Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 20, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #20,266 of 42,765

Yup. As Tidal encrypts offline files, regardless of whether they're stored on an SD or the phone's local storage, UAPP can't use them.

If Tidal added USB audio support all my portable DAC problems would disappear.

and for sennheiser's captune:
when online live streaming you can use sennheiser's captune EQ for Tidal hi fi,
but for your off line downloaded songs, nada

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #20,267 of 42,765

I'm not sure this is the case with Foobar2000 (or at least Foobar run on a Windows platform). I'm making this assumption because the volume slider is not greyed-out and I can easily change it. Foobar considers 100% volume as 0dB and everything less is noted as "-n" dB. This is a good sign, but I'm not convinced it is "Bit-Perfect" output to the Mojo...
confused.gif
Can anyone using Foobar2000 on their Windows-based Notebooks confirm if this is indeed BitPerfect o/p? Merci
beerchug.gif

Since two days ago I have been playing with USBPcap/Wireshark & Foobar, I can assure you that;

- when Foobar volume is set to 'Off'  -> all Audio out data packets are set to 'O'
- when Foobar volume is set to 100% -> Audio data seems to be bit perfect. I am writing 'seems' because I just sent a few audio easy files ( full 1/ jitter/etc...) and at first glance it seems bit perfect , it was not the goal of my trials.
- when Foobar volume is set to something different to 100%  you start having truncated audio bits. The more you digitally attenuate the less bit depth you have with whatever digital player.
... N.B. I forgot the Foobar pre-requisite: without Replay Gain (set to none)

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure what  you are analyzing with that/those tools but "seems to be" certainly is better than "seems not to be"
biggrin.gif
But I will try to investigate it elsewhere. I'll be sure to post here if I can confirm it 100%
beerchug.gif

p.s. Yes, I turned off "replay gain" immediately after installing
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #20,268 of 42,765
Not sure what  you are analyzing with that/those tools but "seems to be" certainly is better than "seems not to be"
biggrin.gif

Hey!

tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #20,269 of 42,765
Thanks for the T3 information. Thus, I just went ahead ordering refurbished X5. Which version of X5 firmware are you using? By the way, have you ever compared X5ii + Mojo with X5 + Mojo? If so, could you distinguish the differences of sound characteristics between two pairings?

No, I can't reliably tell a difference between the X5 / X5ii as a source to the Mojo.

I'm using the latest firmware on the X5 (2.7) as well as the latest on the X5ii. Be sure to check out the custom theme firmware repository for the X5 up to FW2.6 - LINK (including mine for FW2.7 - LINK). :wink:

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #20,270 of 42,765
No, I can't reliably tell a difference between the X5 / X5ii as a source to the Mojo.

I'm using the latest firmware on the X5 (2.7) as well as the latest on the X5ii. Be sure to check out the custom theme firmware repository for the X5 up to FW2.6 - LINK (including mine for FW2.7 - LINK).
wink.gif

Thanks a lot for providing the links for your custom theme firmware. Do I have to upgrade to official FW first before upgrading to your theme FW, or only upgrade to your theme FW without official one? Besides, there are quite a few theme FWs, which one do you recommend for a novice?

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #20,271 of 42,765

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure what  you are analyzing with that/those tools but "seems to be" certainly is better than "seems not to be"
biggrin.gif
But I will try to investigate it elsewhere. I'll be sure to post here if I can confirm it 100%
beerchug.gif

p.s. Yes, I turned off "replay gain" immediately after installing
wink.gif

Basically it is a free USB port sniffer. Therefore you are able to look at data packets (content & timing) sent to and received from devices connected to it. In this case isochronous asynchronous audio transfers to Mojo ( Mojo is the one timing the packet data transfer).
Regarding analyze, let`s rather say I am just curious...

Now if you want to know if a specific software is100%  `bit perfect` you need to compare the audio data you are providing with the one getting out from your USB port towards DAC bit to bit. As I mentionned in my answer , I didn`t do this check  bit to bit since others already did and looking roughly by playing specific jitter files where only a very few bits are changing in the frame it was more than enough for my own conviction but not enough for stating others.

