No, but some will like it better. Whether it's worth the additional cost is up to you. Cheers

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #7,612 of 42,765
God knows with IEMs, the Mojo has far and away enough power to drive them until a listener is rendered deaf. I have tried a number of portable amps including the Ray Samuels (Intruder and Lightning with balanced output) and have always come away feeling the amp added nothing and took away some of the clarity and musicality.
Thanks a lot, that's part of the answer for me.

IMO it can, but depends on the gear and your personal taste. For example I love the Mojo with my K10's and it's the best portable I've yet heard (when paired with the AK100), but when I'm at my desktop I plug the Mojo into either my ALO CDM or Cavalli Liquid Carbon. The K10's (and my LCD-3's) sound incrementally better when amped past the Mojo, and I go with the LC if I want the most resolving and the CDM if I want the most "fun" (using the rare but awesome Mullard tubes). Does the Mojo need external amping? No, but some will like it better. Whether it's worth the additional cost is up to you. Cheers
So it will only improve with large transportable amps. Thanks.

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #7,614 of 42,765

So in effect you are really using the amp to color the music to taste.  Mojo has enough power but an amp can change the character of the output.  Makes sense.  Strange though that some audiophiles want only discreet components and take a minimalist approach to extra circuits wanting to pass the signal through the minimum number of gain stages while we over hear at Head-Fi use chains of amps to get the sound we like.   To each their own I suppose...

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #7,615 of 42,765
So in effect you are really using the amp to color the music to taste.  Mojo has enough power but an amp can change the character of the output.  Makes sense.  Strange though that some audiophiles want only discreet components and take a minimalist approach to extra circuits wanting to pass the signal through the minimum number of gain stages while we over hear at Head-Fi use chains of amps to get the sound we like.   To each their own I suppose...

I'd say the LC doesn't color, it's more a "wire with gain" amp at least IMO (and many others). The CDM with the tubes does add its own signature, which is not a bad thing. Try it and see if you like it. Don't judge others' tastes please. Cheers

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #7,616 of 42,765
I've got an LC so I know what it doesn't sound like if that makes sense.  Mine was an observation about how the amps were being used to
change the flavor according to taste not a criticism.  Read it again.  One shouldn't be so sensitive -- especially on Christmas.  Peace to all.

Between Mojo and the LC-Gumby combination I am spoiled.  That said the power has been out for 24hrs so the LC and Gumby are getting cold. Listening to the iPhone->Mojo->HiFiman Edition-X set-up (with no amps) should pull me through until the power comes back on.  This is just an amazing set-up.

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #7,617 of 42,765
Sensitive means that a lot of power isn't required to drive them. I have been listening with my (modded and re-cabled) HD800s quite happily out of the Mojo. 

Do you feel unsatisfied when listening for some reason?

I'm absolutely satisfied with the sound mojo makes paird up with HD800 but still wanting to pull the full potential that both mojo and HD800 have. As a DAC itself I think mojo is goind amazing job.
And I'm so grateful for all your help and recommendation. Think this forum is so meaningful for every single music lovers who endeavor to find their love in music even farther!

Until we all go to the farthest, cheers! :)

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #7,618 of 42,765
Did you check if your comparison is level-matched? I mean not by ear but by measuring voltage at the output and make it close as possible before comparing.

Those "more-detailed", spacious difference is usually a product of one amp slightly louder than the other.

It would be good if I level matched, but I didn't. I pushed both up to a limit I prefer listening to (can be off, give or take). It's kind of like comparing the ha 2 and mojo, I sensed mojo was much better, eventhough I didn't matched it perfectly.

Just curious, do people volumn match when they go to a store and compare products?

Dec 25, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #7,620 of 42,765

I wouldn't say so in all cases. I'm happy to listen with HD800s and the Ethers direct out of the Mojo, which makes sense as they are both reasonably sensitive. However the HE1000s are very audibly under-driven by the Mojo. Regardless, the hobby is about what makes you enjoy listening to music. There isn't a "wrong" here. Better I think would be to be happy that we have such fantastic-sound gear available to us that doesn't require the cost of a luxury car to be able to own. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back