Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 19, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #35,401 of 42,765
I believe the Mojo is indeed at 50k taps but only runs at half speed due to limitations of having such a compact design.

I am not sure what the Poly does, but its makes the Mojo sound better. Maybe the Poly allows the Mojo run at higher speeds? (But that is pure speculation on my part)

Feb 19, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #35,402 of 42,765
Feb 19, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #35,403 of 42,765
Feb 19, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #35,404 of 42,765
@GreenBow, well how to do you determine if something sounds ten times better? I don't think science is there yet, in fact I know science isn't there yet. That isn't to say that for you the Utopia isn't "ten times" better, that is a perfectly valid, albeit, non-scientific personal evaluation that cant be tested or refuted. I can only say that I am very happy for you that you feel that way about the Utopia, that is the point of this hobby to get that much joy so for you that was money well spent. I still feel that a well done less expensive headphone subjectively can provide a very high level of user satisfaction and beyond that, all of this is just opinion and not something we can test and compare as these experiences are unique, internal experiences beyond study and scrutiny. Even if we study a brain listening to music with an FMRI machine, we can observe activity, but that doesn't tell us how that activity is being experienced, we can simply notice that it occurs.

I don't have the Utopia. I was using the example to compare ten times the price.

However with the Hugo 2, you can't really imagine the improvement until you have got used to it. What I mean is being a Mojo owner I tried to imagine the Hugo 2, before I bought it. I tried to evaluate what I thought it could sound like, vs what it costs vs the Mojo. However the Hugo 2 was better in ways and to a level, that I had not imagined. Whether or not it's value is 4.5x the Mojo in sound quality, plus it's other features. That's for the individual to decide. Personally I think high end audio manufacturers are charging too much. As any company will do. (Yet having said that I don't dispute the £1800 that I paid for the Hugo 2. Whatever the market price set is, I think the Hugo 2 was worth it.)

I don't think we are going to agree though. I think you are guess-timating what equipment will be like, and evaluating it monetarily. I suggest you audition the Hugo 2 and listen for a good long time.

I think the Utopia will be mostly worth it, at £3,500 vs a £350 headphone. The experience, quality, surprises, etc will add up to money well spent. However when I say mostly worth it, I would hope for a flatter response headphone. The Utopia has the very same dip in frequency response around 7KHz as all headphones do. ... Therein lies my question. Products are not perfect, but maybe we are charged as if they are. Maybe though, if the Utopia had a perfectly flat response, then the price could easily be £5000. Basically because we would want the Utopia, no matter what.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #35,405 of 42,765
I don't think we are going to agree though. I think you are guess-timating what equipment will be like, and evaluating it monetarily. I suggest you audition the Hugo 2 and listen for a good long time.
I was part of the Hugo2 tour actually, so I did get a long time with it. That said, I wasn't talking about the Hugo2, I simply was speaking in general terms and only addressed the Utopia as you mentioned it specifically and it sounded like you owned it. My apology for the mistake. And despite having the Mojo here during my time with the Hugo2, I still have no sense of how one decides if component A is x times better sounding than component B. I just don't think that type of determination is possible. Now subjectively, sure, anybody can say and feel rightly that a piece of gear is way better sounding than something else. There is nothing wrong with holding such an opinion, I do it as well. I was just saying that it would be quantifiably impossible to show that for every x amount of dollars spent, these areas of sound reproduction increased in discrete, easy to measure ways that would allow us to say why headphone x is worth 10 times more than headphone B. I don't think there is anything controversial about that.

I also suspect that a perfectly neutral headphone would be perceived by some as boring so there really is no audio utopia (pun intended) as the experience with audio bliss that we strive for is different for each of us.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #35,406 of 42,765

John Franks (Mojo Ideas) confirmed that the Mojo has double the taps but runs at half the speed.

Quoting is a bit difficult on the iPhone, but you can look it up.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-1390#post-12769926

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #35,407 of 42,765
I think the Utopia will be mostly worth it, at £3,500 vs a £350 headphone. The experience, quality, surprises, etc will add up to money well spent. However when I say mostly worth it, I would hope for a flatter response headphone. The Utopia has the very same dip in frequency response around 7KHz as all headphones do. ... Therein lies my question. Products are not perfect, but maybe we are charged as if they are. Maybe though, if the Utopia had a perfectly flat response, then the price could easily be £5000. Basically because we would want the Utopia, no matter what.

