Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 13, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #25,726 of 42,765
  (What follows isn't aimed at any single individual):

It may be wonderful for Americans that the dollar is currently (relatively) strong against the pound, and that Mojo is therefore something of a bargain, at the moment, but has it occurred to any of you, over the pond, that there are a lot of UK head-fiers who are growing weary of having their noses rubbed in it, so-to-speak?

It wasn't so long ago that US distributors and dealers were bitching about Hugo being cheaper in the UK than in the USA, and we, in the UK, ended up being penalised for it.

At the current point in time, Mojo (and Hugo) are cheaper in the USA than in the UK, and I don't see/hear UK distributors/dealers or customers complaining about that, demanding parity, but a little courtesy from customers in the USA might be nice. You can enjoy your opportunity to obtain Chord DACs cheaper than customers in the country of manufacture without crowing about it.

Just sayin'...
rolleyes.gif

good post mython, very rarely do we get things cheaper here in the UK, we get stung on pricing as it is.

i do get annoyed when a new product comes out, for example at $500 and apparently that equals to £500 in UK or $630.

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #25,728 of 42,765
Some do enjoy the chase over the music.

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #25,730 of 42,765
i imagine a lot of people feeling disappointed when they finally reach end game, no more new exciting gear to buy and just listening to the music only.

its the true audiophile test, do you love the gear more than the music.
the first "hit".

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #25,731 of 42,765

i imagine a lot of people feeling disappointed when they finally reach end game, no more new exciting gear to buy and just listening to the music only.

its the true audiophile test, do you love the gear more than the music.

I think I am definitely guilty of the loving the gear more than the music from time to time. But in general enjoy searching for ways that make make my music or for that matter anything else in my life that much better. 

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #25,733 of 42,765
Is there a consensus on a go-to transport for Mojo? Or are people mostly waiting for the SD-card add-on (those who don’t already have a dedicated DAP that can be used with Mojo)?

I’m just using my iPhone for now and enjoy the variety of options on the software side (NEplayer, HiBy, Onkyo, etc.). Would ideally like something dedicated for the Mojo that I can stack with it (or attach) and leave my phone for gaming/communications.

I like the concept of the Shanling M1 but am not sure about the button complement/placement, software UI, etc. Would really like something with dead-simple hard buttons for volume up/down, play/pause and next/previous, Something that can be used in the pocket without having to look at the screen.

I think my ideal transport would be something like a Sansa Clip with bit perfect USB output and the ability to take a 128GB or 256GB micro-SD card. Nothing like that seems to exist (or, I guess I’m describing the Shanling?).

If I needed to buy something in the short term (before Christmas) is the Fiio X3II the closest thing for ~$200US or less?

p.s. I had the pleasure of working on a software project for Jaguar Land Rover a couple of years ago. Was most impressed with the passion and intelligence the home office folks brought to the work at hand (though they were not, in the main, "software" people). They really wanted to "get it right" and pushed me to new levels of achievement to make that happen. I'll always be thankful for that. I feel the same spirit in Mojo's design and execution. Here's to the "special relationship" :wink:. Our recent election unpleasantness aside, I do hope this bond endures.

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #25,734 of 42,765
I think I am definitely guilty of the loving the gear more than the music from time to time. But in general enjoy searching for ways that make make my music or for that matter anything else in my life that much better. 
Better than what, who? Better than an earbud dobe. Better than being honeless done.

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #25,735 of 42,765
Is there a consensus on a go-to transport for Mojo? Or are people mostly waiting for the SD-card add-on (those who don’t already have a dedicated DAP that can be used with Mojo)?

I’m just using my iPhone for now and enjoy the variety of options on the software side (NEplayer, HiBy, Onkyo, etc.). Would ideally like something dedicated for the Mojo that I can stack with it (or attach) and leave my phone for gaming/communications.

I like the concept of the Shanling M1 but am not sure about the button complement/placement, software UI, etc. Would really like something with dead-simple hard buttons for volume up/down, play/pause and next/previous, Something that can be used in the pocket without having to look at the screen.

I think my ideal transport would be something like a Sansa Clip with bit perfect USB output and the ability to take a 128GB or 256GB micro-SD card. Nothing like that seems to exist (or, I guess I’m describing the Shanling?).

If I needed to buy something in the short term (before Christmas) is the Fiio X3II the closest thing for ~$200US or less?

p.s. I had the pleasure of working on a software project for Jaguar Land Rover a couple of years ago. Was most impressed with the passion and intelligence the home office folks brought to the work at hand (though they were not, in the main, "software" people). They really wanted to "get it right" and pushed me to new levels of achievement to make that happen. I'll always be thankful for that. I feel the same spirit in Mojo's design and execution. Here's to the "special relationship" :wink:. Our recent election unpleasantness aside, I do hope this bond endures.

I would say the X3ii is a great fit for what you listed as requirements, except for the need for a custom coaxial cable which may be expensive or time consuming to acquire. The current FiiO DAPs share the coaxial out with the Line-out (the coaxial signal is on the Sleeve and the ground is shared with Line-out the second Ring).

Edit: There's also the AK70 which can output USB audio out.

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #25,736 of 42,765

Can you keep politics out of the head-fi discussion?

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #25,737 of 42,765

Same here sir.
The time in my life I can dedicate to serious music listening shrinked dramatically with my first child. With the second on the way the outlook doesn't look any better for the coming 10 years or so...
So I spend most of my commute time looking for ways to improve the quality of sound with new gear.
100 hours of research for every hour of listening... Too bad!

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #25,738 of 42,765
good post mython, very rarely do we get things cheaper here in the UK, we get stung on pricing as it is.

i do get annoyed when a new product comes out, for example at $500 and apparently that equals to £500 in UK or $630.

Most of the time the discrepancy in US and UK prices comes down to the fact that prices advertised in the US do not include VAT (or Sales Tax), whereas prices in the UK always include VAT - which I believe is running at around 20% in the UK at the moment.

OK I'll admit that sometimes there's price gouging going on in the UK, but often when you factor in the VAT the prices come out more or less the same.

Also for imported products (which the Mojo isn't) there's a certain amount of import duty to be reckoned with as well, depending on the country of origin.

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #25,739 of 42,765
Basically when one finds a good price for a great product its nice to let others know so they can join in listening to the Mojo. Maybe there are many who could not afford $500 or so and were on the fence. Now with the Heads Up they might consider buying a Mojo. Sharing is Caring.

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #25,740 of 42,765
Am I the only one that finds the colour coding of the volume levels highly confusing?

I've already had one instance where I blasted 1 second of waaaay to high output level through my IEMs into my ears because of making a mistake on the colours... 

Is there a definitive guide somewhere? The Hugo colour code in post 3 is not sufficient information...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back