Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 25, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #32,401 of 42,765
It is a standard way to monetize a technology.
Invent/patent a technology, and then charge customers for a licence to use the technology.

I understand this. I will be willing to pay more to UAPP to enable Tidal offline to my Oneplus 3 and able to connect it to Mojo.
Now the alternative is to spend around $400-600 for an Android DAP to get Tidal offline through USB or Coax.

May 25, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #32,402 of 42,765
It is a standard way to monetize a technology.
Invent/patent a technology, and then charge customers for a licence to use the technology.

It's a safeguard to avoid people circumventing the DRM so people just download a million tracks from Tidal through an external app, canceling their subscription, and essentially getting a ton of albums for ten bucks forever.

Of course, I'm having no problems playing Tidal straight into the Mojo out of a G6 so I'm not sure why y'all are using another app.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #32,403 of 42,765
I downloaded UAPP from the Play Store and paid for the license. So, then, has UAPP to pay more to Tidal as it is supposed FiiO has done to enable Tidal offline in its DAP line?

I understand this. I will be willing to pay more to UAPP to enable Tidal offline to my Oneplus 3 and able to connect it to Mojo.
Now the alternative is to spend around $400-600 for an Android DAP to get Tidal offline through USB or Coax.

extremesd, the company behind UAPP, has already tried multiple times to obtain a license from Tidal to store songs for offline use but Tidal has declined to grant them a license.

If you want to use the andorid interface then the Fiio X5 III is a good portable source component since Fiio has apparently written a custom usb driver for it; so no android upsampling.

IMO, there is a definite improvement to the sound when playing back local files in airplane mode versus streaming music with the radio antenna active. It sounds way smoother across the spectrum with more apparent depth then before, this is something I notice consistantly.

However, UAPP with an optimized android phone (All background processes and tabs closed, cellular off) sounds not too far behind. YMMV.

May 26, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #32,404 of 42,765
Hi I am hoping someone can help. I bought the correct cable to attach the mojo to my Sony phone. I just can't get it to work. I attached it all up played music on phone pressed mojo on. The 3 lights come on but the third one stops being coloured after a few seconds. What am I doing wrong?

May 26, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #32,405 of 42,765
Ignore that got it working. Wow the sound!

May 26, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #32,407 of 42,765
Ignore that got it working. Wow the sound!

Hey buddy, care to say what you did to make it work? :dt880smile:

For the life of me I can't get this thing to work with UAPP. Tidal native? No problem. UAPP keeps saying it doesn't recognize it.

May 26, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #32,410 of 42,765
Hey buddy, care to say what you did to make it work? :dt880smile:

For the life of me I can't get this thing to work with UAPP. Tidal native? No problem. UAPP keeps saying it doesn't recognize it.

Figured it out. UAPP is, somehow, even more finicky about cable than the mojo normally. Had to try different cables before it would play nice.

May 26, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #32,411 of 42,765
Anybody know what cable I should use to connect the mojo to my fiio x1 2nd gen?

May 26, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #32,412 of 42,765
Anybody know what cable I should use to connect the mojo to my fiio x1 2nd gen?
Welcome to this thread.
There is some information about connecting Fiio devices in post #3, but the x1 is not specifically mentioned.
Quite a few Mojo owners use Fiio transports, so hopefully someone will provide an answer.
Here are the signal paths for an appropriate Co-Axial cable to connect Fiio X3ii and X5ii DAPs to Mojos Co-Axial digital input:

(pin-out identities based upon these: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/14985#post_12467535 )

IMPORTANT: James (CEO of Fiio) has privately confirmed to me that the above diagram is definitely correct for X3ii, X5ii, and X7

Alternatively, if you wish to use a stereo TRS plug at the Mojo end (instead of the mono TS plug in the above picture, which is really all that is required), then the pin connections would be as follows:

(pin-out identities based upon this: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/18675#post_12651727)

Lately, I have been recommending a certain type of TRS Connector(or Plug) for the coaxial cable to connect a Fiio X3ii/X5ii/X7 to a Mojo, and it appears to be causing some confusion here. Hopefully this post will help clarify this confusion.

PLEASE NOTE: This post only applies to Fiio X3 2nd Gen, X5 2nd Gen and X7 devices. Before we get into the topic, here is a picture to understand what TS, TRS, TRRS Connectors are:

Source: http://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Fiio X3ii, X5ii and X7 devices use a single 3.5mm port that is shared for both Line-Out and Coaxial Digital-Out purposes. A regular coax cable will NOT work with these devices. You need a modified cable with 3.5mm TRRS Connector to work with these devices. The TRRS pins on this coaxial cable have to be configured as shown in the picture below:

Source: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40478

Now, the coax port on the Mojo is a simple, dedicated 3.5mm coax port. So all it needs is a 3.5mm TS Connector. So in order to connect a Fiio X3ii/X5ii/X7 to a Mojo, you need a coax cable with 3.5mm TRRS Connector on one end and, a 3.5mm TS Connector on the other. The TRRS end goes into the Fiio devices and the TS end goes into the Mojo.

