Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 24, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #2,086 of 42,788
Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't even a "DAC only" design need some amplification/audio output stage to drive the amp input? Just because the Mojo doesn't have a dedicated line out, does that mean the locked 3v output is not doing the same thing? Maybe it depends more on the implementation?

It has class A amplification section :) How often do you see class A in such size.
---------

I just discovered USB Audio Player PRO it has UPNP access. Man my entire library is now under my control. entire 2 TB right under my finger tip. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #2,088 of 42,788
That's where I was headed...what is the difference between fixing the output on the Mojo and a dedicated DAC's output?

Higher output is set automatically without you having to adjusted. Is it true lineout? Depends how you like to measure it, it is clear enough to be so. The reason why we tend to want to bypass the amp section is to reduce distortion which at the moment is a non issue with Mojo.

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2,089 of 42,788
Does a higher quality toslink cable like Chord makes any difference connecting my ak240 to Mojo?

C3bfivr.jpg

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #2,091 of 42,788
Does a higher quality toslink cable like Chord makes any difference connecting my ak240 to Mojo?

C3bfivr.jpg

Yes, I think the cheap plastic optical cable is definitely inferior to the individual strands glass one.  Optical got its bad name due to those cheap plastic strands version.

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #2,092 of 42,788
Personally, if I'm going to use the AK240, I'm going to use it by itself. I should have added to my photo that I was using it with the Mojo only for comparing while at the Tokyo show. It also shows how small the Mojo is. 

I'll be mostly using the Mojo with an 11" MacBook Air. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #2,093 of 42,788
Personally, if I'm going to use the AK240, I'm going to use it by itself. I should have added to my photo that I was using it with the Mojo only for comparing while at the Tokyo show. It also shows how small the Mojo is. 

You're using Amarra or Audirvana+?

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #2,094 of 42,788

You're using Amarra or Audirvana+?

I use both. Mostly Audirvana+.

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #2,095 of 42,788
That's where I was headed...what is the difference between fixing the output on the Mojo and a dedicated DAC's output?

Some people prefer to use Mojo as a dedicated line level DAC and add their favourite headphone amp. Things like tube amps add nice harmonic distortion and variable impedance across the frequency range, which gives pleasant sounding sensation when matched with particular headphones. It's all about the music and personal preference.

On most DAC+headphone amp combo, the fixed line output is offered because the headphone amp section often adds analogue volume (attenuator) and headphone gain + buffer amps, which adds to the noise and distortion. For example on things like Fiio DAP, the dedicated line output will bypass the headphone amp so it gives better THD at the cost of very high output impedance (so it can't drive headphones).

Mojo doesn't need to worry about these because the volume is controlled within the FPGA oversampling, and the analog output is as minimal as possible.

The concern with Mojo is that you can't use the popular old fashioned trick of "maximum volume" = "line output", which was possible on weak little DAPs that caps out at around 2V (e.g. that's what you would do on iPhone etc). Mojo's output is very powerful and it could fry the preamp that you are connecting it to (at max volume can output 14Vp-p). (Imagine connecting your power amp's speaker wires to your preamp...).
That's why Mojo offers a special "Line Output" mode that fixes the output voltage to 3VRMS (9Vp-p).

The fixed 3VRMS is still quite high compared to the average line output from CD players etc (most CD players are around 2VRMS) so you have to be careful not to get the sensation that Mojo sounds "more exciting" simply because of the louder volume compared to most other consumer Hi-Fi line outputs.

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #2,096 of 42,788
I use Audirvana+. It works great and I can make up files for all types of formats or music and it just seems to work well most all the time. There was a bit of a learning curve for me though on how to make up the custom music files. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #2,097 of 42,788
Yeah, Audirvana+ is some good SW. Recognizes the Mojo right away and no problems sending native sampling rates.

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #2,098 of 42,788
It has class A amplification section :) How often do you see class A in such size.
---------

I just discovered [COLOR=212121]USB Audio Player PRO it has UPNP access. Man my entire library is now under my control. entire 2 TB right under my finger tip. [/COLOR]

Thread moving too fast, I've mentioned that app a half dozen times in this thread already!

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #2,100 of 42,788
I found this otg cable, right angle however I am not sure if it will work or not.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/4-10cm-Right-Angle-Micro-USB-Host-OTG-Cable-black-for-DAC-Portable-Digital-Amplifier-OTG/1430037_32383431934.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back