Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 25, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #7,621 of 42,765
  Regardless, the hobby is about what makes you enjoy listening to music. There isn't a "wrong" here. Better I think would be to be happy that we have such fantastic-sound gear available to us that doesn't require the cost of a luxury car to be able to own. 
size]

Totally agree and I wouldn't have it otherwise.  I don't see the word wrong or even an implied criticism in what I posted.  I was simply reacting that amps can have two functions.  One is to add gain and the other is to change the flavor (or not).  I think it's great that quite a few head-fiers don't mind the extra equipment in the chain and aren't obsessed like some audiophile purists about everything must be minimal circuitry as if circuitry was bad.  That was who my comment was directed at, not people who use amps on DAC/AMPs like Mojo.  Me, I'll do anything that sounds good so I won't criticize anybody!

Dec 25, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #7,622 of 42,765
  .... I think it's great that quite a few head-fiers don't mind the extra equipment in the chain and aren't obsessed like some audiophile purists about everything must be minimal circuitry as if circuitry was bad.

Personally, I think electricity is bad for sound quality - I prefer my audio gear to be powered by Qi (Chi) !
tongue.gif

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #7,624 of 42,765
In my experience the further you add, the more you will resolution and details and the "live" sound. It's like a bad layer mask have been added to sound. In many cases, you might find more bass, better soundstage and imaging with added preamps to amps etc but the transparency to source will always be compromised. To each their own!

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #7,625 of 42,765
My Mojo is off !!!-- no pun intended (think Austin Powers). Really wanted to like this product. 

Got it from Moon audio. Set it up on my PC via the guide there. Had it charge 10 hours overnight before use.

Playing all formats including DSD with a hitch with Jriver

However, periodically, after two hours of continuous  it turns off by itself. When I turn it back on it will run for a while and then turn off again. 

Granted it is super-hot-- but this kills my Mojo !!

I was using it for gaming and music only, not to heat up my room !! 

Is this happening to you all?

should I get a refund or replacement? 

Does take the fun and mojo out of it for me at least. Constant reboots remind me of my windows PC.

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #7,626 of 42,765
My Mojo is off !!!-- no pun intended (think Austin Powers). Really wanted to like this product. 

Got it from Moon audio. Set it up on my PC via the guide there. Had it charge 10 hours overnight before use.

However, periodically, after two hours of continuous  it turns off by itself. When I turn it back on it will run for a while and then turn off again. 

Does take the fun and mojo out of it for me at least. Constant reboots remind me of my windows PC.

I haven't recieved mine yet but there should be an indicator when battery is fully charged. You should check to see if it's fully charged first. Try playing it with a charger on all times and see if it dosent turn off after 2 hours. If it still does yes I would return it and get a replacement.

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #7,627 of 42,765

OK....

Let's try a little troubleshooting:

1) What is the specification of the charger you are using (or are you charging from a computer USB2 port)?

2) Are you simultaneously charging the Mojo whilst you are using/listening to it?

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #7,628 of 42,765
I have no idea if this works or not but I always place Mojo upright on a narrow side rather than flat.  My theory is it will act more like a heatsink having more exposed area to permit blackbody radiation.  Maybe that's why Mojo is black.

I have never had Mojo shut down. Maybe I'm not driving it hard enough.

Dec 25, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #7,631 of 42,765

You didn't say whether you are keeping a charger plugged-in whilst connected to the computer...

Also, what headphones are you driving?

Hello,

yes, after running it two hours or so without an external charged I plugged it into a usb port on my PC for charging while using. Kept turning off however.

Headphones were HD650 -- does that affect the heating of the unit? 

Im going to give it the benefit of the doubt however and recharge overnight. Perhaps did not charge inititally correctly.

Its charging and playing now over the last two hours and there is a white light under the charge port. 

No mention in the manual what these colors mean except that white goes away when fully charged? but you can only see this light when unit is turned on??

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #7,632 of 42,765
I've got an LC so I know what it doesn't sound like if that makes sense.  Mine was an observation about how the amps were being used to

change the flavor according to taste not a criticism.  Read it again.  One shouldn't be so sensitive -- especially on Christmas.  Peace to all.

Between Mojo and the LC-Gumby combination I am spoiled.  That said the power has been out for 24hrs so the LC and Gumby are getting cold. Listening to the iPhone->Mojo->HiFiman Edition-X set-up (with no amps) should pull me through until the power comes back on.  This is just an amazing set-up.

No worries and I wasn't being sensitive to or directed towards any specific comment - it was just a general observation/plea as such topics can often start flame wars. Peace indeed and cheers

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #7,633 of 42,765

You didn't say whether you are keeping a charger plugged-in whilst connected to the computer...

Also, what headphones are you driving?

yes, after running it two hours or so without an external charged I plugged it into a usb port on my PC for charging while using. Kept turning off however.

HD650 won't be particularly current-hungry, so no concerns there.

A small percentage of people have reported some instances of thermal cutout when listening whilst charging, but I stress that they have been a very small minority. Nonetheless, for those to whom it is happening, I do appreciate that it is not an ideal situation.

Here is some discussion about thermal aspects of Mojo:

=784602&advanced=1]www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=thermal&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=Mojo+ideas&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread[0]=784602&advanced=1

Do you live in a warm country, or have central heating on full-blast? Since Mojo dissipates heat via its aluminium casework, a high ambient temperature would not be helpful.

I'm sure others will chime in, but in the meantime, you could try listening without simultaneously charging, given that Mojo will last several hours per charge, and that the battery will tolerate around a thousand or more charges (and is replaceable, by Chord, should that ever become necessary). Alternatively, placing Mojo on top of a heat-dissipative object might also be fruitful.

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #7,634 of 42,765
Hello,

Im going to give it the benefit of the doubt however and recharge overnight. Perhaps did not charge inititally correctly.

Its charging and playing now over the last two hours and there is a white light under the charge port. 

No mention in the manual what these colors mean except that white goes away when fully charged? but you can only see this light when unit is turned on??

White solid light means it is charging/taking power.

To me it sounds like your Mojo is tripping one of its thermal protection circuits, especially since you say it's super-hot.

Two questions: 1) Is the Mojo sitting on top of something that is also hot and/or where it doesn't get enough ventilation? 2) When you say super-hot, do you have any idea how hot? Can you touch it? If so for about how long before it becomes too much? (Just be careful not to burn yourself of course!)

Sounds like there's an issue with the Mojo but this info will help with making sure. Chord and its distribution partners have been very good in addressing issues if that is the case.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back