Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 3, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #37,921 of 42,765
Hi all. Sorry in advance if this has already been answered (in my defense, this is a loooong thread!) but was there ever a "proper" solution to the 1 second silence before playing tracks on Windows/PC with this DAC? I know you can insert silence at the beginning of tracks in apps like Foobar, but this messes up continuous playback in albums that are mixed, plus also affects general day-to-day OS usage. For me though, the big problem is when using it in music production apps like Ableton, which always messes up the start of loop points when starting audio.

It's enough of a deal breaker that if I can't find an actual solution to it, I may need to return it. Can this be fixed at driver level or something? I really love the sound this DAC produces, but I should have done my research more thoroughly before purchasing I think.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #37,922 of 42,765
I used 'insert silence to allow for hardware synchronisation' with the Mojo. I never heard any albums messed up, but I am not sure what situation you are explaining. What do you mean by albums that are mixed.

A possible solution may be to use optical input on the Mojo.

Lastly, you could try doing a search of this thread.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #37,923 of 42,765
I used 'insert silence to allow for hardware synchronisation' with the Mojo. I never heard any albums messed up, but I am not sure what situation you are explaining. What do you mean by albums that are mixed.

A possible solution may be to use optical input on the Mojo.

Lastly, you could try doing a search of this thread.

I did search the thread, hence how I found the add silence extension for FB2K. It's not a viable solution for me, sadly.

Mixed albums are exactly that: albums where the tracks are mixed and designed to be listened to continuously. Lots of ambient stuff and compilations/dj mixes use it, where the tracks are separate on the CD/digital but flow into each other at the start/end. The problem is, if I add 500ms to the start of every track, this will completely ruin the flow of a mixed album.

I really would like to know if it's possible at the hardware driver level to remove this 1 sec silence from the DAC though. I know about driver risks, but honestly, that has never been an issue with literally every other DAC/headphone amp I have used and seems such a weird thing to include in an other great DAC. Having the option to disable it would solve the one and only issue I have with it :frowning2:

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #37,924 of 42,765
I did search the thread, hence how I found the add silence extension for FB2K. It's not a viable solution for me, sadly.

Mixed albums are exactly that: albums where the tracks are mixed and designed to be listened to continuously. Lots of ambient stuff and compilations/dj mixes use it, where the tracks are separate on the CD/digital but flow into each other at the start/end. The problem is, if I add 500ms to the start of every track, this will completely ruin the flow of a mixed album.

I really would like to know if it's possible at the hardware driver level to remove this 1 sec silence from the DAC though. I know about driver risks, but honestly, that has never been an issue with literally every other DAC/headphone amp I have used and seems such a weird thing to include in an other great DAC. Having the option to disable it would solve the one and only issue I have with it :frowning2:

How about inserting a track containing silence as the first track of your playlist?

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #37,925 of 42,765
How about inserting a track containing silence as the first track of your playlist?

Heh, I mean that would work, but it's a pretty ridiculous solution to a problem that really shouldn't be there to begin with IMO! It also wouldn't help outside of FB2K, specifically in my DAW or general OS usage. Come to think of it, will this affect Discord voice chat too? If I'm talking to someone and the audio is cut off for the first second of every push-to-talk conversation because the DAC think it's changing sampling rate, it's going to be an even bigger issue.

I guess it's not really made to be a general desktop DAC, but it's pretty disheartening to have such an issue ruin an otherwise perfectly good DAC for general purpose. If it can't be fixed, I reckon I'll have no choice but to sell it :frowning2:

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #37,927 of 42,765
The problem is, if I add 500ms to the start of every track, this will completely ruin the flow of a mixed album.

You don't do this.

I said above.
I used 'insert silence to allow for hardware synchronisation' with the Mojo.

The half second mute that the Mojo makes is to allow for hardware sync. You insert silence as I said. .. Mojo does not hardware sync between tracks gapless playback. ... Otherwise no-one would have bought it.

Mojo only syncs sometimes on new tracks manually selected or sometimes at the start of new albums.

Secondly as I said, you can try optical, which I think does not do hardware sync. (Not sure though.)

Not sure about anyone else. However I am not going to try help you or reply again, if you won't try what I said.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #37,928 of 42,765
You don't do this.

I said above.

The half second mute that the Mojo makes is to allow for hardware sync. You insert silence as I said. .. Mojo does not hardware sync between tracks gapless playback. ... Otherwise no-one would have bought it.

Mojo only syncs sometimes on new tracks manually selected or sometimes at the start of new albums.

Secondly as I said, you can try optical, which I think does not do hardware sync. (Not sure though.)

Not sure about anyone else. However I am not going to try help you or reply again, if you won't try what I said.

I'm using the "affix silence" DSP in FB2K, with 500ms pre-silence and 0ms post-silence, as recommended earlier in this thread by the creator of this DAC. I'm saying that this solution doesn't work for continuous albums that are ripped as separate tracks. At the start of every track, there will always be 500ms silence with this plugin, which of course fixes the sync issue, but still interupts gapless playback. Unless you're talking about a different plugin?

Googling "insert silence to allow for hardware synchronisation" literally just sends me back to a single post you made in this thread, with no further explanation. Can you clarify further exactly what I need?

