Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 8, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #42,125 of 42,765
How does the sound compare to a tera player in terms of just driving iems?
Have no idea! never heard of tera player.
As far sound quality, second only.to its big brother Hugo2.
After sales service, out of warranty? I had an issue, Chord repaired quickly for reasonable fee (usb chip got fried), not an easy job.
it was my doing.

Jan 8, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #42,126 of 42,765
I've heard there can be many issues with the mojo and that customer support is poor?
Does this mean I should stay away from a used unit?
Mojo is great I have put needed support for it, but Chord provided good support for TT2. There is speculation of a Mojo2 to be announced at the end of this month, so I would wait for that. Then you could get the new model or choose from what will likely be many used original Mojos. Although, they will have to pry my OG Mojo from my cold dead hands. It sounds great, and I would say second only to TT2, not H2, which has a different tuning to my ears.

Jan 8, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #42,127 of 42,765
How does the sound compare to a tera player in terms of just driving iems?
The Mojo is hard to beat at it’s price point if you look for a musical and natural reproduction of acoustic recordings. The difference becomes a bit smaller with electronic or highly processed music.
It was a big investment for me when I started with portable audio but I still consider it one of the best buys in my headfi live.

After hearing the Mojo I replaced a $4000 DAC in my Stereo with a Chord 2Qute and later bought the Hugo 2.

Currently I‘d consider waiting for the Mojo 2, and either go for that if the budget allows or pick up a used original Mojo

Jan 8, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #42,128 of 42,765
Mojo is great I have put needed support for it, but Chord provided good support for TT2. There is speculation of a Mojo2 to be announced at the end of this month, so I would wait for that. Then you could get the new model or choose from what will likely be many used original Mojos. Although, they will have to pry my OG Mojo from my cold dead hands. It sounds great, and I would say second only to TT2, not H2, which has a different tuning to my ears.
Good one! I never sell my Mojo either.
I used to prefer Mojo to H2 sometimes.
Now don't get me wrong, I am not a cable guy (freak ) , but a change of cable on my Hifiman Edition XS, changed my opinion.
Not only it improved the Mojo, but also , sort of cured H2 for me.
I still find it hard to believe that mere cable could do that.
Cable in question is a DIY pure silver solid core.
Today, I put another cable together for a test.
This one is also pure silver, but not solid core (8 thin strand), it is more flexible.
in a word, the solid core (stiff) sounds better! it wasn't the silver after all.

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #42,129 of 42,765
Generally speaking, what would be the next step from Mojo retaining the musical tuning of that little gem?

Not that i want to get rid of my Mojo, just curious how much I've to spend for. :wink:

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #42,130 of 42,765
The Mojo is hard to beat at it’s price point if you look for a musical and natural reproduction of acoustic recordings. The difference becomes a bit smaller with electronic or highly processed music.
It was a big investment for me when I started with portable audio but I still consider it one of the best buys in my headfi live.

After hearing the Mojo I replaced a $4000 DAC in my Stereo with a Chord 2Qute and later bought the Hugo 2.

Currently I‘d consider waiting for the Mojo 2, and either go for that if the budget allows or pick up a used original Mojo
Yes it's relatively cheap in the realm of high end audio but the gain at best will only be a 10% improvement compared so say a $300 headphone that will be give a 90% improving compared to cheap $10 headphones/iems.

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #42,131 of 42,765
Generally speaking, what would be the next step from Mojo retaining the musical tuning of that little gem?

Not that i want to get rid of my Mojo, just curious how much I've to spend for. :wink:
I found Metrum/ Sonnet DACs like Pavane or Morpheus to be step up from Mojo keeping musicality intact. Infant taking it a notch up. However they are 10 times the price of Mojo

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #42,132 of 42,765
Good one! I never sell my Mojo either.
I used to prefer Mojo to H2 sometimes.
It’s my understanding that the Mojo’s filter came over to the H2. It could be either filter 3 or 4, which should be warmer than filters 1 and 2. Do you think that might be right?

I’ve been figuring that an eventual Mojo 2 is would have a sound that places it somewhere between Hugo 2 with a wam filter and the current Mojo. It’ll likely have a more powerful FPGA that can produce more taps so it will resolve more detail and have improved timing but with a tonality similar to one of the warm filters on H2. But one never knows what Rob has up his sleeves.

A new FPGA would be more powerful but might also be less power-hungry. If that’s the case, we could get longer battery life and/or greater output power.

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #42,133 of 42,765
I found Metrum/ Sonnet DACs like Pavane or Morpheus to be step up from Mojo keeping musicality intact. Infant taking it a notch up. However they are 10 times the price of Mojo
:ksc75smile:

For this price, I'd rather jump on the Holo Audio Spring 3, I guess.
But this TT Dac part is filled with the R28.

So there's none in the portable/transportable world?

Thanks for your heads up, Kumar.

Jan 9, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #42,134 of 42,765
Yes it's relatively cheap in the realm of high end audio but the gain at best will only be a 10% improvement compared so say a $300 headphone that will be give a 90% improving compared to cheap $10 headphones/iems.

I have been using Mojo with IEMs from about $200-1000. To me, the contribution of Mojo to the sound quality I get is way higher. There is an underlying musicality that I find simply engaging, which is hard to put in words. It just keeps me interested in the music.
I tried other DACs but kept returning to the Mojo.

I also asked myself many times what I would want to buy/keep if my budget was limited to say $700 or 1000, and I would seriously prefer my $200 JVC FDX1 with Mojo over my $1000 Sony IER-M9 without. But this is a deeply personal choice, and I guess most listeners would decide differently.

I think it has something to do with my classical music experience of listening to many live concerts and playing the piano. I am really irritated when acoustic music does not sound right. The Mojo was really a revelation in that sense.

Hugo 2 is significantly better in terms of staging and especially note definition and precision top to bottom, but the Mojo is a bit like a really old recording of great music - not technically perfect but it captures the soul of the music beautifully. $500 is a lot of money for many, but if you love music and it‘s within your budget I think it‘s a great investment.

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #42,135 of 42,765
I have been using Mojo with IEMs from about $200-1000. To me, the contribution of Mojo to the sound quality I get is way higher. There is an underlying musicality that I find simply engaging, which is hard to put in words. It just keeps me interested in the music.
I tried other DACs but kept returning to the Mojo.

I also asked myself many times what I would want to buy/keep if my budget was limited to say $700 or 1000, and I would seriously prefer my $200 JVC FDX1 with Mojo over my $1000 Sony IER-M9 without. But this is a deeply personal choice, and I guess most listeners would decide differently.

I think it has something to do with my classical music experience of listening to many live concerts and playing the piano. I am really irritated when acoustic music does not sound right. The Mojo was really a revelation in that sense.

Hugo 2 is significantly better in terms of staging and especially note definition and precision top to bottom, but the Mojo is a bit like a really old recording of great music - not technically perfect but it captures the soul of the music beautifully. $500 is a lot of money for many, but if you love music and it‘s within your budget I think it‘s a great investment.
Can the mojo bypass the dac and amp of any iphone/android iphone or dap like the old ipad nanos?
If not are these any dap that comes close to the mojo sonically for more or less the same price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back