Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 27, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #23,296 of 42,765
There are tons of inexpensive cell phone stands that will hold Mojo verically in place . I don't think there is a huge need for such an item unless Chord wants to make their own, higher quality stand for desktop use.
Velcro it to a desk.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #23,297 of 42,765

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #23,298 of 42,765
Isn't there a Kintex 7 in the Mojo? Maybe it's a smaller part in the family, but it's also Xilinx's latest generation of parts. These are not small by any measure... It's remarkable the resources they're packing into these things... Particularly DSP48 slices and BRAMs which are useful for these types of signal processing applications. And they're able to run the parts at higher clock rates and lower power than previous generations. Plus the new Vivado tool is a complete overhaul of the old ISE design suite... Synthesis tool is a bit smarter, but PAR does an infinitely better job of closing out timing.

Also, any chance we could stop with the marketing cliches? The 44 DSP cores are what, individual modules in the RTL hierarchy? Are these meaningful modules or do they include things like synchronizers for clock domain crossings too (assuming there are any, just an example)? 26,000 taps is for one filter? Or the number of taps in all the filters combined? Are we talking about a giant polyphase FIR or a number of filter stages in different parts of the processing chain? What is the point of interpolating up to 200+MHz? Surely the DAC is not capable of running at that rate... And if it is, why?

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

You seem interested in the tech in the Mojo yet also seem reluctant to read the ocean of information posted in these forums by its designer, Rob Watts. I suggest you start with the third post of this thread, and then move over to the 'All Posts' by Rob Watts. He has generously shared a mountain of information on his DACs.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #23,300 of 42,765
Isn't there a Kintex 7 in the Mojo? Maybe it's a smaller part in the family, but it's also Xilinx's latest generation of parts. These are not small by any measure... It's remarkable the resources they're packing into these things... Particularly DSP48 slices and BRAMs which are useful for these types of signal processing applications. And they're able to run the parts at higher clock rates and lower power than previous generations. Plus the new Vivado tool is a complete overhaul of the old ISE design suite... Synthesis tool is a bit smarter, but PAR does an infinitely better job of closing out timing.

Also, any chance we could stop with the marketing cliches? The 44 DSP cores are what, individual modules in the RTL hierarchy? Are these meaningful modules or do they include things like synchronizers for clock domain crossings too (assuming there are any, just an example)? 26,000 taps is for one filter? Or the number of taps in all the filters combined? Are we talking about a giant polyphase FIR or a number of filter stages in different parts of the processing chain? What is the point of interpolating up to 200+MHz? Surely the DAC is not capable of running at that rate... And if it is, why?

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

It's the Artix 7.  The Kintex is the next step up I believe.  Both are in the 7 series based on the 28nm process.  The Spartan 6 is on a 45nm process.  Interestingly, the smaller Artix 7 15T chip that's in the Mojo has double the logic cells of the Spartan 6 LX9 in the Hugo (16,640 vs 9152) and 45 DSP slices vs. 16.  Gotta love Moore's law.  I'm guessing there is still plenty of room left over in that FPGA.

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #23,302 of 42,765
Sep 27, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #23,306 of 42,765

I just did some more comparisons between the Mojo and Lyr 2 with Mojo as the DAC and found the Lyr 2 has a very slight mid bass punch that the Mojo doesn't have. Also the separation on high hats and cymbals is better on the Lyr 2 which might translate to brightness but it's not sibilant by any means. If anything it's further extension above 16Khz that gives it more air than the Mojo.

The differences are microscopic and you really have to listen very very hard to hear any differences. 

I can agree that the Mojo is more than powerful enough but the Lyr 2 with these Amperex 7308 tubes just makes planar magnetics sing. The Lyr 2 is a tad harsh with my TH900's though compared to the Mojo which has a meatier and more tamed sound on the upper mids which I'm sensitive to.

How's the detail levels and transparency of the HO of Lyr2 as compared with Mojo? Would you say Lyr2 has a higher transparency amp?

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #23,307 of 42,765
How's the detail levels and transparency of the HO of Lyr2 as compared with Mojo? Would you say Lyr2 has a higher transparency amp?

Adding components to the audio chain will only reduce transparency. Strictly speaking, with regard to transparency, you simply can not add a component with its own distortions and increase transparency, it can only reduce transparency to the source. If you were to ask if the tonality gets brighter, thus giving the perception of more detail, then that would be a more accurate question to ask. Any device, not just the Mojo, will have the same thing happen when adding components in the chain. The nice thing with the Mojo is you typically don't need to, and certainly not for transparency sake. Of course I am not talking about tonal preference here, just transparency in the technical sense.

Edit: It's precisely this reason that the Mojo forgoes a separate internal amp and drives headphones directly from it's uniquely implemented 'line-out' stage. Much simpler design, much more transparent.

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #23,308 of 42,765
Sep 27, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #23,309 of 42,765
Cheap 10usd apiece like these @ Alibaba should do the job well .

Yours is a lot better and smarter. Ha, the velcro I can push it hard and it stays in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back