Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 24, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #2,071 of 42,788
All this talk of double amping has made me think...

In my possession I have two amps, Vorzuge Duo and Pure II+ and, well, blow me down with a feather - they're the same form factor as the AK120 / Mojo...

Wow, if you could find a small enough 3.5 to 3.5mm cable that would almost undoubtedly be the smallest and most transportable high grade triple stack going!

As you wish...

Mojo, Pure II+, piccolino interconnect, Alpha Primes.

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #2,072 of 42,788
Finished charging from morning delivery. Moon audio 1st batch order. Otg cable to supplied micro usb cable to LG flex 2. Everything works native. Set to lineout to my car's line in. I like what I'm hearing, quite a bit.

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #2,073 of 42,788
Burn in fairies are not something I believe in. I would prefer it to be less open too be honest, I like lush and thick.

so do I at times hence why my ZX2 is going nowhere anytime soon... I don't have a Mojo at present but I do have a Hugo and in all honesty it can be a tad unforgiving with poorly mastered or old recordings. Some may like crackles & mic-air etc. I personally don't, authenticity has its limits in this household and this is where the ZX2 comes into its own with its more forgiving warm nature... now for 90% of the time Hugo wins hands-down in every department but for the likes of old Woody Guthrie & Otis recordings I must admit at reaching for the ZX2, the warmer presentation brings a bit more life to the mix.

It took me a week or so to wean myself off the Sony 'house-sound' when I first got the Hugo but perseverance worked in the end and I 'got it', there is no return to the 'dark side' for me as the sheer pleasure I get from the Hugo surpasses all that's gone before.

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #2,074 of 42,788
I left mine running overnight and it sounds a bit clearer this morning (I had no expectations). At the moment I feel my AK240 sounds better with the Laylas (balanced) though, but that is as much the Laylas as anything else. They are rather hard on gear with their complex crossover. I'll run it for a week or two and then compare it to the Hugo, try USB noise isolation

I can't, at least with the Laylas, notice any difference between optical and USB from my iPhone.  Fancy USB cables only seem to affect gear that is sensitive to noise, as, I'm guessing, they alter or reduce the amount of noise entering the device. I'm not sure the Mojo would be affected by it at all, as I haven't asked if the power pins are connected on the input USB, but a USB cable with only data pins connected can help reduce the noise getting into some devices.  Regardless, keeping the cable short helps too. It's definitely low on my priority of things, especially for an on-the-go rig.

Edit: It could because I just had breakfast, or because I left it on for an hour since I last listened and it is nice and warm (which seemed to affect the Hugo) but I plugged the Mojo into my computer and I'm feeling it sounds better than when I was listening earlier. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #2,075 of 42,788
Don't want to drag up an old skeleton again but just wanted to know if the smartphone caused hissing is extending to sound cutting out. Perfectly happy to use with my iPod but just checking to see if this is another symptom of the phone proximity. This doesn't happen with the Hugo and I've swapped cables around too

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #2,076 of 42,788
Lots of talk about transport, which is fine, but please do mention which cans and buds you've tried and how they sound - I feel that source-to-headphone synergy is much more critical to the listening experience, and I doubt I'm alone in this.

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #2,077 of 42,788
  I left mine running overnight and it sounds a bit clearer this morning (I had no expectations). At the moment I feel my AK240 sounds better with the Laylas (balanced) though, but that is as much the Laylas as anything else. They are rather hard on gear with their complex crossover. I'll run it for a week or two and then compare it to the Hugo, try USB noise isolation

I can't, at least with the Laylas, notice any difference between optical and USB from my iPhone.  Fancy USB cables only seem to affect gear that is sensitive to noise, as, I'm guessing, they alter or reduce the amount of noise entering the device. I'm not sure the Mojo would be affected by it at all, as I haven't asked if the power pins are connected on the input USB, but a USB cable with only data pins connected can help reduce the noise getting into some devices.  Regardless, keeping the cable short helps too. It's definitely low on my priority of things, especially for an on-the-go rig.

I think the main benefit from the Mojo is the added ability to drive difficult headphones on such a tiny package.  If you have the HD800 and Hifiman HE1000, please try it on the Mojo and you may be presently surprised.  IMO, a top of line DAP such as the ZX2, AK240 should be able to keep up with the Mojo or any top-end portable as long as you are driving a CIEMs or very easy loads from the headphone output.

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #2,078 of 42,788
Forgive my ignorance but why would people want to double-amp? 

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #2,079 of 42,788
  Forgive my ignorance but why would people want to double-amp? 

This is head-fi, anything goes. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #2,082 of 42,788

change of sound-signature comes to mind... some will prefer to use Mojo as a DAC, hth.

now I must jog-off for a while, my MoD recording is calling... good luck tomorrow against Citee...
normal_smile%20.gif

Tough game as well. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #2,083 of 42,788
double amping the mojo or the hugo makes absolutely no sense to me...i have them both and both are more than capable of driving pretty much any can out there.....and no less an authority than the chord people themselves explain that it is counter productive....also i do agree that if one listens to IEM's there is no need to use an amp with the 240 or even the 120.....

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #2,085 of 42,788
Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't even a "DAC only" design need some amplification/audio output stage to drive the amp input? Just because the Mojo doesn't have a dedicated line out, does that mean the locked 3v output is not doing the same thing? Maybe it depends more on the implementation?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Yari
Back