Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 9, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #4,591 of 42,765
Soo bummed I missed the TTVJ tip a few hours ago. This Moon-Audio backorder is killing me...

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #4,592 of 42,765
  It's charging and playing same time - it's almost certainly heat related I think, only that I was expecting lot more heat to be generated before the kill switch.

Might be an issue during summer. (Asuming you are in the northern hemisphere), running as a desktop DAC and charging. The last thing you want is the DAC switching off.

-------------

By the way I read on an Amazon review that once the Mojo reaches full charge, the charging switches off.  In other words it won't sit constantly charging, and for desktop operation the charging cycle needs to be manually restarted.

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #4,593 of 42,765
Nov 10, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #4,594 of 42,765
Does anyone have the ALO International+ & Mojo and care to provide a comparison?

I have the ALO and wondering how different the two are and if it's worth to upgrade.

Also - How does the K-10s pair with the Mojo?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance!

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #4,595 of 42,765

Might be an issue during summer. (Asuming you are in the orthern hemisphere), running as a desktop DAC and charging. The last thing you want is the DAC switching off.

-------------

By the way I read on an Amazon review that once the Mojo reaches full charge, the charging switches off.  In other words it won't sit constantly charging, and for desktop operation the charging cycle needs to be manually restarted.

Just to clarify. Charging is automatic. If you are playing and charging at the same time, with a fully charged battery, the charger will supply enough current to balance the consumption used by Mojo, so no net current into the battery. If its fully charged and the unit is off, the charger will go off. The charger will re charge automatically when the battery voltage falls to 8.2v (off at 8.4v) so keeping the charger connected will ensure a full charge.

Rob 

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #4,596 of 42,765
Just to clarify. Charging is automatic. If you are playing and charging at the same time, with a fully charged battery, the charger will supply enough current to balance the consumption used by Mojo, so no net current into the battery. If its fully charged and the unit is off, the charger will go off. The charger will re charge automatically when the battery voltage falls to 8.2v (off at 8.4v) so keeping the charger connected will ensure a full charge.

Rob 

Thanks, Rob. What is the behavior when the unit is on but not playing anything? Will the smart charging still work, or is this not recommended for long periods when not using?

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #4,598 of 42,765

I don't understand why Sysconcept make all this effort to make a nice compact optical cable, but do nothing at all to make these fragile things more robust. They are missing a trick, here!  That ultra-compact cable in the above photos could be very easily enshrouded by making a 2mm-3mm thick plate (rigid plastic or carbon fibre, etc.), and then epoxying the fragile optical cable (and the plug flanges) to this plate/substrate, and neatly covered with some heatshrink.

Something approximately like this:

I appreciate that a degree of compromise would be involved, in terms of some flexion perhaps being desirable, to reduce strain on the toslink sockets, but the way that cable currently is, it's going to get wrecked in no time...

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  (don't worry; I can take constructive criticism
wink.gif
)

Now the initial idea from sysconcept was great! But your idea is even better and adds no thickness or depth with many advantages like being easier to pull out the cables!

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #4,599 of 42,765
Thanks, Rob. What is the behavior when the unit is on but not playing anything? Will the smart charging still work, or is this not recommended for long periods when not using?

You can leave it plugged in and charging with no signal. The power consumption is a little lower with no signal but otherwise its the same, just merrily reproducing 0.

Rob

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #4,600 of 42,765
  Does anyone have the ALO International+ & Mojo and care to provide a comparison?

I have the ALO and wondering how different the two are and if it's worth to upgrade.

Also - How does the K-10s pair with the Mojo?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance!

I asked the same question earlier in the thread. I agree the Mojo and International+ are likely the two closest competitors on the market and I evaluated both amplifiers for 30-miuntes with my Etymōtic ER•4S headphones. I need to further evaluate the Mojo in the coming weeks when my unit arrives but I initially perceived the International+ has greater bass extension-- the other sonic differences will require many more hours of close review. The International+ also benefits from balanced inputs/outputs, gain switch, and traditional volume control. I also feel the International+ has higher build quality (specifically a smaller and more rigid enclosure). On a spec sheet the Mojo's DAC is certainly more impressive than International+'s CS4398 DAC chip but ALO always builds a fine amplifier section. 

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #4,601 of 42,765

I asked the same question earlier in the thread. I agree the Mojo and International+ are likely the two closest competitors on the market and I evaluated both amplifiers for 30-miuntes with my Etymōtic ER•4S headphones. I need to further evaluate the Mojo in the coming weeks when my unit arrives but I initially perceived the International+ has greater bass extension-- the other sonic differences will require many more hours of close review. The International+ also benefits from balanced inputs/outputs, gain switch, and traditional volume control. I also feel the International+ has higher build quality (specifically a smaller and more rigid enclosure). On a spec sheet the Mojo's DAC is certainly more impressive than International+'s CS4398 DAC chip but ALO always builds a fine amplifier section.

Hey there!

Very interesting! I agree that the ALO Int+ is a fine amp. I'm looking forward to reading more after you get your Mojo.
The appeal for me is that optical input which would work great with my AK 120.

Thanks much for information!

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #4,602 of 42,765

Hey there!

Very interesting! I agree that the ALO Int+ is a fine amp. I'm looking forward to reading more after you get your Mojo.
The appeal for me is that optical input which would work great with my AK 120.

Thanks much for information!

I beleive John Darko of digitalaudioreview.net has both the International+ Optical Edition and Mojo and perhaps his final Mojo review will settle the score. 

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #4,603 of 42,765

Seems like the short distance means this is specifically tailored for AK100 - Mojo connection? 

For example, this will not work for AK120ii - Mojo given the size difference and longer distance between the respective ports? 

It works with the DX80, the AK100 and the AK100II. These are what I have at hand and the distance and placement of the optical out is the same on all three. What is the measurement center to center (toslink/mini optical) for the AK120II to the Mojo? 

It's the same for AK120 II. My C2C was 25mm with AK120ii, i can use the same with Ak100.

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #4,604 of 42,765
Cheap otg cable. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=301669713346&alt=web, works with My Sony Z5 and Mojo

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #4,605 of 42,765
Cheap otg cable. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=301669713346&alt=web, works with My Sony Z5 and Mojo

Yep, I have that one. Have a few others, including more expensive ones like the TTVJ one... Can't hear a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back