Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 28, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #37,891 of 42,765
Dear friends,

I use Chord Mojo as desktop dac.
My system is Chord Mojo > Naim Nait 5i-2, Dali Ikon 1 MK2 speakers.
XzHWwbF.jpg

I know that Mojo has line level output (~3v volume setting). But should it sound the same or different when feeding external amplifier lets say at 1V (green or yellow colour or any else which is much lover than line level)? Maybe @Rob Watts or anyone else from Chord could explain or share their experience on this. Is line-level output volume level is best sounding when Mojo is used as dektop DAC.

Another question, do you think that listening at very low levels Mojo driving straight external speakers shoud sound better than through my for ex. Naim Nait 5i.?

Thank you very much

@Rob Watts

Mojo’s line level out, is that the same as just turning mojo’s volume up to the maximum or does enabling line level mode also give more voltage compared to maximum volume.

Can Mojo have it’s battery removed, say it was no longer charging good and an owner just wanted to remove the battery and plug mojo into a charger all the time and use it that way, would mojo work properly that way ? It’s just a hypothetical question. Cheers.

Dec 28, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #37,892 of 42,765
The line out is a bit of a misnomer; preset volume level to 3v is more accurate, albeit a bit of a mouthful.

Yes the battery can be removed, and it seems to work fine that way; although it's not a designed for configuration, nor is it tested in that mode, so there is a chance the battery less mode would not work with all Mojos.

Dec 28, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #37,893 of 42,765
Dear friends,

I use Chord Mojo as desktop dac.
My system is Chord Mojo > Naim Nait 5i-2, Dali Ikon 1 MK2 speakers.
XzHWwbF.jpg

I know that Mojo has line level output (~3v volume setting). But should it sound the same or different when feeding external amplifier lets say at 1V (green or yellow colour or any else which is much lover than line level)? Maybe @Rob Watts or anyone else from Chord could explain or share their experience on this. Is line-level output volume level is best sounding when Mojo is used as dektop DAC.

Another question, do you think that listening at very low levels Mojo driving straight external speakers shoud sound better than through my for ex. Naim Nait 5i.?

Thank you very much

The input impedance on the Naim is listed as 150mV, 20k Ohm, so if you knew what level out on Mojo that was, you could be assured of never clipping. But, you also may want to balance that with the volume control and how much room you have there.

Dec 29, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #37,897 of 42,765
How much kHz is the tone the Mojo makes when it recharges?

Mine is dead quiet charging with the iFi iUSB micro 3.0 unless I literally touch my ears and hear about 10-15 KHz hum. The high frequency hum goes away literally 1cm away from Mojo.

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #37,899 of 42,765
Is there a way to lock the keys so I could put mojo in my pocket? I tried searching for answer but came out empty handed. I'm about to throw this pos out of the window.
That's a rather inflammatory post if you expect a sympathetic hearing. It is probably a good idea to list all the reasons why you think the Mojo is a pos.

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #37,900 of 42,765
The line out is a bit of a misnomer; preset volume level to 3v is more accurate, albeit a bit of a mouthful.

Yes the battery can be removed, and it seems to work fine that way; although it's not a designed for configuration, nor is it tested in that mode, so there is a chance the battery less mode would not work with all Mojos.

Hey Rob, it’s not that I am thinking of doing it, I just remember that one of your specifications for hugo 2 was to make it work without a battery connected, I was just wondering if mojo was the same.

3 years later and I still pack mojo and now poly with me wherever I go, it’s like my tv remote but for outdoors, always in my hand.

Cheers Rob.

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #37,901 of 42,765
Fair enough. I have no complaints about mojo except for not being able to lock the buttons. It's a great sounding device and has significantly reduced the time I spent on my desktop setup.

However this key lock issue is driving me nuts. When I walk around the house I place mojo carefully in my front pocket so the buttons are out not touching anything. Of course I have to be very careful not to bend down fast or mojo will fall off. And of course I need a shirt that has a front pocket so this is not so convenient.

Eventually the amp will fall deeper in my pocket and power off, decrease volume or worst case scenario increase volume leading to a potential hearing damage. So for me mojo is TRANSportable at best.

Edit: If someone wondered how can I put a mojo in a pocket with buttons on the outside it is possible because of the adapter.IMG_20181230_123627.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #37,902 of 42,765
Fair enough. I have no complaints about mojo except for not being able to lock the buttons. It's a great sounding device and has significantly reduced the time I spent on my desktop setup.

However this key lock issue is driving me nuts. When I walk around the house I place mojo carefully in my front pocket so the buttons are out not touching anything. Of course I have to be very careful not to bend down fast or mojo will fall off. And of course I need a shirt that has a front pocket so this is not so convenient.

Eventually the amp will fall deeper in my pocket and power off, decrease volume or worst case scenario increase volume leading to a potential hearing damage. So for me mojo is TRANSportable at best.

Edit: If someone wondered how can I put a mojo in a pocket with buttons on the outside it is possible because of the adapter.
Thanks, that clarifies things for everyone.
Similarly I think my only frustration with the Mojo is how easy it is to accidently switch it on. Many times I have placed the Mojo fully charged, inside a leather bag, then placed that inside a large leather courier bag - but somehow something still manages to exert enough pressure on the balls, to switch the Mojo on and discharge the battery.
Even so, I would never dream of calling the Mojo a pos, because of just one source of frustration.

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #37,903 of 42,765
Even so, I would never dream of calling the Mojo a pos, because of just one source of frustration
now that my ears stopped ringing (once again) I'll admit it was a harsh choice of words. So I take it there is no way to lock the buttons? I'ts a shame if that is the case. I guess I will have to look for a replacement. I've had mojo for about six months now but this is just not going to work for me anymore.

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #37,904 of 42,765
now that my ears stopped ringing (once again) I'll admit it was a harsh choice of words. So I take it there is no way to lock the buttons? I'ts a shame if that is the case. I guess I will have to look for a replacement. I've had mojo for about six months now but this is just not going to work for me anymore.

I think some folk modded a cover for the Mojo, to prevent unwanted button pressing. Literally a piece of card or something strapped over to top of the Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back