8946637.jpg

According to Jude's graph, it's the opposite actually. That's actually where the greater treble energy is around. Personally, I like the mids to the upper mids, lower treble, but how much energy in the treble can be felt due to this rise. What's interesting with the Mojo is that it's slightly subdue'd in this region with sibilant recordings. I like the Mojo with my powered LSR305, and it performs quite well as a dedicated DAC. Something I notice is that bass response isn't as significant as other DACs I've tried. Hugo 2 is a bit warmer sounding I've noticed, and also more mids outputted as well. Mojo tend to put more clarity based on what I've been hearing.

Question I have is, how is the volume done on the Mojo? What is the difference between volume control on the operating system compared to directly from the Mojo itself?

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #35,408 of 42,765
I'm having a weird issue with foobar and asio with windows 10. Sometimes when I stop playing music the globe that indicates sample rate changes from redbook to another colour (orange I think) and ASIO fails to work brining up a foobar error box. I have to change foobar settings to WASAPI, play a track to get the globe to change to red and then go back to ASIO in settings.

Has anyone has this before?
I was part of the Hugo2 tour actually, so I did get a long time with it. That said, I wasn't talking about the Hugo2, I simply was speaking in general terms and only addressed the Utopia as you mentioned it specifically and it sounded like you owned it. My apology for the mistake. And despite having the Mojo here during my time with the Hugo2, I still have no sense of how one decides if component A is x times better sounding than component B. I just don't think that type of determination is possible. Now subjectively, sure, anybody can say and feel rightly that a piece of gear is way better sounding than something else. There is nothing wrong with holding such an opinion, I do it as well. I was just saying that it would be quantifiably impossible to show that for every x amount of dollars spent, these areas of sound reproduction increased in discrete, easy to measure ways that would allow us to say why headphone x is worth 10 times more than headphone B. I don't think there is anything controversial about that.

I also suspect that a perfectly neutral headphone would be perceived by some as boring so there really is no audio utopia (pun intended) as the experience with audio bliss that we strive for is different for each of us.

I also want to figure out why, so I tested some of the "good" headphones like hd800, lcd3, utopia, I trust my ear than any other reviewers.
In a simple word, it gives you the magical sound. The price is basically building upon the previous product from their company, also cross-talk with other same level headphones.
In my opinion, in this business, they scale the price very good, it used to be classified an under 1000 level, 1000-2000, anything beyond 2000, (some of the company want to grab the market so they may push their price a little.
But now it is much more like 500,1000,1500,2000,2400, and anything beyond 2400, I would say in the 500 range everything is fine, very musical, this range is the one which start separates the user from buying Beats to this entry level, so this level's product is actually quite good.500-1000 is a much better improvement, to this level.
But the real thing change beyond 1000, in the range below 1000, you listen to the "music", beyond 1000, you listen to the "headphone".
Everybody has their own scale of the product, the ratio of price and performance is the main concern for the custom. But I would say in the same company product, the bar is very obvious.
I have th900 and just received a pair of E-MU teak, I like E-MU teak, and online a lot of people says E-MU teak and THx00 is better than TH900, I don't know how they have the conclusion, but in my ear the difference is quite obvious, E-MU is a quite good headphone for 500. I promise it is a good headphone for 500, but if you want me to pay 1000, not even close. Th-900 even a lot of people say they don't like it or whatever, it still sounds like a flagship, it sounds like the best Fostex they ever made, same reason to utopia, they are the best headphone Focal ever made. I agree these headphones should lower the price, which can make more people can enjoy, but business is business.
That is the reason I prefer mojo cause in its price range I can't see anything perform this good in this small size if I really want to upgrade, the only thing that can go another level is HUGO2.
Anyway this is my opinion.

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #35,410 of 42,765
Is it technically possible today to fit Hugo 2's output stage (10 element pulse array and 1w into 8 ohms) and 256FS filter into Mojo's tiny chassis?

Probably not. We will have to wait a few years till those FPGA chips are available and then we have the Mojo 2 with hopefully the Hugo 2 sound.

