Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 17, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #38,521 of 42,765
Well, it‘s clear why they just CANNOT do MQA (not from the technical perspective).

If they do, and people would praise the sound quality, it would kill the major differentiator of the company - proprietary filtering.

Because for MQA, they cannot use their own filters, they have to do whatever MQA is telling to do - the same as competition does.

Imagine, what would happen when the people would start to rave about how wonderful Mojo sounds with MQA? This would mean, those sophisticated filters were doing nothing, and the answer for the nice sound of Mojo is not in the overdone filtering, but in the simplistic amplifier design...

If some people would start asking those technical questions with MQA support implemented, it would completely ruin the whole marketing strategy.

That‘s why there will be never any MQA support with Mojo or devices with similar technical design, this would be, as is the designer acknowledges that his invention is actually doing nothing....
MQA is a solution looking for a problem in my opinion. However I am not alone in thinking that MQA is not a good idea as people with much more technical knowledge than me say the same. Check out this link for example. https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/nl/248356/4f9618b6-4fc3-4807-8e8a-0d585b76593b/

Apr 17, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #38,522 of 42,765
MQA is a solution looking for a problem in my opinion. However I am not alone in thinking that MQA is not a good idea as people with much more technical knowledge than me say the same. Check out this link for example. https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/nl/248356/4f9618b6-4fc3-4807-8e8a-0d585b76593b/
Well, maybe for some people it is. However for me it is not. It‘s all about streaming. And for streaming, I‘m using a 32gb ipod touch. Cannot download many high-res albums into that. And with real high-res streaming (Qobuz), first, I‘m sometimes getting dropouts when moving around the house (used wifi bandwidth is pretty high and cannot be constantly maintained when moving between the rooms), and secondly the small battery of the ipod touch drains in no time, also because of the high data rate.

Here we are, I described a problem which tidal solves for me with MQA at no extra costs :)

Apr 17, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #38,523 of 42,765
MQA has a possible range of implementations, and I believe that e.g. with MQA-CDs they are really screwing it up.

However, with the current tidal‘s implementation, that is, most content 48kHz and 24bit resolution, first, it‘s better than redbook already because of the resolution (not all 8 additional bits are used to carry the lossy signal), and secondly, adding the lossy unfolded information would at least not harm the main redbook-like part, but would require a much simpler filters with close to none impact already due to a fact that the cut-off frequency is now at 48kHz (assuming only one step of unfold to 96Ksps has been required/performed) compared to 22kHz with redbook content. And I‘m not a bat, I can‘t hear much of a difference even if they do screw the filter at 48kHz, while I‘ll certainly hear the difference if they do it at 22kHz :) It‘s as simple as this, from the technical point of view...
And of course most of tidal music will have been taken from an original analogue master tape (2nd or third generation in a lot of cases) of which Red book Cd is more than capable of resolving if not out-resolving. The same applies to most so called Hi-Res music files which are only as good sound wise as the original analogue tape it was taken from. As for a true HiRes file, eg recorded, mixed and mastered digitally then 96/24 is all that is needed. Any higher like 192/24 for example is no advantage in terms of sound. A fully digitally recorded and mixed 96/24 file copied to red book CD will be indistinguishable from the 96/24 file and this has been tested and proved. See the link for some info from a music professional. https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/nl/248356/9dc0ef5d-b80e-499a-8014-b03d61dfdae5/

Apr 17, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #38,524 of 42,765
Well, maybe for some people it is. However for me it is not. It‘s all about streaming. And for streaming, I‘m using a 32gb ipod touch. Cannot download many high-res albums into that. And with real high-res streaming (Qobuz), first, I‘m sometimes getting dropouts when moving around the house (used wifi bandwidth is pretty high and cannot be constantly maintained when moving between the rooms), and secondly the small battery of the ipod touch drains in no time, also because of the high data rate.

Here we are, I described a problem which tidal solves for me with MQA at no extra costs :)
Yes I understand the problem with low bandwidth broadband and can see where MQA would help however I was responding to its sound quality claims. And of course broadband bandwidth will improve in time .

Apr 17, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #38,525 of 42,765
And of course most of tidal music will have been taken from an original analogue master tape (2nd or third generation in a lot of cases) of which Red book Cd is more than capable of resolving if not out-resolving. The same applies to most so called Hi-Res music files which are only as good sound wise as the original analogue tape it was taken from. As for a true HiRes file, eg recorded, mixed and mastered digitally then 96/24 is all that is needed. Any higher like 192/24 for example is no advantage in terms of sound. A fully digitally recorded and mixed 96/24 file copied to red book CD will be indistinguishable from the 96/24 file and this has been tested and proved. See the link for some info from a music professional. https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/nl/248356/9dc0ef5d-b80e-499a-8014-b03d61dfdae5/

I‘m not interested in what the most music on tidal is. What I know is that many MQA titles I‘m listening to (not very old classical records, pretty recent vocal jazz records) are for sure not taken from old analog tapes :) With this kind of reasoning, there is no point in hi-res altogether...

