Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 26, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #23,266 of 42,765
I doubt if mine will ever be used outside the house other than when I go on holiday to be used at my destination . I bought it because it's an 'affordable' Chord and one of the best in the business portable or not.

I use it around the house and it's portability means I can plug it into my CD player or my phone and eventually, via a dock, connect to my iPods. It's a versatile 'end game' solution for me that performs magic with certain headphones like my HD25.

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #23,267 of 42,765
I doubt if mine will ever be used outside the house other than when I go on holiday to be used at my destination . I bought it because it's an 'affordable' Chord and one of the best in the business portable or not.

I use it around the house and it's portability means I can plug it into my CD player or my phone and eventually, via a dock, connect to my iPods. It's a versatile 'end game' solution for me that performs magic with certain headphones like my HD25.

Hah, the HD25 sound weirdly amazing through it, don't they? Glad to know that it's not just me who likes the combo 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #23,268 of 42,765
NO! Please do not upsample to 96khz through windows. It has been discussed multiple times on this thread, refer to post #3. 

Feeding Mojo an upsampled signal will mess with Mojo's excellent timing capabilities.

The problem is, i never get the other color than red if i did not do that. Even i played MJ songs which are 96KHz, the light is still RED :frowning2:

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #23,269 of 42,765
The problem is, i never get the other color than red if i did not do that. Even i played MJ songs which are 96KHz, the light is still RED
frown.gif

Am I right that you are using Foobar? If yes, you may want to install a component for the Foobar called the WASAPI component. Once you install this component, connect your Mojo to PC, open Foobar, go to Settings or Preferences, and then under Sound Output, choose 'Chord Mojo WASAPI event' and then you will be able to see the corresponding light if you played higher sampling rate files.

As an alternative you could also install the ASIO component. Both these components will pass bit perfect data to Mojo.

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #23,270 of 42,765
Hah, the HD25 sound weirdly amazing through it, don't they? Glad to know that it's not just me who likes the combo :)

Yes I have always been sceptical about claims of DACs and amps making big differences. 'night and day' must be the most overused exaggeration on Headfi (usually 'Dusk and Dawn's more accurate

This combo is different though. The HD25 is transformed. The separation and placement of instruments and openness are the biggest improvement I think. They sound correct in every way.

Shows what potential lurks in that old now often lightly dismissed classic headphone

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #23,271 of 42,765
Yes I have always been sceptical about claims of DACs and amps making big differences. 'night and day' must be the most overused exaggeration on Headfi (usually 'Dusk and Dawn's more accurate

This combo is different though. The HD25 is transformed. The separation and placement of instruments and openness are the biggest improvement I think. They sound correct in every way.

Shows what potential lurks in that old now often lightly dismissed classic headphone

Never dismissed by me! It's the daily workhorse of location sound guys the world over for a reason. You know when you see them hanging out of thousands of dollars of field mixer that it's not that the operator can't afford more expensive or modern headphones, after all.

Obviously you don't get a giant soundstage with closed back, and there's always going to be a bit of low-frequency resonance in the capsules, but considering how light, comfy and practical they are, daaaaym. Like you say, a classic- and this reminds you why. 

They're a relatively sensitive headphone, but with a middling impedance, and the Mojo just seems to eat them up. You're right that the difference is surprising. I have been a happy HD25 owner for many years, but rarely hear them as effortlessly enjoyable as directly out of the tiny Mojo.

HD25 can easily sound warm or veiled when boringly driven, and the Mojo really seems to make them clearer and gives them an undeniable sparkle that is very easy to get lost in.

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #23,272 of 42,765
I've used a Graham Slee Voyager with my HD25s for years now and have always loved it still do but it's been bettered now. Not in terms of battery life though:yum:

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #23,273 of 42,765

Am I right that you are using Foobar? If yes, you may want to install a component for the Foobar called the WASAPI component. Once you install this component, connect your Mojo to PC, open Foobar, go to Settings or Preferences, and then under Sound Output, choose 'Chord Mojo WASAPI event' and then you will be able to see the corresponding light if you played higher sampling rate files.

As an alternative you could also install the ASIO component. Both these components will pass bit perfect data to Mojo.

Oh god, i wish i could know that earlier!

i found this sound A LOT A LOT better :O omg

is this the true performance of MOJO? omg, now i know why...........

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #23,274 of 42,765
Does anyone know or mind explaining what "damping factor" is? 

