Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 19, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #38,566 of 42,765
Good to hear you are a happy Mojo owner again :)
Out of curiosity, what IEM are you using with it? I am very happy with my modded JVC FD02 but always curious about relatively inexpensive other ones, especially if someone like you likes them :)
I chose the Etymotic ER3XR. I tried a few others around £200, but all of them sound too coloured with exaggerated mid-bass and other compromises too, like limited resolution. These Ety's punch way above their price putting to shame other IEMs that cost 2-3 times more. Insertion is a bit fiddly, but I am fine with it. These also offer the best passive noise isolation that IEMs can.
The sound is well balanced, surprisingly spacious and detailed. Out of Mojo they also step up a level.
Soon I will try them with a 23Ohm resistor which supposedly lifts them to the level of the ER4XR, however apparently the gap is already very small between the two models. (I think the JVC would be way too mid-bassy for me.) I was a bit worried about Ety 'brightness', but it is not that bright at all, just clear. At least the ER3XR.

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #38,568 of 42,765
It's easy to forget how good the Mojo is sometimes. Hugo 2 on charge, and I put Mojo on desktop duty. Donna Summer: I Feel Love The Collection - good stuff.

I still prefer Hugo2, but Mojo punches well above its weight.

Indeed, Im very much looking forward to Mojo 2 to set a new benchmark even though my plan is to purchase a Hugo TT2 this year.

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #38,569 of 42,765
Indeed, Im very much looking forward to Mojo 2 to set a new benchmark even though my plan is to purchase a Hugo TT2 this year.

I was hoping that it didn't seem like I was Hugo 2 bragging. I remember when I bought the Hugo 2, and recall some of the impressions I had of it over the Mojo.

I remember saying it had so much grip on sound.
It was better in ways that I had not imagined.
Clearer, cleaner, and smoother.
Some sounds that I knew in music with the Mojo, had extra parts tacked on with Hugo 2.

However the Mojo just gets so much right. It's a solid detailed listen, that takes your breath away, when you're not expecting it.

I really think Chord should have developed a Mojo TT, for those that want a desktop DAC. A charger powered Mojo that has a headphone port, instead of just leaving folk to buy the Qutest + headphone amp. I imagine Chord would let themselves loose, on making a Mojo TT, outperform a Mojo too. The result would be stunning. If you're OK with battery of course Mojo is good for desktop anyway.

Anyway don't mind me, I am just waffling.

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #38,570 of 42,765
I was hoping that it didn't seem like I was Hugo 2 bragging. I remember when I bought the Hugo 2, and recall some of the impressions I had of it over the Mojo.

I remember saying it had so much grip on sound.
It was better in ways that I had not imagined.
Clearer, cleaner, and smoother.
Some sounds that I knew in music with the Mojo, had extra parts tacked on with Hugo 2.

However the Mojo just gets so much right. It's a solid detailed listen, that takes your breath away, when you're not expecting it.

I really think Chord should have developed a Mojo TT, for those that want a desktop DAC. A charger powered Mojo that has a headphone port, instead of just leaving folk to buy the Qutest + headphone amp. I imagine Chord would let themselves loose, on making a Mojo TT, outperform a Mojo too. The result would be stunning. If you're OK with battery of course Mojo is good for desktop anyway.

Anyway don't mind me, I am just waffling.

I have said this for a long time, there is a large gap between the price of Mojo and Hugo2 so a MojoTT would fit perfectly around £700-800 and could be sold next to regular Mojo still. That said i think the gap is likely to remain as Mojo2 would make the replacment instead.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #38,571 of 42,765
I have said this for a long time, there is a large gap between the price of Mojo and Hugo2 so a MojoTT would fit perfectly around £700-800 and could be sold next to regular Mojo still. That said i think the gap is likely to remain as Mojo2 would make the replacment instead.

Isn’t Qutest basically the Mojo TT? I think it”s priced a bit too high, but 200 pounds less and it would be right about there.

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #38,572 of 42,765
Isn’t Qutest basically the Mojo TT? I think it”s priced a bit too high, but 200 pounds less and it would be right about there.

I see Qutest as something that is being used more in 2 channel speaker systems but Mojo TT with a headphone out would be a "headfi product". When you factor in the cost of qutest and good headphone amplifier its gonna be near the price of Hugo 2 anyway and id rather not have the extra amp.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #38,573 of 42,765

Nope. Qutest is basically a Hugo2 (same family) but with the analogue output closer to Mojo’s design. More TAPs, more Pulse Array, WTA filter choices, etc..

This post has the presentation clarifying the differences with the Qutest and Hugo2:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...c-official-thread.869417/page-3#post-13966180

Regarding the Qutest output stage and Mojo:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...c-official-thread.869417/page-4#post-13966636

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...-official-thread.869417/page-68#post-14120495

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #38,574 of 42,765
I see Qutest as something that is being used more in 2 channel speaker systems but Mojo TT with a headphone out would be a "headfi product". When you factor in the cost of qutest and good headphone amplifier its gonna be near the price of Hugo 2 anyway and id rather not have the extra amp.

Yeah, I see that, no headphone out, which would be required for a Mojo TT.

Regarding Relic’s post above, I think the current TT2 has set the standard that the TT version of products is more powerful and has better filters/taps than the non-TT version.

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #38,575 of 42,765

Regarding Relic’s post above, I think the current TT2 has set the standard that the TT version of products is more powerful and has better filters/taps than the non-TT version.

I would say that’s a fair assessment regarding the TT family.

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #38,576 of 42,765

I Still think theres a place for Mojo TT even if its not wildly upgraded like TT2 compared to Hugo2, same number of taps, 4e pulse array etc, but slightly higher power output with supercaps and running from wall instead of rechargeable batteries. Many people really love the sound of Mojo but would just prefer a more friendly always on desktop solution.

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #38,577 of 42,765
I Still think theres a place for Mojo TT even if its not wildly upgraded like TT2 compared to Hugo2, same number of taps, 4e pulse array etc, but slightly higher power output with supercaps and running from wall instead of rechargeable batteries. Many people really love the sound of Mojo but would just prefer a more friendly always on desktop solution.

I'd like to see also RCA output on Mojo TT (as well as headphone port), just to be sure.

Apr 21, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #38,580 of 42,765
I agree a desktop version of Mojo around £6-800 has been missing from the Chord product line. So many people use Mojo as a desktop amp/dac and it is not ideal.

Regarding Qutest it is an another world compared to Mojo. The sonic improvement between Mojo and Qutest is pretty much as big as it is between Qutest and TT2.

I would have loved a Mojo TT in the last 2-3 years but now I have surpassed that level with my Qutest and the soon arriving Taurus MKII. A desktop Mojo still would be nice, I think Chord could sell a lot of them.

I am really curious to see the new products, but I have got serious doubts there will be a Mojo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back