Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 27, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #41,941 of 42,765
Good day everybody.

I am testing another battery for Mojo from AliExpress, this one: Link

Product looks so in AliExpress:
Right now it says 45 people have ordered it since is in AliExpress.

Going to post some images for comparison with the original battery specs, size and to show if it fits in the device well. Then, for the results will post later as need time to test it and so the post will not be overly crowded as well. Click on the image for closer view.

Writing this here in this thread, as is most popular, most posts for Mojo in the forum and if somebody is looking for results with this battery, there is chance he will look here first.

Mojo 2-nd Bat. 1.jpg

This is compared to the original one:
Mojo 2-nd Bat. 2.jpg

Mojo 2-nd Bat. 3.jpg
After your post (Thanx) I ordered two of these batteries myself ($35including del. + Tax/VAT).
They say 2000mAh, and original is 1650mAh - but the weight difference is mere 3 grams! and that could be the larger wire.
But it is exact size , so it does fit.
I shall charge them up before I store them, also to see if they heat up or not, and what mileage I get.

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #41,942 of 42,765
After your post (Thanx) I ordered two of these batteries myself ($35including del. + Tax/VAT).
They say 2000mAh, and original is 1650mAh - but the weight difference is mere 3 grams! and that could be the larger wire.
I shall charge them up before I store them, also to see if they heat up or not, and what mileage I get.

Just some advice - LiPo pouch cells are produced with an inhibitor chemical that is designed to protect them from aging before they are put to use. This inhibitor dissolves over the first couple of charge/discharge cycles, losing it's protective function.
Therefore, if you want to store the packs for future use I would recommend not to charge them.

If you still wish to charge them, the best practice for long term storage is to discharge the cells to 3,7V (3,6 is also common) and repeat a controlled cycle charge - discharge to 3,7V cycle every 6 months.

I'll be getting the same pack in the next weeks and run it through some cycles on my charge station.
I'll report back about the performance.

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #41,943 of 42,765
Just some advice - LiPo pouch cells are produced with an inhibitor chemical that is designed to protect them from aging before they are put to use. This inhibitor dissolves over the first couple of charge/discharge cycles, losing it's protective function.
Therefore, if you want to store the packs for future use I would recommend not to charge them.
That is useful info. I had no idea, thanx.
If you still wish to charge them, the best practice for long term storage is to discharge the cells to 3,7V (3,6 is also common) and repeat a controlled cycle charge - discharge to 3,7V cycle every 6 months.
You mean 7.4V! isn't that a bit low? I know they are rated at that, but in reality even at 30% capacity they are above that voltage.
I'll be getting the same pack in the next weeks and run it through some cycles on my charge station.
I'll report back about the performance.
I had mine open, while charging it, it stays cool, cool! no heating whatso-ever.

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #41,944 of 42,765
That is useful info. I had no idea, thanx.

You mean 7.4V! isn't that a bit low? I know they are rated at that, but in reality even at 30% capacity they are above that voltage.

I had mine open, while charging it, it stays cool, cool! no heating whatso-ever.

Correct! The stated voltage is per cell, the Mojo’s pack is 2 cells, so yes, 7,4V is correct for the pack.
The 3,7 corresponds to app. 30% charge state, which is recommended for storage.
Cells should never be stored fully charged, this can lead to quick aging.

That‘s not just a theoretical recommendation - I once put a Cayin N3 DAP away after fully charging it. A year or more later I wanted to use it again and within a few cycles the battery was puffed and dead. Even bent and popped the DAP case open.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #41,945 of 42,765
Ok, waiting for your results.

I use it for....mmmm, 3 weeks or so now, only 1 screw and not very tight to keep an eye if it does get swollen, it will open the case and i will see it. Happy to report no issues and is all fine. Hope you will get same results. When it comes, check if it is same colour, mine is blue. Chinese batteries might be any colour and is no indication, but they are often yellow and white, like in the product page says 2000mah and is yellow-white on the product page, while on real is blue. Right.

I checked now and i see two offers looking the same. You ordered the one the more orders right ? 47, 19.58 price on the image.

And this also for information on if someone decide to order, if they look the same, look for the one that is with more orders. With 47, 19.58 euros now. The other one might be just the same with lower price, but might not be as well. So when you reseive it, it should look as on my photos, is blue.

PS: i checked my link from my post back then, it leads to the right one. If you ordered from there all good. - https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005002524097664.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5ece3df6ZeQW5I&algo_pvid=d24def24-d64c-4ad4-8941-b71ab4c083b9&algo_exp_id=d24def24-d64c-4ad4-8941-b71ab4c083b9-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000020992310373"}

Attachments

• Mojo Battery Ali Express.jpg
    Mojo Battery Ali Express.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #41,946 of 42,765
Ok, waiting for your results.

I use it for....mmmm, 3 weeks or so now, only 1 screw and not very tight to keep an eye if it does get swollen, it will open the case and i will see it. Happy to report no issues and is all fine. Hope you will get same results. When it comes, check if it is same colour, mine is blue. Chinese batteries might be any colour and is no indication, but they are often yellow and white, like in the product page says 2000mah and is yellow-white on the product page, while on real is blue. Right.

I checked now and i see two offers looking the same. You ordered the one the more orders right ? 47, 19.58 price on the image.

And this also for information on if someone decide to order, if they look the same, look for the one that is with more orders. With 47, 19.58 euros now. The other one might be just the same with lower price, but might not be as well. So when you reseive it, it should look as on my photos, is blue.