With my 560's it shows the Mojo as having an extremely high damping factor while a slightly lower peak spl vs my Lyr 2 (with mojo as dac). 

https://www.audiobot9000.com/match/hifiman/he-560/with/schiit/lyr-2
https://www.audiobot9000.com/match/hifiman/he-560/with/chord/mojo

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #23,275 of 42,765

^ Damping factor is just the ratio of input and output impedance. With Mojo's very low output impedance, you can get a very high damping factor with a 43 ohm load. With Lyr 2, having an output impedance of 0.3 ohm on low gain and 0.7 ohm at high gain gives a damping factor of 143.3 and 61.4 respectively. A rule of thumb is that the headphone that is loaded to an amp must have a minimum of 8x damping factor than the output impedance of the amp.

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #23,276 of 42,765

^ Damping factor is just the ratio of input and output impedance. With Mojo's very low output impedance, you can get a very high damping factor with a 43 ohm load. With Lyr 2, having an output impedance of 0.3 ohm on low gain and 0.7 ohm at high gain gives a damping factor of 143.3 and 61.4 respectively. A rule of thumb is that the headphone that is loaded to an amp must have a minimum of 8x damping factor than the output impedance of the amp.

Having a higher dampening would be preferred vs more power overall into the headphone? 

I know the Lyr 2 and Mojo are two different amps but I find the Mojo warmer than the Lyr 2 which has a higher damping factor which is said to provide tighter and more controlled bass. 

I'm just trying to decide which is best for my 560's. I know it comes down to whichever sounds better and I prefer but I'd like some feedback from the community as well. 

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #23,277 of 42,765
  Having a higher dampening would be preferred vs more power overall into the headphone? 

I know the Lyr 2 and Mojo are two different amps but I find the Mojo warmer than the Lyr 2 which has a higher damping factor which is said to provide tighter and more controlled bass. 

I'm just trying to decide which is best for my 560's. I know it comes down to whichever sounds better and I prefer but I'd like some feedback from the community as well. 

Lyr 2's sound signature is bright neutral so no matter what DAC you feed it, it will sound that way. You lose the Mojo's warm signature by feeding it to an amplifier. Plugging in a headphone straight to the Mojo allows the listeners to hear the Mojo's tuning which is supposed to be warm and relaxed. Even if you feed the Mojo to the supposedly one of the most transparent amps such as the Headamp GSX MK2, you will lose the warmth that Mojo is supposed to sound to the listener. Regarding the power output, if Mojo isn't able to drive the headphones properly, the headphones will sound "lazy" and lacking PRAT. If there's no PRAT difference between Lyr 2 and Mojo other than the brighter tonality of Lyr 2, that means that the Mojo is capable of driving the HE 560 properly IMO.

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #23,279 of 42,765
 You say, "You lose the Mojo's warm signature by feeding it to an amplifier."  Would that also refer to plugging the Mojo into an integrated amp for a home 2 channel system?

I wouldn't consider that as a general statement. Synergy as always plays a role in the final output of the sound.

In my experience, amps have more effect on the tonality of the speakers than a DAC and IMO tonality is easier to discern than the other aspects of the sound. DACs like Mojo improves imaging and PRAT (that effect is not readily noticeable unless you've listened to that DAC for a long time) rather than improve the tonality of the transducers the way amp does. However, integrated amps do make imaging and PRAT a lot more defined since they drive the transducers more controlled.

Putting it in an easier way, a good DAC will improve imaging and PRAT. An amp will color the tonality of the DAC, but further improves imaging and PRAT altogether. A transparent amp in my opinion is the amp that does not color the tonality of the DAC, but only improve PRAT, soundstage and imaging.

A poor DAC fed with excellent amp will still sound terrible since the amp is now exposing the limitations of the DAC such as sounding congested and "digitally compressed" during complex passages with poor PRAT, but the tonality is still that of the amp. A good DAC will then reveal excellent PRAT and imaging, but the tonality is still that of the amp. Mojo's variable analog line out is tuned to sound warm, while Hugo's variable analog line out is tuned to sound neutral.

If you read Chord 2Qute thread, some claim that 2Qute sounds warm while others claim that it sounds exactly like Hugo. Therefore, IMO, the amp's tonality is coloring 2Qute's true tonality.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #23,280 of 42,765
Does the mojo DAC offer native support for android phone via otg. By native, I mean using any application,  not just within USD audio player pro.  
I'm planning to use it with my lg g3. 
And does it have a totally black background? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back