And for sure technically those records in MQA are better than just redbook. It‘s not only because of the resolution. To a large part it is due to a filtering issues, as with those MQA encoded records the cut-off frequency moves from 22kHz (where some audible artifacts can be perceived) to 48kHz, where possible artifacts would bother no one, but bats, e.g. I don't care about 3dB loss at 47kHz that might occur due to usage of a slow roll-off filter.... :)

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #38,526 of 42,765
I‘m not interested in what the most music on tidal is. What I know is that many MQA titles I‘m listening to (not very old classical records, pretty recent vocal jazz records) are for sure not taken from old analog tapes :) With this kind of reasoning, there is no point in hi-res altogether...

And for sure technically those records in MQA are better than just redbook. It‘s not only because of the resolution. To a large part it is due to a filtering issues, as with those MQA encoded records the cut-off frequency moves from 22kHz (where some audible artifacts can be perceived) to 48kHz, where possible artifacts would bother no one, but bats, e.g. I don't care about 3dB loss at 47kHz that might occur due to usage of a slow roll-off filter.... :)
It does feel like you had already decided MQA was the best music source for you, and are only interested in posters on this thread validating your decision.
I think your analysis of MQA is wrong, but it is your wallet, so enjoy yourself.

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #38,527 of 42,765
Yes you can in practice run Mojo battery less, but it's not a qualified mode of operation. It's a good way to keep playing music until you get your battery replaced by your dealer. Do not under any circumstances add external PSUs though, this is potentially dangerous.

@Rob Watts So I should only be powering this through USB only then? Currently, it works fine with a 7.5V power supply, but I was thinking of getting a decent linear power supply or an external lipo battery to power it. I use it primarily at my desk, so I don't really want to be replacing the battery every two years when they break...

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #38,528 of 42,765
It does feel like you had already decided MQA was the best music source for you, and are only interested in posters on this thread validating your decision.
I think your analysis of MQA is wrong, but it is your wallet, so enjoy yourself.

I didn‘t do any analysis of MQA and you are jumping to conclusions. MQA has many various issues, I would MUCH prefer an open standard based on a similar approach: uncompressed redbook content or higher (would prefer 48kHz) plus on top of that lossy compressed content to ‚unfold‘ to 96kHz. Without MQA‘s mumbo-jumbo. I found the claims they make, namely that MQA sounds better than true lossless hi-res, plain ridiculous.

However, indeed, when having a choice between a pure redbook vs 48/24 MQA, I would choose MQA, because it‘s offering everything redbook does, plus a bit on top of it... It remains a compromise though, only for streaming to keep the data rate lower. I don‘t see any other reason for MQA to exist, actually...

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #38,529 of 42,765
I didn‘t do any analysis of MQA and you are jumping to conclusions. MQA has many various issues, I would MUCH prefer an open standard based on a similar approach: uncompressed redbook content or higher (would prefer 48kHz) plus on top of that lossy compressed content to ‚unfold‘ to 96kHz. Without MQA‘s mumbo-jumbo. I found the claims they make, namely that MQA sounds better than true lossless hi-res, plain ridiculous.

However, indeed, when having a choice between a pure redbook vs 48/24 MQA, I would choose MQA, because it‘s offering everything redbook does, plus a bit on top of it... It remains a compromise though, only for streaming to keep the data rate lower. I don‘t see any other reason for MQA to exist, actually...
Sorry if I misread your posts, but I still shake my head that you believe that pure redbook is so inferior to the lossy 48/24 MQA.
Enjoy yourself.

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #38,530 of 42,765
Sorry if I misread your posts, but I still shake my head that you believe that pure redbook is so inferior to the lossy 48/24 MQA.
Enjoy yourself.

Who says redbook is soo inferior? But now we are again starting neverending fight whether hires does make any sense in audio at all or it‘s all imagination at work... Actually, I wouldn‘t even say redbook is so inferior to lossless hires. A little bit, yes, and you really need some TOTL headphones just in order to be able to hear the difference, and the rest of the chain needs to be adequate as well...

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #38,532 of 42,765
Agree. So back to Mojo: I want to stack it with my ipod touch. Are there some short lightning-to-usb-micro cables that can be used directly instead of using a CCT with a usb cable? Any recommendations for cables from amazon?

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #38,533 of 42,765
Agree. So back to Mojo: I want to stack it with my ipod touch. Are there some short lightning-to-usb-micro cables that can be used directly instead of using a CCT with a usb cable? Any recommendations for cables from amazon?
First port of call - check the FAQ in post #3, because there are some cable recommendations there.

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #38,535 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back