Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 26, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #40,501 of 42,785

Attachments

• 20200826_140331.jpg
    20200826_140331.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Aug 29, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #40,502 of 42,785
Well, now my new chargeable Mojo is behaving oddly.

I have it in line out mode connected to my stereo and to my Desktop amplifier.

Sometimes out of nowhere in anything I'm playing, it will start making a horrible static noise and just lose signal entirely. Rebooting it will often fix the issue, as will pausing and unpausing the audio a few times.

Is there something I ought to do to prevent this? Some unknown mode I can run it in? I can't really replace my PC or motherboard because the DAC doesn't like it.

Aug 29, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #40,503 of 42,785
Well, now my new chargeable Mojo is behaving oddly.

I have it in line out mode connected to my stereo and to my Desktop amplifier.

Sometimes out of nowhere in anything I'm playing, it will start making a horrible static noise and just lose signal entirely. Rebooting it will often fix the issue, as will pausing and unpausing the audio a few times.

Is there something I ought to do to prevent this? Some unknown mode I can run it in? I can't really replace my PC or motherboard because the DAC doesn't like it.
How is it connected to the source? It sounds like it is either losing the sync or maybe RFI, if you have a cell phone too close?

Aug 29, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #40,504 of 42,785
How is it connected to the source? It sounds like it is either losing the sync or maybe RFI, if you have a cell phone too close?

I'm connected to a PC via USB and using Roon. It's actually occurred to me that Roon might be the cause- I switch between applications and frequently have a Chrome tab with some sort of audio in it, or my VPN connected PC at my office is porting audio through.

I've switched Roon to not exist in "Exclusive" mode, which I'm not too concerned about- most of my music is CD FLAC files. We'll see if it happens now.

EDIT: That didn't fix things. It seems almost like there's a "buffer" and if I hop out of it, static.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #40,505 of 42,785
Well the xDuoo X10T II has arrived and I have had a very hard time keeping the Mojo off. I am smitten, enchanted, enamored. I am in love. The sound quality is absolutely sublime. I now realize that Mojo is easily one of the best DACs I've ever owned.

Don't have a cable that will connect the xDuoo to the Mojo optical input, but the coax is just perfect. The microdetails and transients, the blackness of the background, the subtlety, all just incredible. I was also able to get this unit working as a USB-TO-SPDIF converter with my phone/UAPP as a USB source.

If anyone is like me and always having some degree of nervosa over finding a proper transport to get the most out of Mojo, I enthusiastically recommend the xDuoo X10T II. Perfection *chef kiss*

I have the xDuoo X10T II, and tested the stock coaxial, and a silver coaxial (better than stock by a big margin), and Glass fiber Toslink. The Toslink was superior to both the stock coax, and the silver coax. I am certain whatever Chord product is in my future, Silver Coax or Glass Fiber optical will be my choice. I have a poly also, and the XDuoo is far superior in SQ.

Aug 30, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #40,506 of 42,785
How much is a decent replacement battery and where can I source one? Thanks.

Will be putting my Mojo up for sale when I get home.

Aug 30, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #40,507 of 42,785
How much is a decent replacement battery and where can I source one? Thanks.

Will be putting my Mojo up for sale when I get home.
Some dealers advertise the service, for example https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/chord-mojo-replacement-battery-service.html
I think audiosanctuary are pricing that replacement battery service almost 'at cost', so the price of the certified replacement battery is only slightly cheaper.

Google 'chord mojo replacement battery' and plenty of links/videos are listed.
Beware the 'service centres' that try and charge an extra $250 just to fit the battery (which takes just 5 minutes).

Email support@chordelectronics.co.uk for advice, because Chord has been able to ship batteries to specific dealers in the past.

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #40,508 of 42,785
Some dealers advertise the service, for example https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/chord-mojo-replacement-battery-service.html
I think audiosanctuary are pricing that replacement battery service almost 'at cost', so the price of the certified replacement battery is only slightly cheaper.

Google 'chord mojo replacement battery' and plenty of links/videos are listed.
Beware the 'service centres' that try and charge an extra $250 just to fit the battery (which takes just 5 minutes).

