Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 25, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #31,366 of 42,765
Mar 25, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #31,367 of 42,765
  I would probably put some sealant on it so that it doesn't Oxidize... but some people like the look of that on copper (not me though)... I'm sure it will oxidize quickly with the oils from the hands.

Give them a few months and they will turn green
frown.gif

That will definately count as a mod. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #31,368 of 42,765
  Give them a few months and they will turn green
frown.gif

That will definately count as a mod. 

With enough carbonate exposure from the environment for sure.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #31,369 of 42,765
Doesn't the green oxidization require salt? Not sure. Which I guess could come from your fingers/hands anyway. Yes, clear coat makes sense.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #31,370 of 42,765
Doesn't the green oxidization require salt? Not sure. Which I guess could come from your fingers/hands anyway. Yes, clear coat makes sense.

Yep you get carbonates from tap water and sodium from your hands

Then again, I'd rather nickel plate it with 10 microns then plate it with 2 microns of decorative gold plate. That should resist corrosion for years.

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #31,371 of 42,765
As an interim step until I get my Hugo 2, I'm trying to connect my Mojo directly to my Classe CT2300 amp (-> B&W 802 speakers) via the single ended RCA inputs on the Classe.  When I go through my Oppo HA-1 as a preamp (Mojo headphone out to RCA in on Oppo to RCA out to Classe), everything is hunky dory.  When I try to connect the Mojo directly to the amp (Mojo headphone out to Classe RCA single ended in), I get a horrific hum.

Before I experiment more, thoughts on how to eliminate hum in this sort of set up?  Have folks successfully connected their Mojo directly to a power amp in a 2 channel setup?

My ultimate plan is to have the Hugo 2 connected directly to the amp (via RCA outs), so I'm trying to simplify my signal path in anticipation of that (and hopefully avoid similar hum issues with the H2)

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #31,372 of 42,765

Before I experiment more, thoughts on how to eliminate hum in this sort of set up?  Have folks successfully connected their Mojo directly to a power amp in a 2 channel setup?

Yes, I have mine connected to a power amp with no problems at all. The hum may be due to a ground loop. You might try disconnecting your power amp from the ground, plugging your power amp into a different socket or some such solution.

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #31,373 of 42,765
As an interim step until I get my Hugo 2, I'm trying to connect my Mojo directly to my Classe CT2300 amp (-> B&W 802 speakers) via the single ended RCA inputs on the Classe.  When I go through my Oppo HA-1 as a preamp (Mojo headphone out to RCA in on Oppo to RCA out to Classe), everything is hunky dory.  When I try to connect the Mojo directly to the amp (Mojo headphone out to Classe RCA single ended in), I get a horrific hum.

My ultimate plan is to have the Hugo 2 connected directly to the amp (via RCA outs), so I'm trying to simplify my signal path in anticipation of that (and hopefully avoid similar hum issues with the H2)

Sounds like a ground loop.

My system is usually

desktop>Mojo>Arcam Solo neo> Speakers

and I experience no problems

key points:

desktop>Mojo is via optical, so no electrical connection
Mojo is running off battery, so no mains electricity connection

So only the amplifier is connected to ground, so no ground loop.

Can you try connecting the Mojo directly to your amp, and remove your HA-1 as the potential issue - for this test?
Probably trial and error is needed, to narrow down the root cause.

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #31,374 of 42,765
key points:

desktop>Mojo is via optical, so no electrical connection
Mojo is running off battery, so no mains electricity connection

So only the amplifier is connected to ground, so no ground loop.

Can you try connecting the Mojo directly to your amp, and remove your HA-1 as the potential issue - for this test?
Probably trial and error is needed, to narrow down the root cause.

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I should clarify that "horrific" for my hum means I'm worried that it will blow my speakers (extremely loud).  

I have the same issue when connecting the mojo on battery only (not connected to power and not connected to any other source) to the amp.  Strangely, I also get a significant hum when connected to the Mojo with the Mojo power off and nothing else connected to the (with multiple different cables/adapters)

I have had zero issues with the Mojo driving headphones/CIEMs/Oppo HA-1 as a preamp/etc.

