Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 9, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #21,061 of 42,765
Quick question (that I probably know the answer to but will ask anyway): if I intend to NEVER use the Mojo as a portable device (it will always be plugged in to the power mains and sit on my office desk), are there other options I should be looking at in the Mojo price range? Just want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

Another option is the IFI micro IDSD, I know of a few guys who have sold on their Mojos and now use the IFI.

I know Canali currently has both including the Red Dragon Fly, so it seems he would be ideally placed to comment!
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #21,062 of 42,765
I would be fine with either form factor, with sound quality being the priority. In other words, the mobile factor of the Mojo is not something I would use, so just wondering if there are any competing desktop amps.

There are some, which had great reviews for several years, eg http://www.whathifi.com/audiolab/m-dac/review

But their downsides include that they generally do not cover as many of the HiRes options as Mojo, and probably do not sound as good as Mojo.
So you can get 95% of the Mojo experience - some people are happy with that, but many others hear the Mojo for the first time, and there is not turning back for them.

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #21,063 of 42,765

There are some, which had great reviews for several years, eg http://www.whathifi.com/audiolab/m-dac/review

But their downsides include that they generally do not cover as many of the HiRes options as Mojo, and probably do not sound as good as Mojo.
So you can get 95% of the Mojo experience - some people are happy with that, but many others hear the Mojo for the first time, and there is not turning back for them.

I believe the Audiolab can be a bit on the clinical sounding side from what I have heard.

When I spoke to my local HiFi dealer a few years back, they thought that the Arcam IRDAC was much better than the Audiolab.

However, I was not that fond of the IRDAC even though What-HiFi thought is was wonderful at the time but now they only give the newer version of it 4 stars when compared against the Mojo.

I think you really have to listen for yourself and rely on your own ears instead of being influenced by big marketing budgets and all the fluff that comes with it.

P.S. I still have Arcams original Black Box 2 DAC, so I have no beef burgers to grind!
blink.gif

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #21,064 of 42,765
Quick question (that I probably know the answer to but will ask anyway): if I intend to NEVER use the Mojo as a portable device (it will always be plugged in to the power mains and sit on my office desk), are there other options I should be looking at in the Mojo price range? Just want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

Schiit Modi (Multibit) + Magni.

Aug 9, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #21,065 of 42,765
Ah I've heard about this UK law. So what happens with all the goods that are returned? Are they sold as "new" or "open box"?

I have no idea. It was an issue I was struggling with when I bought my Mojo. I had the right to try it.  I was concerned for the retailer who would get a seal-broken product back. I do not know what the retailer does.

However in my case, I bought the Mojo on the strength of the What Hi-Fi review. I intended on buying it, opening it, and keeping it. Long story why I didn't open it straight away.

Aug 9, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #21,066 of 42,765
Ah I've heard about this UK law. So what happens with all the goods that are returned? Are they sold as "new" or "open box"?

I don't know about Mojo, but typically these products are re-sold as refurbished. Today I just received B&W P5 wireless headphones. I ordered directly from their website and saved £120 off the RRP. They came in a different box that said REFURBISHED all over it, the same for the warranty card which is still 12 months. They looked brand new, and everything was in sealed wrapping

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #21,067 of 42,765
I hear voices in other threads saying Schiit Multibit gives better sound than Mojo.
I owned old Schiit gear, but have no experience with their Multibit sh.t.
I would be very surprised, if any DAC under $1000 would truly compete with Mojo.
But folks keep saying I am wrong, and Multibit is noticeably better than Mojo.
Any opinions from true Mojo believers who actually tried new Schiit Multibit products?

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #21,068 of 42,765

Another option is the IFI micro IDSD, I know of a few guys who have sold on their Mojos and now use the IFI.

I know Canali currently has both including the Red Dragon Fly, so it seems he would be ideally placed to comment!
evil_smiley.gif

Schiit Modi (Multibit) + Magni.

