Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 15, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #20,011 of 42,765

+1. Totally agreed...which is why I continue to buy CDs and rip them to FLAC. Most of the recordings sound phenomenal out of the Mojo.

streaming is good for casual and party listening (and for trying out new stuff :) ). End of. Musical collections will endure.

The hard disc based collection is replacing the cd and vinyl collection of old. It's still something physical to work with and own, and yes, cherish.

I ripped my CD's years ago, first into WMA back in late 1990's, then FLAC more recently. I was alarmed to see how many of the CD's had deteriorated to become almost unreadable, however, and these are only about 25 year old CD's max.

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #20,013 of 42,765
streaming is good for casual and party listening (and for trying out new stuff :) ). End of. Musical collections will endure.

The hard disc based collection is replacing the cd and vinyl collection of old. It's still something physical to work with and own, and yes, cherish.

I ripped my CD's years ago, first into WMA back in late 1990's, then FLAC more recently. I was alarmed to see how many of the CD's had deteriorated to become almost unreadable, however, and these are only about 25 year old CD's max.

The manufacturing process of the first CDs didn't seal the edges of the CD - they were just the reflective aluminium part sandwiched between two polycarbonate layers. This left the aluminium part exposed to the air, and as a result the aluminium slowly corroded inwards making the CDs increasing unreadable towards the out edges.

This problem was eventually noticed and later CDs did indeed have sealed edges which lead to greater longevity.

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #20,014 of 42,765
Well, I had and I am still mojo-free at the moment. I cannot justify to myself that l need a DAC for my music (and add more weigh and bulk to my "things to carry" daily).

I agree; when I'm out and about all I need is my S7 + headphones, and sometimes the Sound Blaster E1 for a finer controld over volume. I bought the Mojo for desktop use, at home and in the office.

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #20,016 of 42,765
Finally the mojo is working with tidal in the pioneer xdp 100r :D had some firmware update on the pioneer,and voila,it worked :) havent tested so much yet,but i really love that you dont have to play load to hear all the instruments in the music.Safer for the ear.So thats a real bonus :)

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #20,017 of 42,765
  True. Physical media is not to be trusted. Perhaps we should store all ripped music on cloud. 

(Firstly, sorry about the off-topic, guys - although I love this thread for that; not TOO strict :wink: )

Yes def cloud storage will be the future, but it's too expensive right now. We're at the stage with the cloud that we were about 18 years ago with hard disc storage space/cost perhaps?

Best bet is to make at least one back up of a local disc and have a working disc for daily use. I have 3 in fact; 2 "full" versions including all artworks, and all Hi Res, HD copies where available, and a further "daily use" disc which had 16-44 versions of all albums and no artwork scans.

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #20,018 of 42,765
  Damn it. Bought a Mojo on a spontaneous(ly planned) visit to Richer Sounds earlier. Wanted to hear and prove to myself that the hype around this device was grossly blown out of proportion, intending to return it and resume normality and blissful contentment with my Meridian Ex².

Well, it didn't quite turn out like that; I'm going to have to keep the bloody thing

I think quite a few people have had a similar experience - once you try the Mojo, there is no going back.
wink.gif

My wallet worries how I might react if I demoed a DAVE. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #20,019 of 42,765
  True. Physical media is not to be trusted. Perhaps we should store all ripped music on cloud. 

But store copies at multiple locations!

Search the web and you will find posts by people who put all their key data in the cloud (provided free by their ISP), then someone made a complaint about them to their ISP about something, and suddenly their account is closed, and they have lost access to all their historical emails, plus everything stored in the cloud.

So storing data/music in a cloud, reduces your physical clutter at home, but you have surrendered your right to access, to the whims of a faceless bureaurocrat at your ISP. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #20,020 of 42,765

When CDs first appeared, we were told that the data storage would degrade after 10 years, so we would continually have to make backup copies of data and buy new music discs. In practice this was scaremongering, and the oldest CDs will now be 30 years old, and still readible - but maybe there is a good case for creating backup copies of music CDs after 20 years. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #20,021 of 42,765
When CDs first appeared, we were told that the data storage would degrade after 10 years, so we would continually have to make backup copies of data and buy new music discs. In practice this was scaremongering, and the oldest CDs will now be 30 years old, and still readible - but maybe there is a good case for creating backup copies of music CDs after 20 years. 

The 10 year limit on data retention was originally stated for recordable CDs, not for manufactured CDs. The way data gets onto them is fundamentally different, as is their construction.

With manufactured CDs the data is physically stamped onto the reflective aluminium layer, much in the same way that vinyl is pressed, and this makes physical pits in the aluminium. As long as these CDs are properly sealed so that air cannot reach the aluminium layer then there's no reason why they shouldn't last until the end of the universe, if properly cared for.

Recordable CDs, on the other hand, used a semi reflective layer on top of a non reflective layer. The laser of the CD recorder burnt through the semi reflective layer in order to simulate the pits on a normal CD. The problem was that when exposed to light and heat the semi reflective layer would gradually decay thus eventually rendering the CD unreadable. Initial accelerated aging tests showed that under normal use the CD would be rendered unusable at around the 20 year mark, leading to the figure of 10 years as the point where you should really start to think about getting your data off them.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #20,023 of 42,765
BTW, I remember another factor regarding deterioration of stamped CDs was that, for a brief period of time, Philips were printing their CD booklets on paper manufactured with an acidic pH - not intentionally - it was a simple oversight, but the booklet would press against the top surface of the disc, when the clam-shell case was closed, and the acid would then attack the CD. I recall them offering replacement discs to people affected by this. It is possible that Philips were not the only company to make this mistake, but my memory is that they were the ones who suffered the calamity and resulting publicity, at the time.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #20,024 of 42,765
Well I would still suggest to use a system cleaning record or a rip, after listening to ABBA :)
*buzzing 'You oughta know' while writing*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back