I just tried connecting my amp directly to my Pono (headphone out, power off) and got the same hum as the Mojo.  Per @Hooster the problem may be with my amp.  I'll experiment there.

Thanks again

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #31,375 of 42,765

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I should clarify that "horrific" for my hum means I'm worried that it will blow my speakers (extremely loud).  

I have the same issue when connecting the mojo on battery only (not connected to power and not connected to any other source) to the amp.  Strangely, I also get a significant hum when connected to the Mojo with the Mojo power off and nothing else connected to the (with multiple different cables/adapters)

I have had zero issues with the Mojo driving headphones/CIEMs/Oppo HA-1 as a preamp/etc.

I just tried connecting my amp directly to my Pono (headphone out, power off) and got the same hum as the Mojo.  Per @Hooster the problem may be with my amp.  I'll experiment there.

Thanks again

Yes, from that description the Mojo is innocent, and the amp should be your focus now.

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #31,376 of 42,765
Ok, so... I sent back the Shanling M1. I thought it was nice and all, but didn't like having to reach around and continually grab the jog wheel for play pause, etc. So. I'm on the hunt again for something "like" the M1, isn't much bigger than the Mojo and can do the BT 4.0/Aptx streaming, and hopefully has Coax/or USB out.  Physical buttons are a BIG plus as I want to operate it with the screen off. Touch-screen is not a necessity. Any ideas?  I'm leaning towards Cayin N3. I'm currently using my Sony Xperia Z3v as a DAP for the Mojo, but that phone is quite a bit bigger than the Mojo (so stacking looks silly).  Any suggestions appreciated.

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #31,377 of 42,765
Ok, so... I sent back the Shanling M1. I thought it was nice and all, but didn't like having to reach around and continually grab the jog wheel for play pause, etc. So. I'm on the hunt again for something "like" the M1, isn't much bigger than the Mojo and can do the BT 4.0/Aptx streaming, and hopefully has Coax/or USB out.  Physical buttons are a BIG plus as I want to operate it with the screen off. Touch-screen is not a necessity. Any ideas?  I'm leaning towards Cayin N3. I'm currently using my Sony Xperia Z3v as a DAP for the Mojo, but that phone is quite a bit bigger than the Mojo (so stacking looks silly).  Any suggestions appreciated.

Hidizs AP60?

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #31,378 of 42,765
Hidizs AP60?

I just stumbled onto that... It looks excellent! I think the buttons are capacitive... so I'll have to read a bit more about it. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #31,379 of 42,765
  I just stumbled onto that... It looks excellent! I think the buttons are capacitive... so I'll have to read a bit more about it. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

I have both AP60 and M1 and tested both with Mojo, M1 is much much cleaner and gives bigger soundstage Give the AP60 to my son. Just ordered yesterday the Cayin N3 to use it with the Mojo, don't know if it will sounds better than M1 with Mojo.

Also, I'm wondering if coaxial sounds better than USB on the Mojo when needed with DAP.....with the Cayin N3 I ordered the ''special'' usb c to coax cable....hope will sound good!!!

Anyone test usb vs coax on Mojo?

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #31,380 of 42,765

I have both AP60 and M1 and tested both with Mojo, M1 is much much cleaner and gives bigger soundstage Give the AP60 to my son. Just ordered yesterday the Cayin N3 to use it with the Mojo, don't know if it will sounds better than M1 with Mojo.

Also, I'm wondering if coaxial sounds better than USB on the Mojo when needed with DAP.....with the Cayin N3 I ordered the ''special'' usb c to coax cable....hope will sound good!!!

Anyone test usb vs coax on Mojo?

Keep me in the loop. I have not ordered yet (and just built a long OTG cable for a phone that I no longer use) to pair with Mojo for time being. N3 is also one that I'm considering. The Fiio X3ii looked nice, but I need/want Tidal to stream to the device/Mojo as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back