The funny thing is, the Poly + Mojo is much closer to the Hugo 2 than without the Poly (Yes, the Hugo 2 is still better but the gap is closed).

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #35,411 of 42,765
Is it technically possible today to fit Hugo 2's output stage (10 element pulse array and 1w into 8 ohms) and 256FS filter into Mojo's tiny chassis?
No - power dissipation of 10 elements is an issue, similarly the 256FS filter. I would need to make power savings elsewhere to allow it.

Feb 19, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #35,412 of 42,765
I just bought a $6 cable to connect my old Denon CD player via coaxial to the Mojo. Very cool! It's nice that you can literally go out and buy a $100 used CD player, as long as it has coaxial output and a good laser/drive system, you can rediscover your CD collection at home. You don't need a computer, a phone, or a DAP to get really nice sound from this baby right on its own. Granted, perhaps you would be better off getting a $600 used CD player from a hi-fi shop, but that's beside the point. With the Mojo you can hook it up to anything, including a CD player lying around the house, and it produces great sound.

jdpark, can you provide a link to the coax cable? I am having a hard time finding one in the usual places (amazon, audio advisor, etc.)

Also, how is the sound? I saw a couple of posts recommending optical connection rather than coax.

--jp

Feb 19, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #35,413 of 42,765
Hi guys, I'm another delighted Mojo owner(but in my case I own as well a disproportional ignorance on the matter).If you could help me...I have in mind acquiring some speakers Monitor audio Bronze 2. Can I plug this speakers directly to chord mojo?(or do I need any separate amp?) Which cables do I need to do so?(any suggestion of a good ones?) Mojo+Bronze 2 will this be a good combination? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #35,414 of 42,765
Hi guys, I'm another delighted Mojo owner(but in my case I own as well a disproportional ignorance on the matter).If you could help me...I have in mind acquiring some speakers Monitor audio Bronze 2. Can I plug this speakers directly to chord mojo?(or do I need any separate amp?) Which cables do I need to do so?(any suggestion of a good ones?) Mojo+Bronze 2 will this be a good combination? Thanks in advance

At 90 dB, I think they will be a bit insensitive for Mojo, but if you are just experimenting, you can try it. If you want to make Mojo the basis of your speaker system, without an amp, you may want to audition something more efficient like the Klipsch (Reference Premier RP-160M) or Omega (Super 3i Montors), which are roughly in the same price range. There will be trade-offs though, like volume and bass.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #35,415 of 42,765
I also want to figure out why, so I tested some of the "good" headphones like hd800, lcd3, utopia, I trust my ear than any other reviewers.
In a simple word, it gives you the magical sound. The price is basically building upon the previous product from their company, also cross-talk with other same level headphones.
In my opinion, in this business, they scale the price very good, it used to be classified an under 1000 level, 1000-2000, anything beyond 2000, (some of the company want to grab the market so they may push their price a little.
But now it is much more like 500,1000,1500,2000,2400, and anything beyond 2400, I would say in the 500 range everything is fine, very musical, this range is the one which start separates the user from buying Beats to this entry level, so this level's product is actually quite good.500-1000 is a much better improvement, to this level.
But the real thing change beyond 1000, in the range below 1000, you listen to the "music", beyond 1000, you listen to the "headphone".
Everybody has their own scale of the product, the ratio of price and performance is the main concern for the custom. But I would say in the same company product, the bar is very obvious.
I have th900 and just received a pair of E-MU teak, I like E-MU teak, and online a lot of people says E-MU teak and THx00 is better than TH900, I don't know how they have the conclusion, but in my ear the difference is quite obvious, E-MU is a quite good headphone for 500. I promise it is a good headphone for 500, but if you want me to pay 1000, not even close. Th-900 even a lot of people say they don't like it or whatever, it still sounds like a flagship, it sounds like the best Fostex they ever made, same reason to utopia, they are the best headphone Focal ever made. I agree these headphones should lower the price, which can make more people can enjoy, but business is business.
That is the reason I prefer mojo cause in its price range I can't see anything perform this good in this small size if I really want to upgrade, the only thing that can go another level is HUGO2.
Anyway this is my opinion.

Another happy TH900 and Mojo owner here. Awesome sound and a wonderful pairing. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back