Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 9, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #37,456 of 42,765
Kind of already feeling the withdrawal syndrome of not being able to listen to my Mojo. :frowning2:

This morning, the power button finally gave way and I had to open the unit up again to remove the broken pieces.
Decided to discard the remaining 2 volume buttons too, just to be safe, as I don't want to have to deal with the same thing all over again.

Now, patiently awaiting Chord to get back to me on the replacement buttons since last Friday.

It’s surprising to me that owners have had problems with the balls cracking. I’ve had no such issues, but then again, I baby my audio gear since I like to keep everything in mint condition.

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #37,457 of 42,765
It is not possible to put a gain figure as such, as the amp is a single I to V converter. So the pulse array output is a current output, which is converted to voltage via the amp's feedback resistor. The amp is a virtual ground input, arranged to have as low an input impedance as possible.

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your observations. A little off topic, but I wonder if the technology used in the M Scaler will lessen in cost over time so a scaler can be offered that matches the design/pricing of the Qutest.

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #37,458 of 42,765
It’s surprising to me that owners have had problems with the balls cracking. I’ve had no such issues, but then again, I baby my audio gear since I like to keep everything in mint condition.

I suspect mine might be a very rare case (possible defect?). In fact, the unit has never left the house and is in very good condition.

However, my wife blames it on my OCD and whichever electronic wipes I was using to wipe down the unit, that's causing the acrylic balls to degrade over time.

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #37,459 of 42,765
Hi Rob,

Thank you for your observations. A little off topic, but I wonder if the technology used in the M Scaler will lessen in cost over time so a scaler can be offered that matches the design/pricing of the Qutest.

I guess as FPGAs get more capable with lower power and lower cost then sure prices will come down. But - and this is a big but, the pace of FPGA development has declined. The current cost effective family was launched 6 years ago, and no replacement is in sight. So I am afraid it will be a longtime, perhaps several decades before it would be at qutest price points. The difficulty is state of the art silicon is getting more and more expensive - a 13 nm mask set is usd 150 million dollars, and several mask sets is typically used...

Oct 10, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #37,460 of 42,765
Battery removed - very quick and easy to do. Thanks for the advice gang.

So, I now have 2 x USB cables running to my computer - one for power, one for audio.

It seems to be powering the Mojo just fine, despite being a regular old USB port.

This is pretty cool to know - the Mojo is now basically just USB powered!

Is this safe? Seems to output just as much power just fine (currently using 600ohm headphones to test)

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #37,461 of 42,765
Battery removed - very quick and easy to do. Thanks for the advice gang.

So, I now have 2 x USB cables running to my computer - one for power, one for audio.

It seems to be powering the Mojo just fine, despite being a regular old USB port.

This is pretty cool to know - the Mojo is now basically just USB powered!

Is this safe? Seems to output just as much power just fine (currently using 600ohm headphones to test)

According to Rob it should be fine. Didn't experience any big issues the few days I used it that way before replacing the battery, besides the unit powering down itself once.

Could be due to heat protection setting in, as I used it for 10 – 11 hours straight, in 31 degrees celcius equatorial temperature.

Oct 10, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #37,462 of 42,765
What about the Atlas in comparison?

To my ears the Andromeda doesn't lack treble sparkle (at all), it's just that the broad 6½ dB hump at 125 Hz clouds it. I for one never rely on the factory settings of IEMs and headphones, and here the correction is easy.

10168488.jpg
Any thoughts on improving se846 with mojo/poly - how would you tweak sq (without replacing filters?)

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #37,463 of 42,765
FiiO X5 II, Mojo and SE846.JPG

Any thoughts on improving se846 with mojo/poly - how would you tweak sq (without replacing filters?)
Not sure if you are addressing the empty filter tube mod that I posted earlier. If so, I'd have to try the white filter again and find a matching EQ curve. If not, the following steps are essential in my book:

Replace the original cable with an ALO Litz cable.
Use an empty filter tube instead of the default ones. Pushing out the foam piece and the filter is easy and reversible if you take care. I used the black tube.
The following equalizer setting on the FiiO X5 II for the SE846 specifically for the Mojo sounds fabulous:

X5 II EQ Setting for SE846 with Mojo.JPG

If you have a FiiO player and need numbers (from 31 Hz to 16 kHz):

0.....–1.4.....–1.....–1.....–1.....–2.....–3.8.....–4.8.....–1.....–0.8

Oct 11, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #37,464 of 42,765

I took measurements for the SE846 from innerfidelity.com and created a correction filter to linearize the frequency response. Then I applied these filter values with an EQ and tweaked it a bit to my preferences. It's a big improvement in SQ! I think when you use an EQ like this it will make a much bigger difference then almost anything else. I'm not sure if it's possible to use an EQ with Poly though.

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #37,466 of 42,765
Someone here use as transport xDuoo X10t for the Mojo? I’m very tempted to buy it , the specifications are great.
The downside of the X10t it doesn’t do gapless playback.

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #37,467 of 42,765
So, this little device just keeps on giving.

I've had it for a few years, and it was very regularly used when I was into portable setups.

Now that I'm a daily "desktop Head-fi" user, it's been sitting on the shelf mostly.

However, removing the battery has breathed new life into Mojo - I now have a Chord desktop DAC that I can use with my fullsize/desktop gear!

Awesome. Mojo is back in the game!

Oct 14, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #37,468 of 42,765
Mojo users i need help. What is the official situation concerning ios 12 and dac connectivity? I'm considering buying an ipad pro to use with my mscaler but i am very hesitant. If it works with mojo it will work with chord mscaler.

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #37,469 of 42,765
Having owned a Mojo for three years, I finally bought a portable file source. I agonised for ages over whether to finally submit and buy a smartphone. Or buy a DAP.

I bought the Sony ZX300 for £460. I know I could have bough the A&K 70 MkII, or the new A&K A&norma, for not too much more. However the ZX300 has excellent battery life.

My Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable for Hi-Res Audio Output, arrived today.

It was literally plug and play. Attach the cables and press play on the DAP.

DSC05674.JPG

Although I will most likely use the DAP only as a DAP for walkabout. Then pair it sometimes with Mojo (Hugo 2) just sometimes, when at home.

(I bought it here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-WMC-NWH10-USB-Conversion-Cable-for-Hi-Res-Audio-Output-NEW-from-Japan-F-S/163267940484?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649)

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #37,470 of 42,765
question: for those who don't use the mojo everyday: do you still power it up to a full charge?
or is it best to just let it drain naturally and then charge full power before you're about to use it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back