Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 21, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #32,356 of 42,765
With the ios bug (I have it too CCK usb 3) I'm wondering what the experience of using something like the jitterbug is?

With the audio cutoff being so intermittent is it possible that it's an interference thing?

If anyone has one of those usb purifier thing can they comment if they still get the cut outs?

Cheers
are you trying to say putting a usb purifier type of stuff in between ios device and mojo, in the connection of cck? don't think it's gonna bring anything to the table

May 21, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #32,357 of 42,765
are you trying to say putting a usb purifier type of stuff in between ios device and mojo, in the connection of cck? don't think it's gonna bring anything to the table
No idea just a random theory. It's just that some people it works fine and others get the audio cutout at random times.

It's the random bit that makes me think interference

May 21, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #32,358 of 42,765
I know it is new fashion to complain about Apple, because they make popular stuff they must be bad.
Just to understand what all the fuss about I spent the whole weekend with Mojo and CCKs. I do have both old usb 2 and a new one usb 3 with charging port. Have to report that usb 3 gave me 2 cut outs initially on Friday night with iPad 2. Starting on Saturday, I used only iPhone 7, no matter what I did or how hard I tried I couldn't get any cutouts, neither on old or new CCKs. I'm not saying there is no problem with new update, I'm saying that I had hard time replicating it.
At the end of this weekend I decided to try Google Pixel. Oh well, it does not sound as clear as iPhone and it also has this almost unnoticeable crackling, almost like I'm listening to an LP, kinda defeats the Mojo's mojo.
I guess, I'm sticking with what I've been using all along.

May 22, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #32,359 of 42,765
@bikutoru Sounds like an issue with that particular Pixel phone (or cable). I have had none of those issues playing through my LG V20, Sony Xperia ZV3, or a few other Android devices I have on hand.

May 22, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #32,360 of 42,765
I know it is new fashion to complain about Apple, because they make popular stuff they must be bad.
Just to understand what all the fuss about I spent the whole weekend with Mojo and CCKs. I do have both old usb 2 and a new one usb 3 with charging port. Have to report that usb 3 gave me 2 cut outs initially on Friday night with iPad 2. Starting on Saturday, I used only iPhone 7, no matter what I did or how hard I tried I couldn't get any cutouts, neither on old or new CCKs. I'm not saying there is no problem with new update, I'm saying that I had hard time replicating it.
At the end of this weekend I decided to try Google Pixel. Oh well, it does not sound as clear as iPhone and it also has this almost unnoticeable crackling, almost like I'm listening to an LP, kinda defeats the Mojo's mojo.
I guess, I'm sticking with what I've been using all along.

Trying taking the Mojo and iPhone out for a walk. When I stay home, I'm fine 99% of the time. When I am commuting it drops the connection several times over a 30 min journey and I need to pull the cable and reconnect. If there was an alternative DAP I could use for Tidal Streaming that was as good or better I think I'd jump, but I'm not sure there is:

AR M2 / M20 - firmware updates seem to be thin on the ground, Tidal support is becoming an issue, Apple Music maybe too, and the M20 seems broken on current firmware
X5 III - not convinced its as good as the Mojo, again firmware seems spotty
DX200 - by all accounts this is pretty fast and slick, looks good too, but it seems like it's a bit thin and analytic rather than fun like the Mojo
X7 - spotty firmware, not so fun
Poly - unreleased, but looks ideal, except that it needs a personal hotspot rather than it being the personal hotspot, which means it can't be used on my weekly commuter flight, which is very very stupid

May 22, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #32,363 of 42,765
From what I've read the X5iii doesn't pair well over USB but you can get a special coax cable to connect digitally. Tidal is supposedly fine on the X5iii. I'm hoping some brings out an Android DAP that's up at the Mojo level, but bang up to date - a new version of the AR M2 for instance.

May 22, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #32,364 of 42,765
@almarti I can check to see if X5iii to Mojo is working with the latest firmware in a few minutes. I don't have the EtherFlow... but I do have hard to drive earbuds (Venture Electronics Zen 2.0 Standard in Balanced form, as well as the "Black Edition" of the Zen 2.0 as well). I also have the Sennheiser HD6XX sitting next to me, and the X5iii does drive the HD6XX to loud levels, synergy is subjective though.

Update: Yes, X5iii to Mojo is working well through USB or Coaxial. The latest Firmware seems to have corrected the USB problem.