PS: i checked my link from my post back then, it leads to the right one. If you ordered from there all good. - https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005002524097664.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5ece3df6ZeQW5I&algo_pvid=d24def24-d64c-4ad4-8941-b71ab4c083b9&algo_exp_id=d24def24-d64c-4ad4-8941-b71ab4c083b9-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000020992310373"}
Yes I got the same as yours, from the same dealer.
Seems to be OK , listening to it as I write.
I weighed them:
original = 60g
replacement = 63/64g

Sep 28, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #41,947 of 42,765
I did a check on "Jitterbug".
It is a passive device, that mainly uses inductors on 0V and 5V lines (pretty much like what I have done) + a common mode rejector transformer (I believe) on the data lines.
At worst case it shouldn't hurt anything, unless it is badly made (isn't) and it limits bandwidth on data lines too much.
To my surprise there was a test and measurement on ASR forum, claiming it actually introduced noise! hard to swallow, that surface mount inductors can introduce such a noise as claimed.
Ofcourse such attempts (mine and Jitterbugs) can only be effective if there is a problem to solve, meaning using it on a DAC with galvanic isolation will have zero effect.
But perhaps signal from a device with wifi, BT and cell signal blasting to a Mojo can be cleaned up to some degree.
Ofcourse I could be imagining the effect, as I have no means of testing it electrically.
Galvanic isolation on Chord USB inputs basically only vaguely works. It's not perfect isolation, RF will always get through. That's the reason why there's been years of discussion of the use of ferrites.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-230#post-12681548

"So what does this tell us? Basically the most significant path of RF is residual coupling via the USB, not via the mains supply as the jitterbug alone gets you most of the way.

Use the jitter bug for mains powered USB sources - it is worth the small cost."

Those comments were in relation to DAVE. With Mojo the sound quality problems are probably going to be less (well, I've never heard a Mojo be as badly affected by RF as DAVE), but if it's mains-powered and connected to a mains-powered PC there'll probably be benefits.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-1527#post-12873840

"The Audioquest Jitterbug is a small but worthwhile improvement - and that's down to lower RF noise levels not jitter."

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #41,948 of 42,765
Thanx for those links, it is good to know Mr. Watts approves.

Galvanic isolation on Chord USB inputs basically only vaguely works. It's not perfect isolation, RF will always get through. That's the reason why there's been years of discussion of the use of ferrites.
Those comments were in relation to DAVE. With Mojo the sound quality problems are probably going to be less (well, I've never heard a Mojo be as badly affected by RF as DAVE), but if it's mains-powered and connected to a mains-powered PC there'll probably be benefits.
Actually with Mojo, it maybe worse.
Mojo has no USB isolation, and probably connected to a cell phone.
I suppose with a mobile/cell phone the problem gets larger. The phone produces! high RF of vast bandwidth, this is why I have always argued that strapping any DAC to a phone is a bad idea!
A DAP is OK, but a phone blasting RF, not so much.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-1527#post-12873840

"The Audioquest Jitterbug is a small but worthwhile improvement - and that's down to lower RF noise levels not jitter."
My implemation of ferrite cores seems to be doing something positive (only on ground and +5V lines).

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #41,949 of 42,765

It would be excellent to get some more battery life. The 2000mAh over 1650mAh would be great. Might get Mojo up to ten hours. I had good battery life with mine when new, something like eight hours fifteen minutes. ... I just did the maths and it should make the Mojo last 10.3 hours.

@ Mojo thread

There is however another specification to take into consideration. The maximum current discharge rate. However quickly the battery can deliver power. The mojo needs quick dynamic power to be able to respond to peaks and quick transients in the music. (It's why the TT2 has supercaps.) ... Just saying. I am sure the batteries you are looking at are perfect for the job.

Hopefully the batteries you have found are proof that battery tech has moved forward.

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #41,950 of 42,765
It would be excellent to get some more battery life. The 2000mAh over 1650mAh would be great. Might get Mojo up to ten hours. I had good battery life with mine when new, something like eight hours fifteen minutes. ... I just did the maths and it should make the Mojo last 10.3 hours.
FAT chance! no matter what is printed on the sticker.
Ali's $15 battery beating CHORD's original? :nerd:
I hope so, but not holding my breath.
Even if it matches the original, I 'll throw my hat to high heavens.

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #41,951 of 42,765
I may end up eating my own words.
So far the new battery has lasted close to 8 hours and it is still green.
I have used USB input, into Hifiman Sundara which is not exactly efficient nor high impedance !

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #41,952 of 42,765
Battery level indicatorThe 'small' (working time in minutes)Original battery (minutes)Easylander battery (minutes)
Blue5011898
Green50122139
Yellow55205212
Red1104042
Red blinking501011
Charging time to full240345390
On very first charge and not an absolute full charge, I did not get anything like your results.
Though I did not time it as good as you (no patience) in Blue it probably did as yours (90), then went green for hours! honestly I did not even see it going yellow, if it did , must have been very short. then went red for about an hour and then died!
Evidently the discharge curve is different on mine.
Got nine hours in total over five days or so, so it was not one long listening session, have I mentioned I have no patience?
It is fully charged now, I shall check it for the next two charges and report back.
Over all, EXCELLENT! thanx

BTW, I got them at $15 each from the same seller, and they looks identical to yours.
Even on ebay some sellers do that, advertise something multiple times at different prices.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #41,954 of 42,765
Just checking, I've searched and it seems the only way to switch inputs from USB to toslink is to unplug the USB and restart the Mojo is that right? I'm using the Mojo for PC and TV input, battery has been unplugged, I'm just using it as a desktop setup.

And it looks like there were no firmware updates for the Mojo? (Short press switch inputs would be nice heh)

Oct 3, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #41,955 of 42,765
Just checking, I've searched and it seems the only way to switch inputs from USB to toslink is to unplug the USB and restart the Mojo is that right?
Correct.
battery has been unplugged, I'm just using it as a desktop setup.
Same here and i use an optical splitter to feed up to 3 components via the optical input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back