Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 6, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #36,646 of 42,765
After reading the scribblings of iCeOL8TRAmnesia especially his piano comments it has become a horrible realisation to me that I will have to audition a mojo & hugo at some stage, the 'horrible' being the potential additional financial outlay. This is getting to be an expensive pastime
It’s also worth checking out all the positive reviews on the mojo, you will find that the negative ones are in a small minority. There will always be a percentage that will also go against a well reviewed product because that is their nature, or of course some could well be another manufacturer going under a different name to try and affect sales. Basing your decision on one or two reviewers that didn’t like it against the high number that do is not the correct way imho. Also with the negative review in mind you will go into a demo of it in the wrong mindset. The Mojo will drive 300 Ohm headphones and the amp is also plenty powerful enough, and of course the sound quality is great.

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #36,647 of 42,765
It’s also worth checking out all the positive reviews on the mojo, you will find that the negative ones are in a small minority. There will always be a percentage that will also go against a well reviewed product because that is their nature, or of course some could well be another manufacturer going under a different name to try and affect sales. Basing your decision on one or two reviewers that didn’t like it against the high number that do is not the correct way imho. Also with the negative review in mind you will go into a demo of it in the wrong mindset. The Mojo will drive 300 Ohm headphones and the amp is also plenty powerful enough, and of course the sound quality is great.

To be fair iCeOL8TRAmnesia's post is probably the most enthusiastic review I've ever read of any product, including the mojo, hence my piqued interest in auditioning a Chord :)

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #36,649 of 42,765
Hello, my first post here, will be happy for some help from Mojo owners who use the unit with power hungry Cans:
I own the Mojo and I like it a lot with my Isine20 and Hifiman HE400I.
I ordered the Argon Mk3 ( modded Fostex T50rp mk3). Are those cans to hard to drive by my little gem to their full potential?
Thank you in advance!

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #36,650 of 42,765
Hello, my first post here, will be happy for some help from Mojo owners who use the unit with power hungry Cans:
I ordered the Argon Mk3 ( modded Fostex T50rp mk3). Are those cans too hard to drive by my little gem to their full potential?
Thank you in advance!

Hopefully someone will answer your question (otherwise I might have to do another of my random gifs as a random consequence :ksc75smile: )

I have a second pair of HE400i (after the first one broke)

I am due delivery of the Fostex T60rp this week (with leather pads and headband as standard), have you considered it?

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #36,651 of 42,765
Hopefully someone will answer your question (otherwise I might have to do another of my random gifs as a random consequence :ksc75smile: )

I have a second pair of HE400i (after the first one broke)

I am due delivery of the Fostex T60rp this week (with leather pads and headband as standard), have you considered it?

Thank you Light - Man.

Hope you'll be luckier with your second pair.
And yes, the T60rp are very tempting, but I also read some rave reviews about the Argon MK3 from my favorite Youtubers. Life is short and there are to many headphones to consider :dt880smile:

Jun 7, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #36,652 of 42,765
I ordered the Argon Mk3 ( modded Fostex T50rp mk3). Are those cans to hard to drive by my little gem to their full potential?
Thank you in advance!

I am going to try to answer your question from a purely technical or analytical perspective. The idea of "power hungry Cans" and "full potential" have no real meaning to me because they are highly subjective depending on what you like and are used to. I do have the Audeze iSine 20's and like their sound with my Mojo. I also do not know and could not find if the tuning done to mod the Fostex T50P mk3 changes its input impedence and/or sensitivity or not since they do not list the specifications for the final headphones. So, with those limitations on my thoughts and calculations, here are the comparisions:
  • Audeze iSine 20 would take 18 clicks below the Mojo Line Out Preset to output 120db or typical Rock Concert level.
  • HiFiMan HE400I would take 2 clicks above the Mojo Line Out Preset to output 120db or typical Rock Concert level.
  • The Fostex T50RP Mk3 would take 5 clicks above the Mojo Line Out Preset to output 120db or typical Rock Concert level.
Assuming the Argon Mk3 have the same characteristics as the Fostex they came from, they should be about as hard to drive as your HiFiMan's. Hope this helps you.

Jun 7, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #36,653 of 42,765
Thanks a lot rbalcom!

The Mojo is driving my HE400I perfectly, even though I have to raise the volume by 4-5 clicks in comparation to the isine20 .
Anyway, I assume the modding doesn't change the impedence and sensitivity of the original T50RP, but I'm not positively sure about it.
Again, thank you for your help!
But I wonder if Nobody is actually using this combo here at Head-fi?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #36,655 of 42,765
I think 'authority' is a general perception which is a function of the music itself, volume level, headphones, extent and nature of our attention when listening, etc. IMO, it's fine to invoke the concept of authority to describe what we perceive, just as we use words like dynamic, energetic, clear, veiled, punchy, bright, distant, forward, etc. These words don't have precise meanings, but they help us communicate. And if an amp is truly underpowered, I can see that reducing the sense of 'authority' because dynamic range could be audibly compromised and audible distortion could be introduced. But if an amp has enough power, I don't see how another amp with more power could add authority.
Just got my hugo 2, and it’s playing my Hd800s with more ‘authority’ lol.
The sound is much fuller, but the volume isn’t so loud that it freaks my ears out whenever I take the earphones off or the music stops.
The mojo had enough power to play these headphones loud, but not as full sounding.
Obviously, there are several things at play, new dac, better dac, new experience. But there seems to be more to authority then just voltage/volume, I muse.

Does mojo and hugo2 output the same current ? I know nothing about electronics.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #36,656 of 42,765
Thank you in advance!
I am using both isine20 and hifimen 400 i with Mojopoly without any issues:)

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #36,657 of 42,765
The sound is much fuller, but the volume isn’t so loud that it freaks my ears out whenever I take the earphones off or the music stops.
The mojo had enough power to play these headphones loud, but not as full sounding.
Obviously, there are several things at play, new dac, better dac, new experience. But there seems to be more to authority then just voltage/volume, I muse.

I think a significant factor is also how much attention we pay, and where we direct our attention. And we may not be consciously aware that we're paying more attention.

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #36,658 of 42,765

Yes, 500mA max Current for both, and this is far more than the 300 Ohm HD800S will ever draw. Remember that impedance will effect more of the balance between Current and Voltage and the higher the impedance the less Current it will need.

For the HD800S (300 Ohm, 102dB SPL/V sensitivity) it’s 4.47V / 14.9mA / 66.6mW to reach 115dB SPL peaks (that’s very loud). 120dB peaks would be pushing the Voltage though. Current simply is not an issue.

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #36,659 of 42,765
I think a significant factor is also how much attention we pay, and where we direct our attention. And we may not be consciously aware that we're paying more attention.
I suppose if you eliminate the impossible - whatever else remains no matter how improbable!
But t I’d bet a kidney, that there is a real physical thing that is making those headphones sound more alive (and I imagine it’s more then just - a more accurate representation of the original sound waves).
Perhaps the hugo can drive the headphones quicker - or there are other substantive differences between Hugo and mojo that explain this - maybe rob can say)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #36,660 of 42,765
I've been interested in the Mojo for a while now after getting a chance to listen with one back in February, but the 1 year warranty and all the nightmares people are telling about their Mojo breaking just after the 1 year mark is terrifying (mostly battery issue).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back