Looking at both of these right now.  Thanks for this.  

Perhaps a loaded question, but is the general consensus that the Mojo is sonically better than these two?

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #21,069 of 42,765
I had arcam irdac and then got Hugo and later on bought mojo too. believe me arcam irdac is no way near mojo or Hugo. I had very transparent amps like exposure 2010s2 and benchmark ahb2. the advantage of such transparent amp is that every plus and minus of source is revealed. i have not heard any schiit dac but considering the reviews of mojo on every website mojo must be better. darko's dac index is one such site which have many brands on review including chord and schiit.

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #21,070 of 42,765
  I hear voices in other threads saying Schiit Multibit gives better sound than Mojo.
I owned old Schiit gear, but have no experience with their Multibit sh.t.
I would be very surprised, if any DAC under $1000 would truly compete with Mojo.
But folks keep saying I am wrong, and Multibit is noticeably better than Mojo.
Any opinions from true Mojo believers who actually tried new Schiit Multibit products?

I've had a Mojo since about two weeks after launch and Bifrost multi-bit since Friday (had the 4490 before that).

I'd say they're pretty much on par in terms of overall performance and sound quality, but they have a somewhat different signature.

Bit more heft with the Mojo down low, but some apparent upper-end roll-off (which I mostly notice with IEMs).  Bifrost is a little more balanced overall.

I'd take Mojo if you need portable use, or want an all-in-one solution, since Bifrost cannot do those things, but I don't like Mojo for desktop use and with the cans I use in my office I don't want the top-end subdued at all, so it's Bifrost MB there for me.

Aug 9, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #21,072 of 42,765

I've had a Mojo since about two weeks after launch and Bifrost multi-bit since Friday (had the 4490 before that).

I'd say they're pretty much on par in terms of overall performance and sound quality, but they have a somewhat different signature.

Bit more heft with the Mojo down low, but some apparent upper-end roll-off (which I mostly notice with IEMs).  Bifrost is a little more balanced overall.

I'd take Mojo if you need portable use, or want an all-in-one solution, since Bifrost cannot do those things, but I don't like Mojo for desktop use and with the cans I use in my office I don't want the top-end subdued at all, so it's Bifrost MB there for me.

Man, you made me curious about this new Schiit multi-bit.
Mojo completely got me. I can hardly imagine there is anything that can compete with its sound in its price range.
It seems I will have to experiment with this Schiit Multibit innovation.

Aug 9, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #21,073 of 42,765
Apologies if this has been asked before but I just got a Chord Mojo love it ....
and I'm wondering if it is worth getting a higher quality micro USB cable for improved SQ?

Mostly using it with my Grado GS 1000i, sometimes with SR325e with my iPhone.

....still acclimatizing but fantastic piece of gear!

Aug 9, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #21,074 of 42,765
Using Mojo with an iPhone 6s.

I noticed quite a bit of listener fatigue with Spotify.

Just got a Regen with a linear power supply and it's a worthwhile upgrade.

More listenable and musical.

Next step will be to get the Curious Regen link.

Aug 9, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #21,075 of 42,765

evil_smiley.gif

hi sorry still assessing the mojo....for now at least I find very little diff between the iFi micro iDSD and mojo, to be frank
...again i'm no golden eared listener.
this said, I do hope to do more back to back on dragonfly red, iFi and mojo this week (then again i said that last week....
rolleyes.gif
)

but i ''hate'' the dragonfly red 'cause it's so easy to use so is my lazy default go-to dac with its lightweight, plug and play attitude
...'tis a powerful little bugger, too: 
with most iems i'm only able to go from 4-12% max...sony 7520 cans 12-15%, more demanding senn 650s perhaps 25-35% max volume.

love the iFI micro and it's options
...use either DF red, or  iFI on their own or as dac to my MAD earplus HD tube amp
(can't believe i haven't listened to that since i got it back 1 mo ago with the HD upgrade...sheesh...my bad)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back