Email support@chordelectronics.co.uk for advice, because Chord has been able to ship batteries to specific dealers in the past.

Thanks a lot for the good info! I have to decide whether it's worth spending 77 GBP + shipping or to sell the Mojo noting the dead battery. I'm not sure what will make financial sense. I can also check with my local shop to see how much the battery costs alone.

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #40,509 of 42,785
Thanks a lot for the good info! I have to decide whether it's worth spending 77 GBP + shipping or to sell the Mojo noting the dead battery. I'm not sure what will make financial sense. I can also check with my local shop to see how much the battery costs alone.

Out of curiosity, may I ask what has prompted you to sell it? It sounds like you are still travelling. Did you find a better portable unit?

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #40,510 of 42,785
Out of curiosity, may I ask what has prompted you to sell it? It sounds like you are still travelling. Did you find a better portable unit?

Hello friend :)

I bought it around 4 years ago when I thought I would use it on planes since I fly a fair bit. Turns out I was happier with a DAP and an Aune B1S combo than my phone and the Mojo. So I used it stationary as a desktop DAC. I really don't like battery operated devices and I have desktop DACs and no more portable gear except for my travel rig. So it's time to go. Fantastic little unit but neither fish nor fowl. It is not a DAP unless you buy the Poly to go with it and that combo is still a bit quirky. It is not a DACAMP since it doesn't have analog in (unlike the Aune B1S). I just don't have the right use case for it.

Aug 30, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #40,511 of 42,785
Need help
Trying to connect N3 with chord mojo with usbc coax cable
When playing a song on N3, Getting very high levels of output from headphones connected to mojo. Such a high sound output can surely destroy headphones as well as eardrums. Is something need to be done within the N3 settings?

Aug 30, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #40,512 of 42,785
Need help
Trying to connect N3 with chord mojo with usbc coax cable
When playing a song on N3, Getting very high levels of output from headphones connected to mojo. Such a high sound output can surely destroy headphones as well as eardrums. Is something need to be done within the N3 settings?
If it's too loud, why not turn down the volume?
If you wanted to you could probably destroy your headphones and your hearing.

Aug 30, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #40,513 of 42,785
I have the xDuoo X10T II, and tested the stock coaxial, and a silver coaxial (better than stock by a big margin), and Glass fiber Toslink. The Toslink was superior to both the stock coax, and the silver coax. I am certain whatever Chord product is in my future, Silver Coax or Glass Fiber optical will be my choice. I have a poly also, and the XDuoo is far superior in SQ.

I have it too and I think it is great add-on, not only to Mojo BTW. Funny you mention Poly as I've just asked a question about it in Poly thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-1034#post-15832071 since I think about getting rid of cable connections when traveling. Still if xDuoo X10T II give superior SQ in comparison to Poly from sd card or when streaming I will stick with xDuoo, especially considering Poly pricing.

Aug 30, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #40,514 of 42,785

It really does just sound so good with Mojo. After having this thing for so long and going back and forth every so often, I think that the best sounding interface is going to be the one for which you have the nicest cable. I have a silver USB cable and it trounces the coaxial and optical with stock cables... so my advice to future listeners who use this combo, go with the one you've already got a decent cable for, or just pick one at random and get a decent cable. It will sound great either way. My xDuoo's USB port is a little unreliable unfortunately, so I'll probably put a silver coax cable together soon since I like the way short coax cables stack better than optical.

I may soon be getting a job that would have me traveling about half the time (weird timing, right?), so I will likely need something more TOTL on the go like N6, Kann Cube, WM1Z, used Hugo, not entirely sure what exactly... or what the budget will be... but xDuoo+Mojo will be a tough combo to beat.

Aug 31, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #40,515 of 42,785
I have been listening on a Behringer audio interface into my ministack stereo while I start to phase out the Mojo. I'm already hurtin'

The Mojo is such a wonderful little DAC. Cymbals glisten, all the details are there. From the Behringer there is a layer of dullness, all the life is gone from the music. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back