Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 21, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #35,431 of 42,765
If you prepared to spend £500 on speakers, don't overlook the Dynaudio Emit M10. (I have a pair on my desktop now, doing their job.) They are good at low volumes so good for desktop use. You might need a bit of space behind them so consider that. (I have managed to get almost 30cm behind them.) Also the new KEF Q350, but they say not so good at low volume.

Amplifiers in your price range would be the Onkyo A-9010, at approximately £200. (The Marantz PM6006 has an onboard DAC.) I imagine the Marantz probably outperforms the Onkyo on analogue amplification. However I am not sure, and the Onkyo is said to be very good for the price. However since you can pick the Marantz up for a bargain these days. The Marantz actually might be the one to buy.

Good luck with Mojo through your kit. I'd also recommend trying an AudioQuest Jitterbug. It tames the Mojo somewhat and makes the USB signature more like the optical. Threfore making it more pleasant with partnering kit.

I had the Mojo through the Dynaudio Emit M10 and the Rega Brio (2017). Uh-mazing.
A BIG thank you to all of you guys(5 Stars).Between all of the options you gave to me, I'm gonna give some thoughts and make up my mind.

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #35,433 of 42,765
Check out the Onkyo A-9010 + Q Acoustics 3020 pairing.

I checked , and I liked!
I saw a bundle Onkyo A9010+Acoustics 3020 = 319 pounds. Just the amp alone it's 229 ,I will end up spending 110 pounds in this speakers( sounds gorgeous to me !).Thanks for saving me money,it was what I was looking for, I didn't want to spent much money in the first place. It's for small room, I think it will serve me well.

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #35,434 of 42,765
Just bought the M20.

Exciting! More bass and scale, than the M10. (More volume too, because they are 4ohm, compared to 6ohm M10.)

I have the Hugo 2 now, but I loved the Mojo, Rega Brio, M10 combination. Before that I had the active speakers Q Acoustics BT3 on my desktop. Once I bought the speaker and amplifier combination, I felt I wasn't squinting with my ears any more.

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #35,435 of 42,765
I checked , and I liked!
I saw a bundle Onkyo A9010+Acoustics 3020 = 319 pounds. Just the amp alone it's 229 ,I will end up spending 110 pounds in this speakers( sounds gorgeous to me !).Thanks for saving me money,it was what I was looking for, I didn't want to spent much money in the first place. It's for small room, I think it will serve me well.

I think if you're going totally budget, that is absolutely the way to go. Remember to budget for speaker cable, to get the best from your kit. I use Chord Clearway, £10 meter. There are cheaper alternatives, but check reviews. Just google "best speaker cable" and at the least, you'll find the What Hifi list in order.

When I mentioned the Marantz PM6006, I meant the original one. They have released a PM6006 UK edition, but I have not seen reviews on that. I know however that the Marantz PM6006 UK edition CD player, won best award for CD player up £1000. Considering it costs £450, that's pretty cool. I bet a file source like a phone or a computer, with a Mojo would compete quite happily with it though. I think the Mojo would probably be better.

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #35,436 of 42,765
I have the Hugo 2 now, but I loved the Mojo, Rega Brio, M10 combination.

How many hours of burn in your M10?

What distance from behind wall?

Plug foams yes or not?

Feb 22, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #35,437 of 42,765
I have mine about 30cm from the rear 'wall'. They are on my desk, but my desk is in front of a window, meaning the window bay gives me space. The window is my wall. ..... I do not use foam plugs. I think the bass balance mix is fine; perfect.

However if I am very close up to the speakers, on my desk, there is a slight drop in bass. (That's something to do with physics of sound.) I just roll my chair back a bit if I need to, and the tone fills in again.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #35,438 of 42,765
Yes as a DAC alone the Mojo is quite competent. I happen to like the sonic signature of the Mojo very much. For amps you should be able to find quite a few solid options, certainly if you are willing to look used. I would also say look into the Polk Audio American HiFi line. I purchased the S20 I think and I am quite pleased with the performance to price. Not sure if Polk is expensive in the UK. What about Mordaunt Short speakers? have you looked into them? My friend had a set of their entry level bookshelf speakers, Carnival 1 I believe, and they were also surprisingly nice. I guess it depends on your listening goals, the room, do you want to do nearfield listening, that type of thing. I found supporting the S20s with a modest REL TZero sub in a small room and nearfield listening to work very well for my needs.

Is there any sub out there... Even more modest(like 200 pounds) than the REL TZero(350 pounds) sub? For what I read the Q Acoustics lacks bass,not having bass it's simple not an option...

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #35,439 of 42,765
Is there any sub out there... Even more modest(like 200 pounds) than the REL TZero(350 pounds) sub? For what I read the Q Acoustics lacks bass,not having bass it's simple not an option...
I'm visualising on ebay a lots of sub between 150 and 200 with 100W for a small room, I just don't know what it goes well with Acoustics 3020. I'm not expecting anything divine for this price. Just something that doesn't making me wonder... where is the bloody bass?

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #35,442 of 42,765
Absolutely I should had done that , I just realise that now

Thanks. If you'd like to save any of your above discussion, then please go ahead and do so, now, and then I can ask a mod to do a little house-cleaning.

No heavy-handedness intended, just trying to keep the thread on-topic for others
cheers beerchug EMOTICON.gif

All the best.

Feb 22, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #35,444 of 42,765
Deleted

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #35,445 of 42,765
What are the best Universal IEM pairings with Mojo in the 1k USD region? Please advice. I was thinking about Oriolus or Andromeda - two different signatures (bassy-warm-thick VS balanced-airy) - but Andromeda does not pair well with Mojo. I own IFi iEMatch, but I would prefer pairing, that does not require me to use it. Do you know of any other excelent pairings aside of Oriolus V2/Reborn, and could you write word or two about its sound character and why would you personally choose it over the other options out there? It will be my first IEM with such a price. I am also interested in CIEM recommendations with the same sound characteristics and same (1k) price tag.

I own one V sounding earphone (Echobox Finder X1), and I would like my next IEM to sound more balanced (not too V sound = not too recessed midrange). I also own modded HE-400i and I like its warm tone. It lacks the coherency and musical consistency of Hifiman Edition X V2's sound because it (HE-400i) tends to sound too analytical in direct comparison with Edition X V2 to me. I liked this effortless and consistent musical presentation of Edition X V2 very much. I do not mind listening to a warmer sound signature but too much of warmness in midrange is not a requirement. There should be some, I just do not know how much of it. It must not sound cold, dry or analytical (it should take my attention to the song itself, not to the separated instruments). I am probably looking for coherent musical presentation with certain body and very good tuning that makes sense to the ears of the listener. I like to listen mostly to acoustic music (Bela Fleck), hard rock (Queen, Stevie Wonder, Mike Oldfield), classical music (Beethoven piano sonatas and lots of various symphonies) and occasionaly pop, Metallica and even dance music. What IEM would you advice me to choose for Mojo? Thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back