Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 13, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #4,906 of 42,765
Oh dear ...

I'm having way too much fun this evening ... almost total self-indulgence.

Music selections for the rest of the night ... Evanescence, Stravinsky, Miles Davis, Jean-Michel Jarre.

A glass (for now) of The McCallan ME and then a hint of German engineering ...

Three DAC/Amps, three sets of headphones (done with the AKGs for tonight), and the AK120 for variety.

Now ... as long as Ms. Krall doesn't start serenading me I might make it through to morning with just a little sleep ...

Which is a very long winded, and badly punctuated, way of saying ... "I am really digging this Mojo so far!"

Jean Michel Jarre? My favorite!

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #4,907 of 42,765
I haven't hear the Bimby or Gumby but from owning the DAC-19 and directly comparing it to the Mojo I would say they are both exceptional in regard to timing and clarity. The Mojo seems to show a little more detail and is slightly clinical in the way that it is easier to hear the details in the recording. The DAC-19 is slightly more spacious and has a little more of a wide room feeling to it. I can get a sense of space easier with the DAC-19. Again, for the job of digging in to the recording and reproducing the detail both units are very good. Of course this is how I'm hearing it on my setup so YMMV. Stillhart was saying he has a preference for the DAC-19 because he didn't like the more forward (bright) sound of the Gumby. Connecting the dots I would say you would be close in your conclusion. Not hearing the Schiit gear I can't guarantee that statement though.

As I wrote in my review Rob was fairly clear that he thought the Mojo was every bit as good as the Hugo but it's tuned slightly smoother for its intended purpose. Some may find that a negative and some may prefer it. I guess it all comes down to preference. I just find the technicalities of the Mojo to be far better than I would have guessed given its price, and I was really groovin' on the sound it produces.

Thanks. I do like the Bimby, but it is slightly forward for my taste. I'm hoping the Mojo while as you say is "slightly clinical" than the Dac-19's smooth and warm qualities, I hope the Mojo is not as forward and aggressive as the Bimby. I'm hoping to replace the Bimby with Mojo as portable and desktop and add the Dac-19 later (as it sounds like something I would love). 

Also the fact that Rob says that it's every bit as good as the Hugo but tuned slightly smoother is unheard of when it's quarter of the cost of the Hugo. Thanks for the quote. 

(My Mojo was supposed to arrive today, but because of Veterans Day, USPS is delayed a day. Should have it tomorrow and hoping it's all as everyone says.) 

Nov 13, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #4,910 of 42,765
I have been using this and it works great for me. However bare in mind some coating do not work

http://www.oyaide.com/ENGLISH/AUDIO/products_category/headphone_earphone_cbl/pg751.html

Nov 13, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #4,911 of 42,765
Where can I buy the Mojo besides Moon Audio in the US?

Nov 13, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #4,912 of 42,765
  Where can I buy the Mojo besides Moon Audio in the US?

I got mine from "Todd the Vinyl Junkie"; specifically ... Chord Mojo.

I had originally ordered from Moon Audio, but wound up cancelling when the shipment I thought I was in didn't arrive at all (was delayed a week the day after it was due to arrive ... with no guarantee I was in the next batch either).

Was worth the wait though ... it's very impressive.

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #4,914 of 42,765
Just share how i stack my AK100ii with mojo without rubber band.

i might buy the mojo and do the same stack like u but from where did you buy the interconnect i want the same one and what is its length , is that custom made of can be bought offshelf

do u like sound now better than ak100ii sound

which do u like more balanced from ak100ii or what u get form mojo

how does the bass now compare with the mojo in the mix

forgot to ask with that interconnect are u now using the mojo's dac

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #4,915 of 42,765
Hi hykhleif, the optical cable is from sysconcept which i just it yesterday. The distance between the 2 devices connection is 26mm.

As i use Ath-r70x, i need an amp to run as the headphone is 470ohms. The AK100ii do not have enough power to let the r70x headphone to run to it's potential. So i cannot compare AK100ii with mojo.

If i use se846 to compare hugo and ak100ii on single-ended, hugo has more detail. But personally, i find se846 is a good match with AK100ii but not with hugo. If compare hugo and mojo, i find mojo is more warm than hugo. Hugo is still better than mojo but not by a lot so mojo is good value. I buy mojo for portability and if i lost it then i will not be as heart pain as losing hugo. So that is my purpose for buying mojo.

If hugo sound better than AK240 as some had mentioned while mojo is almost sounded like hugo. What will you think about mojo? Therefore, mojo is really a good value. Not regretting for getting one.

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #4,916 of 42,765
  Oh dear ...

I'm having way too much fun this evening ... almost total self-indulgence.

Music selections for the rest of the night ... Evanescence, Stravinsky, Miles Davis, Jean-Michel Jarre.

A glass (for now) of The McCallan ME and then a hint of German engineering ...

Three DAC/Amps, three sets of headphones (done with the AKGs for tonight), and the AK120 for variety.

Now ... as long as Ms. Krall doesn't start serenading me I might make it through to morning with just a little sleep ...

Which is a very long winded, and badly punctuated, way of saying ... "I am really digging this Mojo so far!"

Your Macbook plays records? jeez that Steve Jobs was clever

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #4,917 of 42,765
  just posted  a "Review" , well more of an essay really of the mojo... enjoy!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-mojo/reviews/14494

brilliant stuff salla.
really appreciate the thoughtfulness and time you took out to give the rest of us a sense of what we may well experience as well.
like it was sort of cathartic for you too?

exhilarating times ahead!

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #4,918 of 42,765
  brilliant stuff salla.
really appreciate the thoughtfulness and time you took out to give the rest of us a sense of what we may well experience as well.
like it was sort of cathartic for you too?

exhilarating times ahead!

thank you. I hope you get your's soon. Yes a bit cathartic. Ive never had such a chalk and cheese moment with digital based sources before. Traditionally you may think,"well, I'm pretty sure that's better" and switch back and forth , trying to hear differences. This is just immensely and immediately different, and it's in that sense of 3d space and complete utter understanding of the music. 

Good times ahead!

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #4,919 of 42,765
Ha, I listen to MCMXC a.D. Quite often. It's a fun album to get lost in.

beerchug.gif

Cross of Changes is the same and came after. It practically follows on from MCMXC a.D. Quite often Cross of Changes acts like a musical reprieve of MCMXC a.D.

One track that is totally new is The Dream of the Dolphin. As it plays it makes me vaguely think, "ah, maybe just slightly pretentious lyrics". Then it gets to the last line and I nearly burst into tears.

"The Dream Of The Dolphin"
In every colour there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
"Man is the dream of the dolphin".

Anyway once more I digress from Mojo talk. I apologise folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back