Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 14, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #25,786 of 42,765
I'm looking into buying one to pair with my SE846/iPhone 7. I can't help but feel it's just not necessary though. Someone convince me to get one!

Well, you already have a USB DAC coming out of your iphone, Mojo will sound better in all aspects possible, more details, bigger soundstage, etc. 

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #25,788 of 42,765
  The color indicator/volume problem isn't really a problem. Just start the Mojo in preset mode and count clicks to get to the right output level.

Preset is 3Vrms, each click is 1dB... Here's a summary of the math to get to your desired dB SPL level...

You need to know two parameters about your headphones:

Nominal sensitivity (dB SPL/mW) 
Nominal impedance (Ohms)

Step 1: Calculate sensitivity as dB SPL / 1 Vrms
Y = y0 + 10*log10(1000/Z)
y0 = headphone nominal sensitivity (dB SPL/mW), Z = headphone nominal impedance

Step 2: Pick a target volume (dB SPL) and figure out output level needed to achieve it
V = 10^((T-Y)/20)
V = target level (Vrms), T = target loudness (dB SPL), Y = calculated sensitivity

Step 3: Loss due to Mojo output impedance
Loss(dB) =  20*log10(Z/(Z+0.075))
Z = headphone nominal impedance, 0.075 = Mojo nominal output impedance

Step 4: Find how many dB down the target level is from the preset
L = 20*log10(V/3) - Loss(dB)

Simply round the number above to figure out how many clicks from the preset you need to go. 

I created a little spreadsheet to calculate the right levels for directly driving headphones from the Mojo... 

That's awesome man, thanks.

Still... I can't help but feel that any product where you have to open an excel sheet to work out the volume level is a fail :D

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #25,790 of 42,765
I'm looking into buying one to pair with my SE846/iPhone 7. I can't help but feel it's just not necessary though. Someone convince me to get one!

In your decision take into account not on the sound but the convenience of carrying another device on the go if this is your intended use.
I had the same setup and ended up not using the MOJO on the go at all because it was just too much stuff to carry.
But that's me...

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #25,791 of 42,765
In your decision take into account not on the sound but the convenience of carrying another device on the go if this is your intended use.
I had the same setup and ended up not using the MOJO on the go at all because it was just too much stuff to carry.
But that's me...
Did the mojo hurt your hand? On the go means walking for 10 mins? ☺

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #25,792 of 42,765
But that's me...

For me it would be mainly in use when I am traveling. I typically carry a small bag and stick all my "travel needs" in there such as an external battery and what not. So I don't think it would be too much of a pain to lug around.

I'm just moreso worried about it it's "worth" it and unfortunately there's nowhere nearby where I can try it first.

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #25,793 of 42,765
That's awesome man, thanks.

Still... I can't help but feel that any product where you have to open an excel sheet to work out the volume level is a fail :D

Actually, I think the Mojo is better because you can use a spreadsheet to figure out volume settings.

You could make the same calculations for any (DAC/)amp, but once you do, you still have an analog pot to set... I don't think anyone wants to figure out how many radians to rotate the knob through to get the calculated level. With Mojo, it's easy... Just count the clicks.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #25,796 of 42,765
Actually, I think the Mojo is better because you can use a spreadsheet to figure out volume settings.

You could make the same calculations for any (DAC/)amp, but once you do, you still have an analog pot to set... I don't think anyone wants to figure out how many radians to rotate the knob through to get the calculated level. With Mojo, it's easy... Just count the clicks.

I see your point entirely and it is a valid one. But really the only time you need to know the Vout is when your hooking it up to an external amp. A line out with a fixed Vout of 2V instead of 3V would imo have been a better user experience but I'm nitpicking.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #25,797 of 42,765
77dB below the preset (3Vrms)? If so, simply add 77 to the last column. 

To be correct you need to add 72dB (+/-1).
Preset line level is at 72 (+/-1) clicks or dB from mute settings.

At minimum volume setting Mojo digitally attenuates the input: -77dB.
At maximum volume setting Mojo digitally amplifies the input: + 18dB.
Mojo preset output level is set around -5dB.

Nov 15, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #25,798 of 42,765

I see your point entirely and it is a valid one. But really the only time you need to know the Vout is when your hooking it up to an external amp. A line out with a fixed Vout of 2V instead of 3V would imo have been a better user experience but I'm nitpicking.

I use 3V line level with my Genelec speakers daily. Never tried 2V. May be i will do some testing today !

Nov 15, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #25,799 of 42,765
  I use 3V line level with my Genelec speakers daily. Never tried 2V. May be i will do some testing today !

2Vrms for 0dBFS is the redbook standard. I'm frankly not sure why the 3V was chosen in the Mojo.

On the back of my Genelecs (1030's) you can alter the input sensitivity up to +6dBu. But I don't know if that means that for higher input levels it will clip. If it did, you for sure would have heard it already as 3Vrms is much higher than 6dBu.

When I hooked up my Mojo to my O2 amp it was clipping quite noticeably in it's standard 3Vrms config, but setting it to 2V solved that.

EDIT: Spelling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back