Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 18, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #38,551 of 42,765
Yes I know about the filtering my question was in the light that a human ear cannot hear above 20KHz (even in most teenagers) then where is the proof that you can hear artifacts when a filter cuts off above 22KHz?
True and proves the point really, there are no audio merits. The inconvenient facts that say this are falling on deaf ears I think so as you said, time to move on and enjoy the Mojo.
Wrong thread! You may want to discuss your point in the Sound Science forum – with lots of like-minded people. Or go to the «Watts up...?» blog (maybe there's more to learn there...).

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #38,555 of 42,765
On more practical Mojo side, did you notice less warming of the Mojo when connected by coaxial cable rather than USB? I compare USB connection to Shanling M0 and coaxial connection to FiiO X5ii and X3ii, all players used as transport.

I read somewhere that coaxial connection is considered as more reliable than USB and I did not notice any clicks when tracks changed.

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #38,556 of 42,765
On more practical Mojo side, did you notice less warming of the Mojo when connected by coaxial cable rather than USB? I compare USB connection to Shanling M0 and coaxial connection to FiiO X5ii and X3ii, all players used as transport.

I read somewhere that coaxial connection is considered as more reliable than USB and I did not notice any clicks when tracks changed.

When I use the optical input I notice this too, I don't use coax very often or at all really.

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #38,557 of 42,765
When I use the optical input I notice this too, I don't use coax very often or at all really.

Thank you very much, than it is not just my imagination:). With USB connection it becomes really hot with time passing by even on CD resolutions, here even on 24/96 it stays cool. I would understand it better with optical connection when there is total galvanic isolation. Perhaps someone knows what is going on.

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #38,558 of 42,765
Thank you very much, than it is not just my imagination:). With USB connection it becomes really hot with time passing by even on CD resolutions, here even on 24/96 it stays cool. I would understand it better with optical connection when there is total galvanic isolation. Perhaps someone knows what is going on.
The high temperature is usually related to charging the battery:
  • listening to mojo - runs cool
  • listening to mojo + trickle charging a near full battery - runs cool
  • listening to mojo + charging a near flat battery - runs warm or hot
In each case the ambient temperature also has an effect - ie in mid summer with a high ambient temperature, the mojo will run hotter than in mid winter with cool ambient temperatures.
Hope this helps.

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #38,560 of 42,765

I connect by usb and sometimes it gets hot and other times it doesn’t. I have no idea why.

Apr 18, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #38,561 of 42,765
The high temperature is usually related to charging the battery:
  • listening to mojo - runs cool
  • listening to mojo + trickle charging a near full battery - runs cool
  • listening to mojo + charging a near flat battery - runs warm or hot
In each case the ambient temperature also has an effect - ie in mid summer with a high ambient temperature, the mojo will run hotter than in mid winter with cool ambient temperatures.
Hope this helps.

True, there are 2500+ pages in this thread so I'm sure its been discussed before.

IMHO there is more to Mojo's power consumption, there is a Atmel ATSAM3U1CA-AU microcontroller inside, is this just for USB capability?

If feeding Mojo an Optical or Coax digital input is this required, I suspect not, so why not switch it off, so one less chip to power = less heat and longer battery life.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #38,562 of 42,765
True, there are 2500+ pages in this thread so I'm sure its been discussed before.

IMHO there is more to Mojo's power consumption, there is a Atmel ATSAM3U1CA-AU microcontroller inside, is this just for USB capability?

If feeding Mojo an Optical or Coax digital input is this required, I suspect not, so why not switch it off, so one less chip to power = less heat and longer battery life.
You are right that the heat generation has been discussed several times before, and explained by Rob.
By far the vast majority of the heat is generated by the FPGA plus the charging circuit - the microcontrollers generate a small amount of heat, and the usb input is switched off if the VBUS voltage is not present.

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #38,563 of 42,765
After a 10 month gap I am a Mojo owner once again. :)

Since I only use portable gear every other month for flights/train. I wanted to keep the budget as low as possible. First I thought I will be happy with one of the best noise cancelling headphones instead of Mojo. After a while I just couldn't bare the sound.

I was back to (relatively inexpensive) IEMs then as I need isolation. I am not into IEMs, this is just a solution for these occasional trips. With the IEMs I thought I get a small USB DAC as I didn't want to fully let the comfort of wireless ANC headphones go. I don't like stacking. So bulky.
The small USB DAC sounded surprisingly good, I liked my IEMs with this DAC more than the ANC headphones. The main problem here was the battery drainage of my phone and also the sound quality was still quite a compromise compared to what I am used to.

Next chapter was trying a budget DAP. By budget I mean around £250. Even though people were raving about the sound quality to me it was a big disappointment. Even the little USB dongle DAC sounded better for half the price. DAP returned.

I have realised my only option really is a bulkier solution. I was looking into the Q5, but then found a 2 month old pristine Mojo with warranty and a great, great price. I just couldn't say no. Even though this Mojo won't be used too much, the sound is such a relief. This is hi-fidelity sound on the go. Finally. It is so well worth the money. Yes, it will be a bit bulky, but manageable. Simply nothing comes close on the portable market at this price.

Apr 18, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #38,564 of 42,765
Excellent choice betula. Even with my hugo2/mscaler set up i could revert back to a mojo at any point in time if need be.

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #38,565 of 42,765
After a 10 month gap I am a Mojo owner once again. :)

Since I only use portable gear every other month for flights/train. I wanted to keep the budget as low as possible. First I thought I will be happy with one of the best noise cancelling headphones instead of Mojo. After a while I just couldn't bare the sound.

I was back to (relatively inexpensive) IEMs then as I need isolation. I am not into IEMs, this is just a solution for these occasional trips. With the IEMs I thought I get a small USB DAC as I didn't want to fully let the comfort of wireless ANC headphones go. I don't like stacking. So bulky.
The small USB DAC sounded surprisingly good, I liked my IEMs with this DAC more than the ANC headphones. The main problem here was the battery drainage of my phone and also the sound quality was still quite a compromise compared to what I am used to.

Next chapter was trying a budget DAP. By budget I mean around £250. Even though people were raving about the sound quality to me it was a big disappointment. Even the little USB dongle DAC sounded better for half the price. DAP returned.

I have realised my only option really is a bulkier solution. I was looking into the Q5, but then found a 2 month old pristine Mojo with warranty and a great, great price. I just couldn't say no. Even though this Mojo won't be used too much, the sound is such a relief. This is hi-fidelity sound on the go. Finally. It is so well worth the money. Yes, it will be a bit bulky, but manageable. Simply nothing comes close on the portable market at this price.
Good to hear you are a happy Mojo owner again :)
Out of curiosity, what IEM are you using with it? I am very happy with my modded JVC FD02 but always curious about relatively inexpensive other ones, especially if someone like you likes them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back