Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 18, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #7,141 of 42,765
I would have guessed it isn't the cable making the sound "warmer" but reducing distortion caused by noise entering the Mojo, which we are more sensitive to in the treble.

Quote:
  Coaxial Digital Input not working?!

I purchased my first coax digital cable;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZCHJA8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Wrong cable I'd bet. You need one that is terminated in a 3.5mm TS plug, which looks like a mono version of a regular headphone plug.

What the heck, now it's putting out DSD, I didn't change anything.

Where did you get Jimi in DSD?

Looks like up-sampling mode in HF Player, which is advised against for the Mojo. The DSD up-sampling mode is good with Sabre-based DACs, because it bypasses their rather lacklustre filters, but unnecessary in the Mojo which has a completely different system.

hey guys,
i am having plans to get this. i learnt that it supports coax, usb and optical inputs. i won't be using the optical one but i am a bit stranded between the the other two.

my guess is that the usb output from my dap will send audio files to the mojo's usb input without getting tampered by the dap's dac or the amp. am i right?
what about the coax output from my dap? will music files pass through the dap's dac or amp (i believe the amp doesn't touch them but what about my dap's dac?) before being sent to the mojo's coax input?

What DAP do you have? I don't know of any with a USB output.

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #7,142 of 42,765
hey guys,
i am having plans to get this. i learnt that it supports coax, usb and optical inputs. i won't be using the optical one but i am a bit stranded between the the other two.

my guess is that the usb output from my dap will send audio files to the mojo's usb input without getting tampered by the dap's dac or the amp. am i right?
what about the coax output from my dap? will music files pass through the dap's dac or amp (i believe the amp doesn't touch them but what about my dap's dac?) before being sent to the mojo's coax input?

I see you have the X3ii. The only digital output on the X3ii is the coaxial output that's shared with the line out. Considering this you need a custom cable that will be compatible with the TRRS connection in the X3ii. If you don't throw your FiiO in the dustbin like you did with the e11 (been reading your posts in the X3ii thread), then you will completely bypass the DAC and amp in the X3ii and the Mojo will do all the digital to analogue conversion and amplification. The X3ii will essentially just be a transport for music files.

Here's a link to a custom cable you need. You select your plug options for the X3ii and Mojo:

http://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-mini-coax-digital-cable-hifiman-player.html

Edit: To be clear for those that do not know, the USB OTG function on the FiiO DAPs is for expanded storage, not for audio output.

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #7,143 of 42,765
  I never believed that audiophile USB cables make a difference, but was proved wrong recently when using Supra USB (with Audioquest micro adapter) with Mojo; the difference between the out of box usb and this is rather significant; wider soundstage, better instrument separation, less harsh - so I can only deduce Mojo likes good quality cables.. still don't understand how this works, digital is digital is digital

On another note, Mojo + HD600 (with HD650 cables and important 100 hour burn in) is a stunning combination. After going through Shure SRH1840, Oppo PM3, Hifiman HE560, the HD600s come on top as the most honest to source/balanced sound with the Mojo. 

Hey Emilsoft. How did you like the 560 with the Mojo, im leaning towards a Mojo but im not certain if its the best choice with the 560 (my main headphone)

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #7,144 of 42,765
I find myself with a spare coax cable - 3.5mm TS (mono) male plugs with ~24" of real 75-ohm RG179 cable (from Belkin). Ordered one to connect my X3 and Mojo and they for some reason sent me two. PM me if your interested. Cheers

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #7,145 of 42,765
  i went to that site they have black dragon cable as well which says it adds warmth i think i will like it more than the silver one

i was wondering before i buy it is really worth paying about 85 usd compared to 3 usd for the ebay cable like is there a real difference

Save yourself some dollars and go with the cheaper option - no difference. Actually, there is a difference - asthetics.

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #7,146 of 42,765
At the risk of being flamed, I don't see how the composition of the USB cable wire can add warmth to digital data from whatever device is being used as a transport

I was a strong believer in that USB cables make no difference, I don't see how it does this, but using my Supra USB cable everything sound less strained and easier to listen to, but with clearer instrument separation, which might be classified as warmer.

Dec 18, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #7,147 of 42,765
  Hey Emilsoft. How did you like the 560 with the Mojo, im leaning towards a Mojo but im not certain if its the best choice with the 560 (my main headphone)

No problems driving the 560s, if you are looking for a small amp/dac them at this price level don't think you can do much better really.. I should say that I didn't listen to the 560s for long as I didn't like them as much as the HD600s, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #7,148 of 42,765
Dec 18, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #7,149 of 42,765
  Save yourself some dollars and go with the cheaper option - no difference. Actually, there is a difference - asthetics.

There is a difference with USB cables in terms of sound quality, surprisingly so. I wouldn't spend more than 30-40£ however

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #7,152 of 42,765
  i am happy to see the starter of basshead thread is liking the mojo :) 

My audio brain was born in front of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. B.S.O + Half Shell venue = musical impact that is felt.

Any live Orchestra fans out there? Then you know what I'm saying. More power than any Rock or Hip Hop show.

"It rubs the lotion on it's skin..!"

It does or it  gets the ...something.
Only with a micro fiber cloth and nothing other than a pinch  of pure soap.
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #7,154 of 42,765
9/10 audiophiles recommend keeping the hose away from the mojo, even if it refuses to rub the lotion on its skin

And what about the "tuck"? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #7,155 of 42,765
:blink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back