I'm using this solely as a computer DAC. Optical is not a possibility. It's USB or nothing (I mean, I still have an Essence Xonar STX installed, so technically I could run it from line-out to coax input, but that will also kind of miss the point of buying a Mojo really)

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #37,929 of 42,765
I don't know FB2K.

In Jriver, which I have, I insert (dropdown and chose) however much silence needed for hardware sync. It only happens when the DAC is syncing up with the music it is fed.

I don't know what 'affix silence' and the rest of that means. In Jriver I assume you set gapless playback, but that's on by default. Therefor the DAC only inserts silence when it needs. At the start of a new album, or when manually switching tracks. (Then only sometimes; not always.) The DAC does not sync when playing gapless consecutive tracks. Or when playing from one track to another even with a gap between tracks, as e.g. CDs mostly have. ......... I can't explain it any more. You're missing a setting somewhere though.

You can get a card for your computer, to utilise optical. Or your motherboard might have an optical out header.

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #37,930 of 42,765
I don't know FB2K.

In Jriver, which I have, I insert (dropdown and chose) however much silence needed for hardware sync. It only happens when the DAC is syncing up with the music it is fed.

I don't know what 'affix silence' and the rest of that means. In Jriver I assume you set gapless playback, but that's on by default. Therefor the DAC only inserts silence when it needs. At the start of a new album, or when manually switching tracks. (Then only sometimes; not always.) The DAC does not sync when playing gapless consecutive tracks. Or when playing from one track to another even with a gap between tracks, as e.g. CDs mostly have. ......... I can't explain it any more. You're missing a setting somewhere though.

You can get a card for your computer, to utilise optical. Or your motherboard might have an optical out header.

Cheers, I guess JRiver would work, but honestly, I just don't think it's worth the hassle setting up a new media player, especially since it won't fix the problem outside of it. Using Soundforge with 24bit flles earlier was a monumental pain in the backside, because every time I stopped the audio, it reset the sample rate and also does a strange clicking sound every time the audio was restarted (I guess that is when the sample rate changes).

I've just lost patience with the DAC and it's time for me to face the fact that it's simply not suitable for the purposes I need it for. Unless there is a true hardware solution, then it's time for me to sell it. A real shame, as outside this one red-line issue for me, the sound is fantastic. If anyone knows of comparably priced DACS/headphone amps that don't have this issue, I'd much appreciate your suggestions.

Jan 4, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #37,931 of 42,765
Cheers, I guess JRiver would work, but honestly, I just don't think it's worth the hassle setting up a new media player, especially since it won't fix the problem outside of it. Using Soundforge with 24bit flles earlier was a monumental pain in the backside, because every time I stopped the audio, it reset the sample rate and also does a strange clicking sound every time the audio was restarted (I guess that is when the sample rate changes).

I've just lost patience with the DAC and it's time for me to face the fact that it's simply not suitable for the purposes I need it for. Unless there is a true hardware solution, then it's time for me to sell it. A real shame, as outside this one red-line issue for me, the sound is fantastic. If anyone knows of comparably priced DACS/headphone amps that don't have this issue, I'd much appreciate your suggestions.

JRiver is a two minute set up. (Insert silence as said. Then, I think, set output to max resolution. Otherwise you get everything playing at 44.1KHz.) With JRiver you get a month's free trial, so it's worth it just to try.

I didn't go with Foobar because of that very same reason, it drove me mad trying to configure it.

If you like the DAC, then think about keeping it. There's always the same quick fix if you use something like UAPP on a phone as a source.

Jan 4, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #37,932 of 42,765

There are several posts on the issue in the FAQ in post #3. Do any of them help you?

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-third-post-for-updated-info/6810#post_12159983

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-third-post-for-updated-info/7245#post_12179712

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/7995#post_12207379

ALSO SEE:

Foobar:

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/11955#post_12372725

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/13125#post_12417607

(J-River general set-up, on MBP):

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/11685#post_12359925

and this may also be of interest

ALSO SEE (regardless of which playback software is used): www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/9780#post_12277215

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #37,933 of 42,765
Probably this was answered many times, but this thread is huge: i understand it is possible to connect smartphones with usb-c socket to mojo and use it as a dac.
But do you know, will it work with UAPP? Will the bitrate be in any way affected? Any other possible limitations?

Yes, it does. Get a USB-C to Micro-USB cable. UAPP supports BitPerfect. I use it with this setup on my Note 8 and it is flawless.

Jan 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #37,934 of 42,765
ok, thanks, how about Hugo? there are 2 micro usb inputs on it, i read somewhere that one of them is the normal DAC input for whole range of sample and bit rates and the other is for smartphones and tablets but is limited to cd quality. is this true? i think i should ask this on a hugo thread ... :)

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #37,935 of 42,765
ok, thanks, how about Hugo? there are 2 micro usb inputs on it, i read somewhere that one of them is the normal DAC input for whole range of sample and bit rates and the other is for smartphones and tablets but is limited to cd quality. is this true? i think i should ask this on a hugo thread ... :)

One port is for data in and the other is for charging/power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back