EDITOR'S note: There are cable makers who sell this modified cable in both Straight Connectors and Right-Angle Connectors version, but it can be necessary to make a special-order. Dyson Audio used to make them, but this maker became unreliable, and is best avoided until further notice.

If you want a cable with Straight Connectors on both end, you can stop right here and can right away purchase it from one of these places:
Moon-Audio (US) / Custom-Cable (UK) / Uranus (Malaysia)

Now the PROBLEM arises, when you want this cable with Right-Angle Connectors. For some reason, the only Right-Angle version of TS Connector, that seems to be available in the market is this plastic one:

I did not like this plastic connector. I looked around for a solution and I found out that, cable makers like Moon-Audio and Uranus, used a TRS Connector instead on the TS Connector, in their Right-Angle version of the coax cable. But now I had ANOTHER PROBLEM. Uranus-Cable does not ship outside Malaysia and the cable from Moon-Audio was too expensive.

Hope this helps!

-EagleWings

May 26, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #32,413 of 42,765
Welcome to this thread.
There is some information about connecting Fiio devices in post #3, but the x1 is not specifically mentioned.
Quite a few Mojo owners use Fiio transports, so hopefully someone will provide an answer.
Here are the signal paths for an appropriate Co-Axial cable to connect Fiio X3ii and X5ii DAPs to Mojos Co-Axial digital input:

(pin-out identities based upon these: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/14985#post_12467535 )

IMPORTANT: James (CEO of Fiio) has privately confirmed to me that the above diagram is definitely correct for X3ii, X5ii, and X7

Alternatively, if you wish to use a stereo TRS plug at the Mojo end (instead of the mono TS plug in the above picture, which is really all that is required), then the pin connections would be as follows:

(pin-out identities based upon this: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/18675#post_12651727)

Lately, I have been recommending a certain type of TRS Connector(or Plug) for the coaxial cable to connect a Fiio X3ii/X5ii/X7 to a Mojo, and it appears to be causing some confusion here. Hopefully this post will help clarify this confusion.

PLEASE NOTE: This post only applies to Fiio X3 2nd Gen, X5 2nd Gen and X7 devices. Before we get into the topic, here is a picture to understand what TS, TRS, TRRS Connectors are:

Source: http://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Fiio X3ii, X5ii and X7 devices use a single 3.5mm port that is shared for both Line-Out and Coaxial Digital-Out purposes. A regular coax cable will NOT work with these devices. You need a modified cable with 3.5mm TRRS Connector to work with these devices. The TRRS pins on this coaxial cable have to be configured as shown in the picture below:

Source: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40478

Now, the coax port on the Mojo is a simple, dedicated 3.5mm coax port. So all it needs is a 3.5mm TS Connector. So in order to connect a Fiio X3ii/X5ii/X7 to a Mojo, you need a coax cable with 3.5mm TRRS Connector on one end and, a 3.5mm TS Connector on the other. The TRRS end goes into the Fiio devices and the TS end goes into the Mojo.

EDITOR'S note: There are cable makers who sell this modified cable in both Straight Connectors and Right-Angle Connectors version, but it can be necessary to make a special-order. Dyson Audio used to make them, but this maker became unreliable, and is best avoided until further notice.

If you want a cable with Straight Connectors on both end, you can stop right here and can right away purchase it from one of these places:
Moon-Audio (US) / Custom-Cable (UK) / Uranus (Malaysia)

Now the PROBLEM arises, when you want this cable with Right-Angle Connectors. For some reason, the only Right-Angle version of TS Connector, that seems to be available in the market is this plastic one:

I did not like this plastic connector. I looked around for a solution and I found out that, cable makers like Moon-Audio and Uranus, used a TRS Connector instead on the TS Connector, in their Right-Angle version of the coax cable. But now I had ANOTHER PROBLEM. Uranus-Cable does not ship outside Malaysia and the cable from Moon-Audio was too expensive.

Hope this helps!

-EagleWings
The X1ii doesn't have a digital output only line out so you can't use it with the mojo.

May 27, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #32,415 of 42,765
I have bought the relevant cables to join my fiio to a mojo chord but the blue light switches off. I have changed the fiio settings to coax out as that is the cable I'm using. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back