Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #37,471 of 42,765
question: for those who don't use the mojo everyday: do you still power it up to a full charge?
or is it best to just let it drain naturally and then charge full power before you're about to use it?

For maximum battery life, use Lipo battery storage guidelines, so if storing the Mojo for a period longer than a few days/weeks try to charge or discharge it to around 50% battery capacity.

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #37,473 of 42,765
Anyone using shanling M0 as a mojo source ?
I am getting cracking noises when skipping songs and would like to know if this is normal with this setup .
best regards
Markus
I believe this is only during manually skipping tracks. This is not an issue isolated to M0. I have the same issue with AK120II->Hugo also.
Not sure, if it's because of the SD card's memory controller or the DAPs CPU throttling causing the noise.

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #37,474 of 42,765
How many people use a Poly with their Mojo? I'm wondering if they're worth the money. Currently I use a Chromecast Audio.

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #37,475 of 42,765
How many people use a Poly with their Mojo? I'm wondering if they're worth the money. Currently I use a Chromecast Audio.

A lot. Poly thread is pretty active.

Whether they’re worth the money is questionable. Sounds very good in my opinion. Whether they’re worth the hassle really depends on whether little eccentricities/quirks bother you or not.

The smartphone app does help.

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #37,476 of 42,765
A recent post on the Poly thread asked about the Poly and value for money.
As might be expected, there were several differing views:
  • some posters still regard the Poly as too expensive
  • I have spotted some posts praising the Chromecast Audio
  • the majority now seem to post that the mojopoly already sounds outstanding, and worth the money, now that the iOS app and Android app beta are available, and an owner is happy to use streaming or SD card playlists.
Things are expected to improve further, once the next updates to the Poly apps are released, hopefully enhancing the playback of SD card music.
Only you can decide if Mojopoly is worth the money for you. Are you able to demo a poly, or borrow one for a weekend from a friend?

Chord posted in December that they had shipped over 4000 Polys, but there has been no update on the numbers in the last 11 months.
There is a steady stream of new Poly owners on the Poly thread, so it feels like the number should now be well over 4000.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #37,477 of 42,765
The Poly is indeed pricey and is indeed worth the price.
I've been using it with Anroid phones & tablets for many months. I haven't experienced a dropped connection even once. However, I also have not used the new App. I connect to it using upnp android clients and it works beautifully, whether I play tracks from the SD card or stream them from my music server.
I do recall the initial configuration differed a bit from the instructions but not enough to where I couldn't figure it out.
I've also used a Chromecast with the Mojo but I did experience frequent drop-outs/disconnects with it.

Oct 16, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #37,479 of 42,765
In a vacuum, I can understanding the Poly. But with so many ultra-portable DAPs that can act as a source for the Mojo. I just can't see shelling out $700 for the Poly.
I used Mojo with my Hidizs AP60 DAP for 2 years with forza audio USB cables.
Needless to say that, i have tried so many USB cables (around 10), and every USB cable changes the sound.

But, now i can say that Mojo+Poly sounds better than any combination which i tested in last 2.5 years.

Oct 16, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #37,482 of 42,765
I used Mojo with my Hidizs AP60 DAP for 2 years with forza audio USB cables.
Needless to say that, i have tried so many USB cables (around 10), and every USB cable changes the sound.

But, now i can say that Mojo+Poly sounds better than any combination which i tested in last 2.5 years.

Does the Poly connect to the Mojo via the USB port?
Is a separate USB input provided, so that the combination can still function as a USB DAC?
And, you're saying a $700 dedicated device really does sound better than a $100 DAP?

Oct 16, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #37,483 of 42,765
Does the Poly connect to the Mojo via the USB port?
Is a separate USB input provided, so that the combination can still function as a USB DAC?
And, you're saying a $700 dedicated device really does sound better than a $100 DAP?

Yes, Poly connects via USB.

No, when Poly is connected, there is no data usb port available for pass-through.

The only micro usb port on the Poly is for power, which requires a minimum of 2 amps to power both the Mojo and the Poly.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #37,484 of 42,765
As advanced as the Poly is, I can't see spending more for an accessory than the main unit costs. When it drops ~ $500 like about what the Mojo goes for, then Chord has a sale from me. $750 is just unreasonable.

Oct 16, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #37,485 of 42,765
As advanced as the Poly is, I can't see spending more for an accessory than the main unit costs. When it drops ~ $500 like about what the Mojo goes for, then Chord has a sale from me. $750 is just unreasonable.

Totally get that argument from a user value point of view. As I understand it, they outsourced both the software development and of course, they CM outsource the hardware (like most manufacturers). Given that, plus the margin they need to make, plus the complexity of a 10 layer board in such a tiny device, I can understand why the price is what it is.

Though, again, from a user value perspective, I'm not sure the value is there.

From my perspective, I would have preferred the Poly to have been designed only for:
- Blutooth
- SD Card
- data micro-usb for pass-through

The WiFi client capability, streaming client for dlna/roon/airlay, and the WiFi AP capability, is not something that holds a lot of value for me. The WiFi functions I use only because a pass-through data port is not available. If Chord didn't add these features to the Poly, I think it would have been considerably cheaper.

Having said that, for the Hugo 2, the 2Go having these features that I think are unnecessary for the Poly, will be a good thing. The main reason I think that is because the Mojo, to me, is a portable solution, and the SD Card is really all that's necessary, plus the data pass-through for any streaming music. But the Hugo 2 is a transportable unit, which is ideal for me to take to different parts of my home, not really outside. So, for the Hugo 2/2Go, WiFi in my home becomes a bigger motivation, and therefore WiFi client/AP and streaming client would be more valuable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back