Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 8, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #37,951 of 42,765
Has anyone else had problems with the micro-USB sockets breaking on their Chord Mojo? I've used my mojo around a dozen times in total, stacked with my phone with a 90 degree angle OTG cable, and the micro-USB connector outer sleeve has now broken away - it is apparently just soldered to the circuit board and doesn't have any torsion relief or stabilisation with the outer frame from the looks of things, just the solder to resist any strain from the cable...
There have been isolated cases, but it normally takes a lot of force to lever the socket apart.
You basically have two options:
  • contact Chord support
  • open the case, and solder in a new socket.

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #37,952 of 42,765
There have been isolated cases, but it normally takes a lot of force to lever the socket apart.
You basically have two options:
  • contact Chord support
  • open the case, and solder in a new socket.

Hope it's an isolated case/faulty solder for my Mojo. I'm arranging replacement with another unit with the retailer as I only bought it in the summer.

I really enjoy the sound from my mojo, I'm just disappointed at the design of the micro-usb port and concerned it'll break again.

Why go to the trouble of cnc milling a thick outer aluminium shell and yet not design that thick shell to securely hold the micro-usb connector in place, especially for a mobile device designed to connect to your phone via otg micro-usb cables????

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6, an old phone with a CNCed aluminium case milled so the micro usb is securely held and supported. That socket has been used more than a thousand times and hasn't broken...

Jan 8, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #37,953 of 42,765
I found a hugo sold by someone, also a good as new mojo. I am not yet sure the price of hugo it's worth the difference. What do you think? 350 vs 800 euro.

The Mojo is a more modern device. While I haven’t heard Hugo 1, the Mojo was recently revealed to have 38k taps, more than H1’s 26k. Also, more portable with the same amount of power, plus the option of adding Poly. Not sure what about H1 would be more attractive, unless you prefer silver.

Jan 8, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #37,954 of 42,765
Has anyone else had problems with the micro-USB sockets breaking on their Chord Mojo? I've used my mojo around a dozen times in total, stacked with my phone with a 90 degree angle OTG cable, and the micro-USB connector outer sleeve has now broken away - it is apparently just soldered to the circuit board and doesn't have any torsion relief or stabilisation with the outer frame from the looks of things, just the solder to resist any strain from the cable...

I have the same problem. Stopped working a couple of days ago. Other inputs work so I'm sure it's just the usb that doesn't. PC/phone no longer recognizes the Mojo when I connect through USB. Now thinking if it's worth the cost to have it done professionally or just do it myself. From what I've read, it is pretty straightforward soldering but I don't know if I want to risk it.

Jan 8, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #37,955 of 42,765
I have the same problem. Stopped working a couple of days ago. Other inputs work so I'm sure it's just the usb that doesn't. PC/phone no longer recognizes the Mojo when I connect through USB. Now thinking if it's worth the cost to have it done professionally or just do it myself. From what I've read, it is pretty straightforward soldering but I don't know if I want to risk it.

When I get the replacement I might open it and see if the socket could be strengthened in a way that doesn't interfere with taking out the board/battery in future.

Jan 8, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #37,956 of 42,765
When I get the replacement I might open it and see if the socket could be strengthened in a way that doesn't interfere with taking out the board/battery in future.
Search this thread - there are photos of the mojo and the sockets. The sockets are soldered to the board at each socket corner, plus the central pad, so 5 locations in all.

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #37,957 of 42,765
The Mojo is a more modern device. While I haven’t heard Hugo 1, the Mojo was recently revealed to have 38k taps, more than H1’s 26k. Also, more portable with the same amount of power, plus the option of adding Poly. Not sure what about H1 would be more attractive, unless you prefer silver.
Right, thanks. mojo is still produced. Hugo is highly regarded. Decisions...decisions...

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #37,959 of 42,765
does anyone's mojo have a high pitched whirring sound during charging?

for some reason my mojo does after couple of weeks from purchase

sound only stops when i unplug it

no whirring noise when in USB mode

i only charge when device if powered off
From the FAQ in post #3.

1. Originally Posted by Rob Watts /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The noise is due to ripple voltage on the charger upsetting the inductors/capacitors within Mojo. If you use a clean quality PSU & a low resistance USB cable to the charger PSU the mechanical noise should be silent or insignificant.

Rob

The problem is a noisy USB VBUS power line, & this makes the inductors in Mojo vibrate. Also, some USB cables have high resistance, & this makes the problem worse - so using a different cable can make the mechanical noise go away. The PSU itself can make it better or worse. Don't worry about it if you hear the noise, Mojo is not faulty & will continue to be reliable.

Rob

is it normal to have the mojo make a hissing sound (ie the unit itself, audio output is fine) when plugged in to power? brand new unit but it makes this weird noise when its plugged in (both when off and on). the hissing dies down when i plug in the signal cable (unit still off), not sure if i should send my unit back.
It's normal - it is the charging regulator going into low power mode. Don't worry, there is nothing wrong.

Rob

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #37,960 of 42,765
I found a hugo sold by someone, also a good as new mojo. I am not yet sure the price of hugo it's worth the difference. What do you think? 350 vs 800 euro.
I would say it depends on your intended use. Portable, Mojo. Desktop, Hugo. Although the cost difference is significant, sometimes you you can sell yourself short only part investing what is needed to make you happy with your set up.

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #37,961 of 42,765
Hope it's an isolated case/faulty solder for my Mojo. I'm arranging replacement with another unit with the retailer as I only bought it in the summer.

I really enjoy the sound from my mojo, I'm just disappointed at the design of the micro-usb port and concerned it'll break again.

Why go to the trouble of cnc milling a thick outer aluminium shell and yet not design that thick shell to securely hold the micro-usb connector in place, especially for a mobile device designed to connect to your phone via otg micro-usb cables????

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6, an old phone with a CNCed aluminium case milled so the micro usb is securely held and supported. That socket has been used more than a thousand times and hasn't broken...
It's always seemed to me that micro usb is a pretty lame connector.

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #37,963 of 42,765
Jan 8, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #37,964 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back