Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 18, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #7,126 of 42,765
  I never believed that audiophile USB cables make a difference, but was proved wrong recently when using Supra USB (with Audioquest micro adapter) with Mojo; the difference between the out of box usb and this is rather significant; wider soundstage, better instrument separation, less harsh - so I can only deduce Mojo likes good quality cables.. still don't understand how this works, digital is digital is digital

On another note, Mojo + HD600 (with HD650 cables and important 100 hour burn in) is a stunning combination. After going through Shure SRH1840, Oppo PM3, Hifiman HE560, the HD600s come on top as the most honest to source/balanced sound with the Mojo. 

is their an ultra short usb cable to connect to an android phone, that makes it connected in a neat way, i bought one from ebay which is cheap, but now u mention that the quality of the cables makes a difference i was wondering if there is an ultra short cable that is supposed to be audiophile quality

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #7,127 of 42,765
  I never believed that audiophile USB cables make a difference, but was proved wrong recently when using Supra USB (with Audioquest micro adapter) with Mojo; the difference between the out of box usb and this is rather significant; wider soundstage, better instrument separation, less harsh - so I can only deduce Mojo likes good quality cables.. still don't understand how this works, digital is digital is digital

On another note, Mojo + HD600 (with HD650 cables and important 100 hour burn in) is a stunning combination. After going through Shure SRH1840, Oppo PM3, Hifiman HE560, the HD600s come on top as the most honest to source/balanced sound with the Mojo. 

As they always say there is no such thing as a good cable, but there are many bad ones.

Most USB cables are fine for 44.1kHz data but it gets particularly picky as you go up in sample rate. I found that even for Mojo, a lot of generic USB cables (e.g. Belkin) I can hear subtle "pop pop pop" noise every time I play higher than 192kHz PCM. I guess this sort of interference noise is occurring to a lesser degree even at lower sample rates. Using better cables (I used Audioquest Cinnamon) solves this problem completely.

Although digital is digital, USB cable also carries 5V power line which Mojo relies on, which is severely contaminated by the source (PC) or the signal (data line on USB cable). You can visually see the amount of noise on the 5V line increase as you play music, because the digital signal "hops" across to the adjacent 5V line. Different cables does this to varying degrees. It's like hearing the interference noise from mobile phone signal that some people complain about on the Mojo. Digital system still has analogue amp that gets contaminated with signal spills.

Mojo and most other USB DACs have sufficient input filter circuit to clean up these noise but it can spill in somewhat. The bottom line is that it's good to use a quality cable though I think many of the fancy "audio grade" USB cables are overpriced.

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #7,128 of 42,765

This will sound crazy but I've got a Vtech usb cable that has a ferrite device in it, it came with one of my sons ipad-like toys.  I swear it has creates more bass response than the provided usb that came with mojo.  I'm waiting to get into cables until I get a new phone (2016), after then i'll look for a usb-otg cable that slightly boosts bass as that's my preferred sig.

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #7,129 of 42,765

This will sound crazy but I've got a Vtech usb cable that has a ferrite device in it, it came with one of my sons ipad-like toys.  I swear it has creates more bass response than the provided usb that came with mojo.  I'm waiting to get into cables until I get a new phone (2016), after then i'll look for a usb-otg cable that slightly boosts bass as that's my preferred sig.

so is there an ultra short usb-otg cable to connect mojo to my galaxy note 3 that is better than the cheap ones found on ebay

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #7,131 of 42,765

not sure, the cable I'm liking(had like 20 at home I tried) is about 2 feet long.

i need an ultra ultra  short one 

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #7,132 of 42,765

not sure, the cable I'm liking(had like 20 at home I tried) is about 2 feet long.

i need an ultra ultra  short one 

Shortest is this one from ebay

Any of the custom cable makers might be able to make you 'audiophile' grade usb cables at your desired length and termination.
http://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-form-fit-usb-cable-by-moon-audio.html

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #7,133 of 42,765
  Good to know, have you compared your Samsung S5 phone Vs the X3ii into your Mojo yet?

Sorry, no. Once I got the X3ii going with the Mojo, I haven't really gone back to the S5 hook up. I found the whole "phone as player" thing rather unpleasant. I so much prefer the ergonomics of a dedicated player. There are so many reasons why I prefer to use the X3ii as transport than the phone. But, hey, that's just me. I also prefer using dedicated cameras rather than use the phone camera. I guess I'm old fashioned, or just old, maybe :)

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #7,134 of 42,765
Sorry, no. Once I got the X3ii going with the Mojo, I haven't really gone back to the S5 hook up. I found the whole "phone as player" thing rather unpleasant. I so much prefer the ergonomics of a dedicated player. There are so many reasons why I prefer to use the X3ii as transport than the phone. But, hey, that's just me. I also prefer using dedicated cameras rather than use the phone camera. I guess I'm old fashioned, or just old, maybe :)
I used my S6 edge when I first got my Mojo (without an app like uapp) and the sound was great except for the radio interference. My main source is a DAP now though as I need my phone battery and I prefer the interface of the DAP too on a commute either source is indistinguishable audibly (except the interference) with my headphones.

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #7,135 of 42,765
  Shortest is this one from ebay

Any of the custom cable makers might be able to make you 'audiophile' grade usb cables at your desired length and termination.
http://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-form-fit-usb-cable-by-moon-audio.html

i went to that site they have black dragon cable as well which says it adds warmth i think i will like it more than the silver one

i was wondering before i buy it is really worth paying about 85 usd compared to 3 usd for the ebay cable like is there a real difference

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #7,136 of 42,765
I used my S6 edge when I first got my Mojo (without an app like uapp) and the sound was great except for the radio interference. My main source is a DAP now though as I need my phone battery and I prefer the interface of the DAP too on a commute either source is indistinguishable audibly (except the interference) with my headphones.

i wouldn't disagree with you there. I couldn't honestly say I can hear any difference between the 2. And yep, the battery is one of the main issues for me; interface being the other. I did quite like to have Tidal access though. Actually I got round the interference issue by cheating a bit, I ended up using my old S4 as the player-phone and wifi connecting it to the internet for Tidal :)

Ps.. am due for an upgrade in Jan, phone-wise, so Ill probably be dabbling again :)

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #7,138 of 42,765
i went to that site they have black dragon cable as well which says it adds warmth i think i will like it more than the silver one

i was wondering before i buy it is really worth paying about 85 usd compared to 3 usd for the ebay cable like is there a real difference

At the risk of being flamed, I don't see how the composition of the USB cable wire can add warmth to digital data from whatever device is being used as a transport

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #7,140 of 42,765
At the risk of being flamed, I don't see how the composition of the USB cable wire can add warmth to digital data from whatever device is being used as a transport

PCM unlike data files do not have any error checking/correction. What you get on the receiving end can be different than the transmission source and those difference will change the resulting analog sound. Better cables will reduce/eliminate these errors. 

Going back to data files, the same holds true - a better cable will appear to transmit data "faster" because the receiving end has less errors to correct, which negatively effect transfer rates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back