Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 23, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #32,371 of 42,765
Thanks guys, i did consider and tried x5iii and the sound is not as re-fined as iphone+nutron+mojo, and bass are gone. The one dap came close to mojo in the warm vocal at higher price is AK300 and AK Kann. Kann beat AK300 by the shere volumn of really nice bass note, problem is it's in the $1000 range and it's huge close to the iphone+mojo stack... the other DAP i am consider is onkyo dp-x1a but it doesn't sound close to the thick and warm mojo signture, it sounds relatively digital and cooler.
I have both DP-X1 and Fiio X5iii and on there own I myself prefer the DP-X1 by a large margin. I bought the X5iii to use as a source for the Mojo only. I like that I can output DSD via Coax to Mojo with. Its a great source and I have Tidal offline for it as well. I do have my DP-X1 strapped to the Oppo HA2-SE which i love the sound as well.
Ive been trying to get away from multiple devices but, the sound is much better this way.

May 24, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #32,374 of 42,765
Can anyone confirm if mojo works with players other than UAPP (specifically Poweramp) on android?

A qualified "yes" - versions of android after 5 Lollipop support USB DACs natively for all apps BUT depending on the implementation, the android audio system upconverts to the highest bitrate that the DAC supports... So for the Mojo, it may transfer all files at 192KHz. That is my own experience with Marshmallow and Nougat. UAPP as well as some other apps (Neutron for example - I don't know about Poweramp) use their own USB driver to bypass this android "feature".
I personally use an older Sony Xperia Z3C "downgraded" to Android 4.4.4 on which Sony provided their own USB driver to do the same.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #32,375 of 42,765
Can anyone confirm if mojo works with players other than UAPP (specifically Poweramp) on android?

Guess it is a matter of perspective. On my LG V20 via USB, I can't get it to not "up-sample" the audio. So, works... sort of.

May 24, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #32,376 of 42,765

With UAPP the native android upsampling is disabled as UAPP uses their own driver. This is why I use UAPP, I don't want my music upsampled. I'm on S7E and UAPP performed flawlessly with both marshmallow and nougat.

May 24, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #32,377 of 42,765
Is Mojo capable of playing this file back? It's Donald Fagan's Morph The Cat SACD (or mayb eit's a DVD-A) with 5.1, each track has two versions, I'm guessing two DVDs and the second is the 5.1 version. It will play one version but not the other, the second version is a much larger file, usually 3-4x the size of the first. I'm getting an error in Jriver and I'm configured properly for bitstreaming, here is everything I know about one of the seemingly unplayable files:

Morph The Cat - SACD 304MB
1 bit
2822400 Hz
- The entire album is a single .iso file
- Jriver is unable to obtain a bitrate for the files, I'm guessing it's massive though somewhere north of 5000kbps

"Error: Playback could not be started on the output "CORE AUDIO" using the format DOP 2.8MHz 6ch"

It's odd because all my other DSD works.

May 24, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #32,378 of 42,765
Is Mojo capable of playing this file back? It's Donald Fagan's Morph The Cat SACD (or mayb eit's a DVD-A) with 5.1, each track has two versions, I'm guessing two DVDs and the second is the 5.1 version. It will play one version but not the other, the second version is a much larger file, usually 3-4x the size of the first. I'm getting an error in Jriver and I'm configured properly for bitstreaming, here is everything I know about one of the seemingly unplayable files:

Morph The Cat - SACD 304MB
1 bit
2822400 Hz
- The entire album is a single .iso file
- Jriver is unable to obtain a bitrate for the files, I'm guessing it's massive though somewhere north of 5000kbps

"Error: Playback could not be started on the output "CORE AUDIO" using the format DOP 2.8MHz 6ch"

It's odd because all my other DSD works.
My first thought is that you are trying to play 6 channels (5.1) through a Mojo only designed for 2 channels - so you would have an incompatibility there.

May 24, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #32,379 of 42,765
My first thought is that you are trying to play 6 channels (5.1) through a Mojo only designed for 2 channels - so you would have an incompatibility there.

Yea I already fiddled with the various channel options in Jriver but nothing worked. I assumed that's what it was as well, wanted confirmation. Thanks

May 24, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #32,380 of 42,765
Yea I already fiddled with the various channel options in Jriver but nothing worked. I assumed that's what it was as well, wanted confirmation. Thanks

Did yo try changing to 2 channel OP here:

upload_2017-5-24_20-5-26.png

May 24, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #32,381 of 42,765
Thanks guys, i did consider and tried x5iii and the sound is not as re-fined as iphone+nutron+mojo, and bass are gone. The one dap came close to mojo in the warm vocal at higher price is AK300 and AK Kann. Kann beat AK300 by the shere volumn of really nice bass note, problem is it's in the $1000 range and it's huge close to the iphone+mojo stack... the other DAP i am consider is onkyo dp-x1a but it doesn't sound close to the thick and warm mojo signture, it sounds relatively digital and cooler.

what of the ibasso dx200? lots of good reviews there.

side note: with the recent apple ios 10.3.2 upgrade both my mojo and dragonfly red are now working again with my ipod touch6.

May 24, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #32,382 of 42,765
Are you saying that the X5iii and Mojo sounded different than your iPhone and Mojo together? I think the X5iii and Mojo are a awesome combo!

May 25, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #32,384 of 42,765
Mojo guros,

I am current looking for a good DAP for my se846 (z7 moded for home) instead of iphone 6 for casual in the pocket listen with out mojo stack, since i broke 2 fiio lightening musb cable already. I am happy mojo user but the iphone stake is big and run out of storage especially many DAPs now can take on 2 micro SD cards.

I went and tried higher end 1a/1z/1es vs mojo on balanced for few hours in Sony store, 1a/1z/1es has that airiness feel and details, but voice feels recessed towards the back and a bit dark, mojo voice is much more fore-front and presentable, vocals are strong for mojo. I have also tried the new AK Kann briefly and it seems it's comparable with Mojo on voice, but it's way too big and heavy, but storage is huge 128+256+512!

I am gear towards on the Onkyo DP-S1 for it's small size but it seems not able to connect to Mojo at home. Anyone has any suggestions on a mojo sounding DAP will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Maybe an android phone is the way to go? I was recommend to try the Sony X3.
Otherwise this looks promising.
https://ap200.hidizs.net/
I suspect that a lot of DAP manufacturers will be bringing our devices for Tidal and the like. I don't know what has taken them so long!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back