Though, I will admit... I rarely pair them, as I feel the X5iii is strong enough on it's own.
0522171350.jpg

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #32,365 of 42,765
Asking a beginner question here. I'm trying to run a test to compare the sonic signatures of the Mojo and another dedicated DAC. Do I:

A) line out to an amp?
B) connect the Mojo in normal mode to an amp?

I tried option A and it resulted in distortion, probably due to the stacked gain, but I'm not sure if option B is conclusive. Any advice?

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #32,366 of 42,765
Asking a beginner question here. I'm trying to run a test to compare the sonic signatures of the Mojo and another dedicated DAC. Do I:

A) line out to an amp?
B) connect the Mojo in normal mode to an amp?

I tried option A and it resulted in distortion, probably due to the stacked gain, but I'm not sure if option B is conclusive. Any advice?

Line out mode on the Mojo is just a volume preset to 3Vrms, which may be too 'hot' for the amp you are feeding. To get to a more reasonable output level that will play with most amps you can set the Mojo to line level output and then click the volume down -4 times to output 1.9Vrms. There is no loss in attenuating the digital volume according to Rob Watts so don't worry about adjusting the output to a more favorable level. Also be aware that when you adjust the volume that this is now remembered so you'll likely want to turn it down before listening to the Mojo on its own (or be prepared to blast your ears!).

When doing comparisons the attached amp will add it's own signature on top of the Mojo vs the Mojo on its own when comparing signatures.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #32,367 of 42,765
Mojo guros,

I am current looking for a good DAP for my se846 (z7 moded for home) instead of iphone 6 for casual in the pocket listen with out mojo stack, since i broke 2 fiio lightening musb cable already. I am happy mojo user but the iphone stake is big and run out of storage especially many DAPs now can take on 2 micro SD cards.

I went and tried higher end 1a/1z/1es vs mojo on balanced for few hours in Sony store, 1a/1z/1es has that airiness feel and details, but voice feels recessed towards the back and a bit dark, mojo voice is much more fore-front and presentable, vocals are strong for mojo. I have also tried the new AK Kann briefly and it seems it's comparable with Mojo on voice, but it's way too big and heavy, but storage is huge 128+256+512!

I am gear towards on the Onkyo DP-S1 for it's small size but it seems not able to connect to Mojo at home. Anyone has any suggestions on a mojo sounding DAP will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

May 23, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #32,368 of 42,765
Mojo guros,

I am current looking for a good DAP for my se846 (z7 moded for home) instead of iphone 6 for casual in the pocket listen with out mojo stack, since i broke 2 fiio lightening musb cable already. I am happy mojo user but the iphone stake is big and run out of storage especially many DAPs now can take on 2 micro SD cards.

I went and tried higher end 1a/1z/1es vs mojo on balanced for few hours in Sony store, 1a/1z/1es has that airiness feel and details, but voice feels recessed towards the back and a bit dark, mojo voice is much more fore-front and presentable, vocals are strong for mojo. I have also tried the new AK Kann briefly and it seems it's comparable with Mojo on voice, but it's way too big and heavy, but storage is huge 128+256+512!

I am gear towards on the Onkyo DP-S1 for it's small size but it seems not able to connect to Mojo at home. Anyone has any suggestions on a mojo sounding DAP will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

FiiO X5iii. Tonally it is similar to the Mojo, if not slightly warmer. However, if you seek air and a brighter signature then the smooth treble may not be to your liking.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #32,369 of 42,765
I stopped using my Mojo with my Fiio X5iii fo a while because it is just fine without it. A few days ago I plugged the Mojo back into it and sure enough, it's just finer.
I don't miss it when it isn't plugged in to the X5iii, but I sure do appreciate it when it is. For me it's that close. I do most of my Mojo listening at my computer.

May 23, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #32,370 of 42,765
Thanks guys, i did consider and tried x5iii and the sound is not as re-fined as iphone+nutron+mojo, and bass are gone. The one dap came close to mojo in the warm vocal at higher price is AK300 and AK Kann. Kann beat AK300 by the shere volumn of really nice bass note, problem is it's in the $1000 range and it's huge close to the iphone+mojo stack... the other DAP i am consider is onkyo dp-x1a but it doesn't sound close to the thick and warm mojo signture, it sounds relatively digital and cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back