Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 1, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #38,282 of 42,765
I tested the Aeon Flow closed and found them a tad bright. I know I won't be popular saying it, but I recommend the Nightowl.

I actually can’t listen to the Nightowl’s (edit: I mean Nighthawks, haven’t heard the Nightowls) anymore. Even with the HM5 pads. So many way better headphones (distortion measurements aside).

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #38,284 of 42,765
It is very interesting that you raise that point about longer listening. It was the Sound Science forum which led me to blind testing. I was and remain sceptical of my ability to detect small differences in sound. There may well have been a defective part of the test equipment. Me! I felt right from the get go that the Mojo reveals itself over time. SS will have none of it. I still prefer listening to music through Mojo. Even since failing the blind test.

I did
I actually can’t listen to the Nightowl’s (edit: I mean Nighthawks, haven’t heard the Nightowls) anymore. Even with the HM5 pads. So many way better headphones (distortion measurements aside).

I have both the NightHawk and NightOwl. The Owl has a similar base character but more detailed bass and more treble energy.
They are both kind of unusual IMO, they sound a bit muffled and dark when coming from another phone, but when I dive into the sound and adjust to it it’s a really musical experience. I really like them still.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #38,285 of 42,765
Getting this soon. Does it come with any cables or batteries? If not, what do I need? Thanks!
You will need a cable to connect to your digital source, and a Phone charger with micro USB connector.
For the digital signal you have the choice between optical input, micro-USB and 3,5mm coax.
Depends on what you’ll use as source.
I am using the HiBy R3 with HiBy coax link, the iPhone/iPad with Meenova Lightning-micro USB cable, or the PC with a regular USB-micro USB cable.

Mojo is powered with a LiIon battery. Take care to not charge and use at the same time, it gets too hot.
Best practice with any LiIon battery is to keep it in the middle range if possible, so not always full and not always deplete completely. Helps to increase battery life. If you don’t use for a longer time, battery should be below 50% charge!
(I left my Cayni N3 with full battery for some months and next time I charged the battery died and expanded so much it popped open the housing)

Mar 3, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #38,286 of 42,765
Had the Mojo for about 2 weeks, predominately using it with my iphone. Any recommendations on a transport / player to pair with the mojo, looking for something that can do tidal offline and has 1 or 2 micro sd slots since I have a few hundred gigs of lossless music. Given the Mojo is doing all the work, hoping there are some decent options out there that don't break the bank.

Mar 4, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #38,287 of 42,765
I did

I have both the NightHawk and NightOwl. The Owl has a similar base character but more detailed bass and more treble energy.
They are both kind of unusual IMO, they sound a bit muffled and dark when coming from another phone, but when I dive into the sound and adjust to it it’s a really musical experience. I really like them still.
I think the reason they sound a bit muffled and dark when coming from another phone, is because of extremely little grain of the sound, which makes everything sound smooth as butter. Some interpret that as a veil and lack of sparkle, but it's not. The same as the HD 650, but apparantly the Nighthawks have even less grain, which makes that effect more noticable.

If the Nighthawks would have an adjustable headband, I would've gotten them.

Mar 4, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #38,288 of 42,765
Had the Mojo for about 2 weeks, predominately using it with my iphone. Any recommendations on a transport / player to pair with the mojo, looking for something that can do tidal offline and has 1 or 2 micro sd slots since I have a few hundred gigs of lossless music. Given the Mojo is doing all the work, hoping there are some decent options out there that don't break the bank.

Purely as a source with micro-SD slot and good Tidal access I think a cheap Android phone might be your best option.
For offline use and (some) online Tidal use I am using the Mojo with the HiBi R3 (I posted photos before, search for 3D print)- but the usability of the Tidal App is so much better on the phone/iPad,/PC that I use them more frequently with the Mojo for Tidal. Also there is some RF interference when the R3 is on Wifi...

Mar 4, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #38,289 of 42,765
I think the reason they sound a bit muffled and dark when coming from another phone, is because of extremely little grain of the sound, which makes everything sound smooth as butter. Some interpret that as a veil and lack of sparkle, but it's not. The same as the HD 650, but apparantly the Nighthawks have even less grain, which makes that effect more noticable.

That is a very interesting take on the NightHawks! I have been listening a lot with IEMs in the recent weeks and months, have to go back to listen to the Hawks and Owls a bit more again.

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #38,290 of 42,765
That is a very interesting take on the NightHawks! I have been listening a lot with IEMs in the recent weeks and months, have to go back to listen to the Hawks and Owls a bit more again.
Yes, even though I've not heard them, I suspect that's why there are so many conflicting opinions about them.

Some want that false gritty distortion, and interpret it as a lively response.

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #38,291 of 42,765

OT, but I don’t think that’s entirely it. I found changing pads to the HM5 leather pads helped a bit. Overall, out of Mojo, they presented everything like you were in the lobby of a music hall, as opposed to in the main room.

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #38,292 of 42,765
I agree the best bet would be an adroid phone, flight mode on, Usb audio player pro app with bit perfect mode enabled and a 400gb sd and your good to go. I have Hiby R3 and it’s good size match for something like mojo but the touch screen is a pain to use, small and sometimes unresponsive. I’d rather just use my iPhone with Hugo2 now if I needed to.

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #38,293 of 42,765
Thanks. Any recommendations for an android phone. I have been an iPhone user for years. Also need support for lossless Alac and flac?

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #38,294 of 42,765
Thanks. Any recommendations for an android phone. I have been an iPhone user for years. Also need support for lossless Alac and flac?

Anything around £150 should be quite good, take a look at something from Samsung which is very likely to have OTG support and accepts high capicity sd cards. Android has no problem playing almost every audio format but UAPP will take care of that for you anyway.

Mar 5, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #38,295 of 42,765
well i was planning to buy Poly for Mojo to use as Roon End point. However with the posts on high cost of battery replacement i don't think it makes sense to me to invest in an accessory for Mojo which is with me for past 3.5 years and is used on day to day basis as my DAC with few monthly breaks in between when i get too involved in other hobbies. Although I take care of Mojo like I make sure to not charge and play to keep device temperature minimal and I charge it after draining off battery but i feel battery has its own life and with care i can extend it but can't keep it going forever. With reports of $200 charge for battery replacement I am not sure what will i do with my Mojo once its battery is gone. May be use it as a desktop DAC connected with charger all the time. Does it have any effect on sound?so in case if i have to use Mojo as desktop DAC then instead of Polly I can invest in device like Digione Signature player based on Raspberry Pi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back