Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 14, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #42,106 of 42,765
If the upcomming Chord product is a Mojo 2, hopefully it preserves it's sound signature and improves upon it.
I don’t find anything wrong, too warm, rolled, or veiled with Mojo at all. I think, with more taps and maybe more elements in the pulse array, we could get more detail. But the analog output sounds just right. I wouldn’t even ask for more power.

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #42,107 of 42,765
I ain't selling either the Mojo or Hugo2, but I take offers on the Focal Clear.
Hadn't Chord heard the expression "Don't fix what's not broke" ?
What has always been missing from Chord lineup, was a DAP! preferably a wifi enabled one.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #42,108 of 42,765
I don’t find anything wrong, too warm, rolled, or veiled with Mojo at all. I think, with more taps and maybe more elements in the pulse array, we could get more detail. But the analog output sounds just right. I wouldn’t even ask for more power.
I found the Mojo a bit rolled off in the higher frequencies. Mojo does not sound warm to me either, not sure why so many claim it's warm sounding, maybe because of a lack of sharpness/etch in the upper frequencies that a lot of delta sigma DAC's exhibit (especially ESS DAC's).

Compared to other chip based DAC's what I like most about the Mojo is a lack of hiss, good Imaging with decent soundstage depth and good musicality.

I've tried many DAC's and a lot of them had wider soundstage, more details and harder hitting Bass than the Mojo but all of the delta sigma DAC's (that I've tried) had poor soundstage depth and some had issues with hiss and channel imbalance at low volumes.

I read that the only other DAC's that do soundstage & Imaging well are R2R DAC's so I'm planning to get Cayin RU6 soon and see for myself how it performs. I got really curious about it after someone mentioned RU6 sounds better than Mojo.

Dec 16, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #42,109 of 42,765
I found the Mojo a bit rolled off in the higher frequencies. Mojo does not sound warm to me either, not sure why so many claim it's warm sounding, maybe because of a lack of sharpness/etch in the upper frequencies that a lot of delta sigma DAC's exhibit (especially ESS DAC's).
There is no real definition for the term Warm sound .
People use it descriptively, and can mean many things to different people.
Rolled off at top is one such meaning, having raised low order distortions (2nd, 3rd , 4th) ia another!
Some people even describe (by default) a low distortion amp as Cold sounding , sterile and analytical!!
Low IMD amps and DACs, can also be described as clean sounding.
It is all being playful with Words, I bet originally popularized by reviewers.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #42,110 of 42,765
There is no real definition for the term Warm sound .
People use it descriptively, and can mean many things to different people.
Rolled off at top is one such meaning, having raised low order distortions (2nd, 3rd , 4th) ia another!
Some people even describe (by default) a low distortion amp as Cold sounding , sterile and analytical!!
Low IMD amps and DACs, can also be described as clean sounding.
It is all being playful with Words, I bet originally popularized by reviewers.
For me warm means thickness in vocals and hence some bump in mid bass. Ya 2nd harmonic does help

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #42,112 of 42,765
So my Mojo’s usb connection seems to have crapped out. My laptop or iPhone cck wont detect it anymore. It was working until a day ago and nothing changed in my setup. Anyone else had this happen?
Yep, happened to me.
in my case it was the usb input chip.
Chord replaced it for a reasonable fee.
the socket was in good nick, coax and optical were working.

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #42,113 of 42,765
So my Mojo’s usb connection seems to have crapped out. My laptop or iPhone cck wont detect it anymore. It was working until a day ago and nothing changed in my setup. Anyone else had this happen?
email support@chordelectronics.co.uk and see what they advise.
There are many posts about good Chord support on head-fi, so seek their advice first.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #42,115 of 42,765
Exactly my case. All other connectors work fine except usb input. Could you tell me how much it costed for repair or pm me Thanks
Chord are usually good in this respect.
However search this thread for some of the posts about DIY replacing usb ports on the motherboard.
It seems like it is not difficult/risky.
My mindset is that that forty years ago I would DIY to save £2, but nowadays I would rather pay the extra to ensure Quality and good soldering. :wink:

Dec 16, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #42,116 of 42,765
Well if it is the chip, the socket replacement won't do.
they charged me about £55, got a battery too, so I deducted for that.
unless you are a pro and have the right hotair machine, you won't be able to do it.
goto website, send them a message.

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #42,118 of 42,765
I guess this is a good-bye for my mojo can't power my mojo with/without battery.... Is this repairable? Or maybe get a 2nd hand?

Attachments

• _DSC6637.JPG
    _DSC6637.JPG
    627.9 KB · Views: 0
Dec 29, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #42,119 of 42,765
I guess this is a good-bye for my mojo can't power my mojo with/without battery.... Is this repairable? Or maybe get a 2nd hand?
Do not use that charger on anything else, bad charger has done that.
Chord themselves would most likely repair it and install new battery for about £100.
They replaced the large chip near it (USB input chip) and installed a new battery for me for just under £100 including return p&p.
Go to website and contact them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back