Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 27, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #23,312 of 42,765
Listening to "Do I Do" from Stevie Wonder on Mojo.

I remember hearing this on analog tape 35 years ago, sounded wonderful, and now on Mojo, just like I heard 35 years ago.

All the musicality is back !

Same with "love light in flight" (Steve Wonder), heard that on Vinyl more than 30 years ago, now sounds exactly the same on Mojo !

Same musicality !

Amazing 
smily_headphones1.gif

Rob Watts is a Genius !!!

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #23,313 of 42,765

I remember hearing this on analog tape 35 years ago, sounded wonderful, and now on Mojo, just like I heard 35 years ago.

Same with "love light in flight" (Steve Wonder), heard that on Vinyl more than 30 years ago, now sounds exactly the same on Mojo !

Same musicality !

Amazing :)

Well , the source which feeds into the mojo and the iem / headphone you had used to pair up with mojo , which in turn mojo feeds out to the iem/ headphone plays a very big part too .

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #23,314 of 42,765
I use the Mojo as my desktop Dac/Amp only. Did allot of research first and found it to be the best choice within my budget. However i will now only use it for portable use and looking again for a desktop Dac/Amp.

As my desktop Dac/Amp I am considering either purchasing a second Mojo or maybe another product from Chord- would the 2Qute be an upgrade to the Mojo. Is it a Dac and Amp?

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #23,315 of 42,765
I agree....classic albums such as Joni Mitchell's "Court and Spark" reveal their genius
through Mojo and the right transducers (Grado GS1000i in this case) - better than I've 
ever heard it (used to have a very good Linn-based turntable system). The musicality,
nuances of Joni's singing, the effervescent trumpets...everything....phenomenal. 

Alll because of Mojo's brilliant reproduction - Mojo is proof that source comes first,
as it even allows my RS80e's to sound its best.

As someone else has pointed out on another message board, Mojo is the new Linn LP12
.....bringing high-end reproduction to the masses
.....and is a revolution in value, portable form-factor and great design/build quality.

With the right partnering equipment, Mojo is revelatory, allowing the original performance
and production to be savoured in all its quality(ies)!!!

PS: Checking out Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" (2000).....highly recommended!

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #23,316 of 42,765
I using my mojo with my android and I have a small micro to micro usb host cable for it.

I'm wondering if there is a way to charge the android while connected to the mojo?

I've seen some usb splitters but I'm unsure which one will work and don't want to take a chance at damaging either the android or the mojo.

thanks...

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #23,318 of 42,765

Same musicality !

Amazing 
smily_headphones1.gif

Hence the emotional connection to Chord by Mojo users that comes out in the language they use to post.

It is powerful as it is packed with many years of memory unleashed.  I, and so many others, experienced the same.  Well said! 

The engineering genius has benefited us all.  

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #23,319 of 42,765
I just hope that the chord engineering research team could eliminate all difficulties sooner with regards to the Bluetooth module which intended to be attached to the mojo can come faster .
That Aptx enabled Bluetooth module is my Christmas wishlist for this year .

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #23,320 of 42,765
I just hope that the chord engineering research team could eliminate all difficulties sooner with regards to the Bluetooth module which intended to be attached to the mojo can come faster .
That Aptx enabled Bluetooth module is my Christmas wishlist for this year .

That would be great. I really hope it also supports AAC.

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #23,321 of 42,765
  I agree....classic albums such as Joni Mitchell's "Court and Spark" reveal their genius
through Mojo and the right transducers (Grado GS1000i in this case) - better than I've 
ever heard it (used to have a very good Linn-based turntable system). The musicality,
nuances of Joni's singing, the effervescent trumpets...everything....phenomenal. 

Alll because of Mojo's brilliant reproduction - Mojo is proof that source comes first,
as it even allows my RS80e's to sound its best.

As someone else has pointed out on another message board, Mojo is the new Linn LP12
.....bringing high-end reproduction to the masses
.....and is a revolution in value, portable form-factor and great design/build quality.

With the right partnering equipment, Mojo is revelatory, allowing the original performance
and production to be savoured in all its quality(ies)!!!

PS: Checking out Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" (2000).....highly recommended!

Its not the source that comes first - but the weakest link. And the DAC/amp is for sure the weakest link, for a whole host of reasons.

Rob

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #23,322 of 42,765
Isn't there a Kintex 7 in the Mojo? Maybe it's a smaller part in the family, but it's also Xilinx's latest generation of parts. These are not small by any measure... It's remarkable the resources they're packing into these things... Particularly DSP48 slices and BRAMs which are useful for these types of signal processing applications. And they're able to run the parts at higher clock rates and lower power than previous generations. Plus the new Vivado tool is a complete overhaul of the old ISE design suite... Synthesis tool is a bit smarter, but PAR does an infinitely better job of closing out timing.

Also, any chance we could stop with the marketing cliches? The 44 DSP cores are what, individual modules in the RTL hierarchy? Are these meaningful modules or do they include things like synchronizers for clock domain crossings too (assuming there are any, just an example)? 26,000 taps is for one filter? Or the number of taps in all the filters combined? Are we talking about a giant polyphase FIR or a number of filter stages in different parts of the processing chain? What is the point of interpolating up to 200+MHz? Surely the DAC is not capable of running at that rate... And if it is, why?

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

It's the Artix 7.  The Kintex is the next step up I believe.  Both are in the 7 series based on the 28nm process.  The Spartan 6 is on a 45nm process.  Interestingly, the smaller Artix 7 15T chip that's in the Mojo has double the logic cells of the Spartan 6 LX9 in the Hugo (16,640 vs 9152) and 45 DSP slices vs. 16.  Gotta love Moore's law.  I'm guessing there is still plenty of room left over in that FPGA.

Logic cells is a misnomer... I think the latest generation packs more LUTs and *** into each slice than the Spartan 6 series did. But if the part in the Mojo really does only have 45 DSP slices and say 16,640x6 LUTs* and 16,640x8* registers, then I have even more doubt the 26k taps are being processed in parallel... There has to be some timesharing going on... Which would explain the clock rate that was chosen. So the filtering must be some partially serialized polyphase design. And then of course there is still the interface logic, LED control, etc. I bet the device is pretty full... Most people target around 80% utilization during part selection to avoid congestion so that PAR doesn't struggle to close timing while balancing cost.

*I didn't bother looking at the datasheet, these numbers are approximate but not far off.

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #23,323 of 42,765
Picked up Mojo from the post office today. Initial charge should be ready once the led stops blinking?

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #23,324 of 42,765
Picked up Mojo from the post office today. Initial charge should be ready once the led stops blinking?
IT SHOULD NEVER BLINK. If blink its not charging. Try unplug wait and replug. Or a better charger.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #23,325 of 42,765
If its blinking its not getting enough power. Must be a steady light. I used a 2A Samsung charger with Samsung cable and no problem.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back