Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 9, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #38,491 of 42,765
@17Daggers, if the lights change colour from your previous volume setting while holding the buttons on power-up then it’s going in to line-level mode and there is no other preset besides 3V. Because the colours aren’t exactly the same as the manual states doesn’t mean that it’s not going in to line-level mode. Chord uses a mix of RGB LEDs and it may show slightly different from the expected colour stated in the manual.

Regarding your speakers distorting it’s likely that 3V is too ‘hot’ for their input as most amps expect a 2V input, which it seems you’ve already guessed. To get close to 2V set the Mojo in line-level mode and then click the volume minus button 4 times. This will get you to 1.9V which should be ok for your powered speakers. The line-level mode is nothing more than a volume preset that’s forgotten with a power cycle so don’t worry about losing any quality by doing this. ALSO, PLEASE REMEMBER that this setting will remain in your next power cycle, unlike the line-level setting, so please use caution if you connect headphones/IEMs with the volume at this level.

Apr 10, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #38,493 of 42,765
For those of you using the Mojo as a desktop DAC:

How do you handle the battery issue?

Do you just bite the bullet and leave it plugged in all the time (as I've heard some do and as a result kill the battery life)?
Do you always use it as a DAC without charging, and just make sure to get it charging as soon as your session is done?
Combination of both?
Have multiple Mojos?

I'm just kind of OCD by nature, and so far I have not used it as a DAC and charged it at the same time. But there have been times when the charge ran out, and I had to switch to MacBook's crappy built-in DAC. Considering getting a Dragonfly Red to help somewhat alleviate the issue.

Thanks fellow Mojo parents! Stressful taking care of this little dude . . .

Apr 10, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #38,494 of 42,765

Do you just bite the bullet and leave it plugged in all the time (as I've heard some do and as a result kill the battery life)?
Do you always use it as a DAC without charging, and just make sure to get it charging as soon as your session is done?
Combination of both?
Have multiple Mojos?

I'm just kind of OCD by nature, and so far I have not used it as a DAC and charged it at the same time. But there have been times when the charge ran out, and I had to switch to MacBook's ****ty built-in DAC. Considering getting a Dragonfly Red to help somewhat alleviate the issue.

You can remove the battery completely and use Mojo as a desktop dad (plugged in). I tested this when I changed my battery a month or so ago. If you don’t need mobile, this is a good way to go. Otherwise, I’d use it on battery, not plugged in.

Apr 10, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #38,497 of 42,765

Combination of both?
Have multiple Mojos?

I'm just kind of OCD by nature, and so far I have not used it as a DAC and charged it at the same time. But there have been times when the charge ran out, and I had to switch to MacBook's ****ty built-in DAC. Considering getting a Dragonfly Red to help somewhat alleviate the issue.

You could leave it on charge over night every night and then you shouldnt have to worry about it being plugged in during the day when in use, unless you listen 9+ hours.

Apr 10, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #38,498 of 42,765
Okay this is interesting, I took the Jitterbug off my USB cable, and plugged the USB cable directly into my laptop, and left the Jitterbug in an unused USB port.

More bass has come back, and more lower midrange as wel!?!? This is truly fascinating, I thought an extra Jitterbug would make the sound even warmer, bassier.

While the sound is smoother/more controlled in the highs with 2 jitterbugs, with 1 sitting unused in a port and Mojo directly to my laptop, it's definitely bassier and warmer at the lower midrange.

Maybe it's the Black Dragons 21 AWG that doesn't go well with 2 jitterbugs. I tested out cheaper USB cables though, and they seemed to have the same problem.

Anyway, next listening session I'm gonna test it further like this.

Apr 11, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #38,499 of 42,765
Just in case: how do I charge and use it as a DAC at the same time? Don't intend to do this. But if I need to in a pinch, how does it work? When I have it plugged in for charging, it doesn't get recognized by my laptop. Do I need 2 microUSB-USB cords for this? Thanks.

Apr 11, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #38,500 of 42,765
Just in case: how do I charge and use it as a DAC at the same time? Don't intend to do this. But if I need to in a pinch, how does it work? When I have it plugged in for charging, it doesn't get recognized by my laptop. Do I need 2 microUSB-USB cords for this? Thanks.

Yes, two usb cables. One to charge and one for signal input. If you go this route, use sparingly and try to do it from a full charge for best battery life.

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #38,503 of 42,765
Well, it‘s clear why they just CANNOT do MQA (not from the technical perspective).

If they do, and people would praise the sound quality, it would kill the major differentiator of the company - proprietary filtering.

Because for MQA, they cannot use their own filters, they have to do whatever MQA is telling to do - the same as competition does.

Imagine, what would happen when the people would start to rave about how wonderful Mojo sounds with MQA? This would mean, those sophisticated filters were doing nothing, and the answer for the nice sound of Mojo is not in the overdone filtering, but in the simplistic amplifier design...

If some people would start asking those technical questions with MQA support implemented, it would completely ruin the whole marketing strategy.

That‘s why there will be never any MQA support with Mojo or devices with similar technical design, this would be, as is the designer acknowledges that his invention is actually doing nothing....

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #38,504 of 42,765
Well, it‘s clear why they just CANNOT do MQA (not from the technical perspective).

If they do, and people would praise the sound quality, it would kill the major differentiator of the company - proprietary filtering.

Because for MQA, they cannot use their own filters, they have to do whatever MQA is telling to do - the same as competition does.

Imagine, what would happen when the people would start to rave about how wonderful Mojo sounds with MQA? This would mean, those sophisticated filters were doing nothing, and the answer for the nice sound of Mojo is not in the overdone filtering, but in the simplistic amplifier design...

If some people would start asking those technical questions with MQA support implemented, it would completely ruin the whole marketing strategy.

That‘s why there will be never any MQA support with Mojo or devices with similar technical design, this would be, as is the designer acknowledges that his invention is actually doing nothing....
I presume that you are a fan of MQA.

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #38,505 of 42,765

its an assumption to think that if they design filters in Mojo as per MQA instruction it will sound good. It may not sound as good as it currently does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back