Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 21, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #7,261 of 42,765
  Tried to make a coax cable to connect to my X3 II and failed miserably so far. Bloody difficult to solder ring 3 and the shield on hose tiny 3.5mm plugs... So I ordered a 10cm cable on custom cable's website in UK for about 32 squids delivered to Oz. That's about half price of what Moon is offering. What really pissed me off is that Moon is charging US $27 postage for a $85 4" coax cable. At that price, postage should be free as it costs only a few bucks, anyway. My only problem is that Custom Cables are closed for the holidays so my cable won't arrive before January 10 or so.

Additionally... 

Dergabe made the cable without testing, as he didn't have the X3ii to test it. There were a few "tweaks" i needed to do before it worked, rogue filaments etc. But once I had cleaned it all up, it worked fine. I shortened the cable a little myself, easy enough, with care. 

My received cable shown here and my shortened "sugru"ed mod below. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #7,262 of 42,765
Hi All

Hopefully this is a simple question. I have an FiiO X5 2nd Gen that can output a digital signal through the 3.5mm analogue output if altered in the menu system. Can I just connect the Mojo using the same 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable I am currently using to connect to my FiiO E12A?

Also, is it a simple matter of installing some drivers to use the Mojo as a DAC using the output of a laptop?

Regards

Darren

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #7,263 of 42,765
Hi All

Hopefully this is a simple question. I have an FiiO X5 2nd Gen that can output a digital signal through the 3.5mm analogue output if altered in the menu system. Can I just connect the Mojo using the same 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable I am currently using to connect to my FiiO E12A?

Also, is it a simple matter of installing some drivers to use the Mojo as a DAC using the output of a laptop?

Regards

Darren

No. It's a digital coaxial output you want to set in the X5ii System Settings, and the second generation FiiO devices (and the X7) require a special cable to be made/purchased in order to work. This is discussed in the posts just above yours and in the Mojo FAQ:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/chord-mojo-faq

You can also go to the third post in this thread (as the title says) for links to various posts about how to connect the coaxial input of Mojo:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-third-post-for-updated-info#post_11992416

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #7,264 of 42,765
If anyone is considering one, can confirm my Huawei Mate 8 working great with the Mojo. With a 128gb option + MicroSD expansion to 200gb (currently) it's not a bad phone transport option. I have the 64gb one, but fortunately all my music fits on a solitary 200gb card so I'm good.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #7,266 of 42,765
Dec 21, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #7,267 of 42,765
For coaxial output from the FiiO X3ii, X5ii, and X7 you need a cable that looks like this one from Moon Audio. The 3.5mm TS plug on the left of the cable in the image goes in to the Mojo coaxial input and the 3.5mm TRRS plug on the right goes in to the X3ii, X5ii, X7 coaxial output. Please observe the differences in the black rings on each plug.

http://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-mini-coax-digital-cable-hifiman-player.html

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #7,269 of 42,765

Get this and add a female RCA to mono 3.5 adapter, or get that adapter plus a RCA adapter with male jacks at each end and add to the coaxial that comes with the X3ii and X5ii.
Or there's a headfier here @derGabe who can make it for you

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #7,271 of 42,765
I connect to the FIIO X3 II with the Fiio adapter plus male/male RCA joiner followed by a female RCA to male TS into the Mojo. Looks like ass but does the job. If only the stupid Fiio adapter was an inch or two longer...

To connect to my LG G4 I use a right angle micro USB to female USB A OTG cable (very short) followed by a JitterBug and the Mojo supplied USB cable. All I need to do is to replace the Mojo USB cable with a right angle connector to avoid blocking access to the rear phone buttons. The Bug cleans up the line nicely so much so that I heard no interference with it plugged in.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #7,272 of 42,765
  Tried to make a coax cable to connect to my X3 II and failed miserably so far. Bloody difficult to solder ring 3 and the shield on hose tiny 3.5mm plugs... So I ordered a 10cm cable on custom cable's website in UK for about 32 squids delivered to Oz. That's about half price of what Moon is offering. What really pissed me off is that Moon is charging US $27 postage for a $85 4" coax cable. At that price, postage should be free as it costs only a few bucks, anyway. My only problem is that Custom Cables are closed for the holidays so my cable won't arrive before January 10 or so.

Anyone fancy some calamari for lunch!!!

Guys do not be shy about ticking the thumbs up box for the guys who answer your questions, especially when you are the one who asked it - you can also make a comment in it.  - Just Saying. 
blink.gif

Relic,  Mython, and others, etc. are very helpful and patient on these threads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
angry_face.gif
L3000.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #7,273 of 42,765

For any USB DAC, the user has to choose between whether to give the DAC an exclusive access by a particular program (e.g. JRiver) or allow multiple programs to output sound at the same time.

Giving exclusive access means the program can directly send the digital data (bit perfect) to the DAC without compromise, so most audiophile programs like JRiver default to this method.

When you install Mojo's drivers onto Windows, it actually installs three different drivers. DirectSound, ASIO and WASAPI. Windows can only see DirectSound, whereas JRiver can see all three, and you can choose which one to use. Generally ASIO or WASAPI are preferred because they are designed to give exclusive access to the DAC.

DirectSound is what Windows uses (this is what shows up on Windows Sound Properties). It isn't preferred for audiophile listening because it is designed to send the music to Windows Mixer, which allows multiple programs to output the sound at the same time. Because each program may be using different bit depths and sample rates, Windows Volume Mixer's job is to make sure they are all converted and mixed to the sample rate specified in Windows Sound Properties (e.g. 44.1kHz). All sound is converted to 32 bit float then dithered back to 16 or 24 bits, so it is not bit perfect.

Old Windows Mixer on Windows XP were horrible so people historically stay away from DirectSound. Mixer on Windows 7 and up are pretty decent, but people still prefer exclusive access via ASIO/WASAPI drivers, because we want to ensure pure playback and avoid random noise (e.g. e-mail notification sound effect etc.) to interfere with music.

The bottom line is, you have to choose between absolute purity vs. convenience. You can set up to have multiple programs to output to Mojo at the same time, but JRiver is not set up to do that by default, so you need to change the settings.

I think this post needs its own place somewhere that it can't be missed. Again I think I should link it to the Mojo Issues - Solutions thread.

Yes, I linked this on the first page of this thread, last night
smile.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #7,275 of 42,765
I wonder how many Mojos Santa will be delivering, around the world, this xmas?

My guess is many hundreds!
Its thousands .....Santa has put several extra big Sacks on his slay he's even having to add more reindeer to help pull it and we are sending some extra shipments up to the North Pole just in case he needs even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back