For instance,looking at Dire Straits Love Over Gold raw data wasn`t so talkative, listenning to it via Mojo as per @Mython`s advice it  transported me....
dt880smile.png

Cheers.
beerchug.gif

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #20,272 of 42,765
Thanks a lot for providing the links for your custom theme firmware. Do I have to upgrade to official FW first before upgrading to your theme FW, or only upgrade to your theme FW without official one? Besides, there are quite a few theme FWs, which one do you recommend for a novice?

/OT

Just load the firmware and it will include the theme. If you don't like it you can just load the other firmware back from FiiO's website, or found on Head Fi (search for FiiO X5 firmware). There is no functionality change, just changes to images and image coordinates within the firmware. Read the first post of that thread for all the information. :wink:

/OT

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #20,273 of 42,765
I recently got a burson soloist sl to use with my hd700. Its sound signature is very similar to mojo. Almost like desktop version of mojo if your dac is transparent.

I wanted to test if adding amp increases distortion. Using mojo i could hear string instruments individual strings. On burson i could hear fluttering of strings with movement of air around strings along with individual strings.

Is this distortion or burson have better control over driver and is bringing out more detail?

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #20,274 of 42,765
guys:

any tracks you suggest which are useful in comparing the chord mojo with, say, the dragonfly red
and iFi micro idsd?

i am going to do some critical listening over the next week or so....of course it's always good to listen
to one's own music, but just wondering if there any general consensus on here.

i just find the dragonfly so much nicer as a portable walkaround unit.
the mojo, in contrast, when paired with an ipod not as much...tonight when sitting down on a bench
and hooking up the mojo to my ipod touch to tidal hifi, if i moved the unit a bit or the wires got moved /touched
sometimes that bitrate ball would change
colour and i'd lose connection to tidal....frustrating...seems like the cck and chord extension handshake would get interrupted.
......maybe that small female micro usb chord or the micro usb imput in chord
is a bit finicky to movment w... on a table and no movement all was fine...otherwise, nada.

lastly, any further eta on this module/plate coming out?
 am sure that will make the connection much more stable...let alone more portable friendly
you can already see from the pic below that the plug into the mojo on the module
is expanded  to minimize movement/wiggle room (i know it's only a prototype...)

thanks

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #20,276 of 42,765
  guys:

any tracks you suggest which are useful in comparing the chord mojo with, say, the dragonfly red
and iFi micro idsd?

i am going to do some critical listening over the next week or so....of course it's always good to listen
to one's own music, but just wondering if there any general consensus on here.

thanks

The Dark Knight Rises album.

Also here is something I'd recommend. Rather than doing A/B comparisons, try to spend some time with each device. I only own IEMs, and through my IEMs, when I try to do quick A/B comparison between my Fiio X3ii and Mojo, I try to listen to particular notes and the timbre of the notes and the presentation. To be honest and to much surprise, the difference is not huge and there are certain tracks where I won't be able to tell Mojo and X3ii apart, if I were to do a blind test. But if I just listen to X3ii for a while and let the experience sink in and then, when I switch to Mojo, the difference is SQ is pretty apparent and has that musicality. And when I listen to Mojo for a while and then switch to X3ii, the music sounds dull, veiled, lacking in dynamics. The difference once again is not night/day. But significant enough to establish that Mojo is clearly better. 

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #20,277 of 42,765
Not sure if that's the best album to test anything, I remember reading somewhere and the higher frequency on this album was completely cut off due to some technical error.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #20,278 of 42,765
Hmmm.. I wasn't aware of that. And I just checked the DR scores for the album and those aren't impressive either. Regardless, I find the album to be very good in terms of both musicality and technicality.

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #20,279 of 42,765
And if you could find the link to the place where you read about "the higher frequency on this album was completely cut off due to some technical error", could you please share it with me?

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #20,280 of 42,765
Not sure if that's the best album to test anything, I remember reading somewhere and the higher frequency on this album was completely cut off due to some technical error.

There was some discussion about it in the Popular Classical Music thread that Light - Man started, although there is plenty of information about this album all over the web.

It starts here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/808665/popular-classical-music/75#post_12620571

And Rob measured it a few post later with some observations:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/808665/popular-classical-music/75#post_12622538

Users who are viewing this thread

Back