Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 15, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #20,041 of 42,765
  from adams acoustics when I emailed asking for suggestion for desktop:

Thanks for reaching out.  The AX series is intended for Pro Audio Studio applications however
we do get a decent amount of people like yourself using them in hifi applications.  I would probably
suggest a more full range speaker for the ability to use them without a subwoofer in your kitchen setup.
 A set of A7X’s would be my suggestion.  Hands down our best selling monitor and has the frequency range you will need.

Thanks,

Adam Sheppard
Regional Sales & Marketing Manager
Cell: 615 924-3680
Office:
615 983-6214
Fax: 615 983-6209

Nice response...but doesn't really address how the AX series might sound different than my F5s, which is what I was curious about.
wink.gif

Regardless, I wouldn't trade. My F5s sound amazing. I use them in a nearfield triangle, with usually pretty low volume (more ambient music while I'm working than "hi fi critical listening")...so my criteria would likely be much different than putting in a kitchen and blasting.

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #20,043 of 42,765
  Nice response...but doesn't really address how the AX series might sound different than my F5s, which is what I was curious about.
wink.gif

Regardless, I wouldn't trade. My F5s sound amazing. I use them in a nearfield triangle, with usually pretty low volume (more ambient music while I'm working than "hi fi critical listening")...so my criteria would likely be much different than putting in a kitchen and blasting.

I'll ask him then will PM you, so not to divert this thread.

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #20,044 of 42,765
I don't need a PM. I was casually curious. I'm sticking with my F5 and happy.

Onward Mojo talk!

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #20,047 of 42,765
Old meets new...
...and I do mean oooold. I bought that DAP back in 2001...
tongue.gif
... and the battery still holds a decent charge...
eek.gif

Actually, just checking my Mojo's optical interface
biggrin.gif

28049488080_79ef78fb37_c.jpg

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #20,052 of 42,765
  Does anyone have a current list of Android phones with USB Audio out? Looked at post 3 and do not see such a list.

It's enough work to keep on top of Mojo, so maintaining an up-to-date and constantly-increasing list of smartphones is something I don't relish the prospect of doing; sorry
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #20,053 of 42,765
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I thnk I might have to get a quality shielded USB cable though, since I get some quiet clicks.

I noticed some clicks (or pops, not sure) the other night with my Mojo connected to my Notebook using the stock Mojo USB2USB cable. The clicks weren't apparent today when I had the same setup but with another Notebook in another location... . So is it a fact that such clicks are RF interference?

Under some circumstances, perhaps, but not necessarily. Several different things can each contribute to clicks (and stuttering/juddering, too, which can be very slight or very pronounced) being heard, under various circumstances. Latency issues and insufficient computer resources are 2 such examples: http://www.head-fi.org/t/812759/how-to-eliminate-stuttering-in-audio-players I'm sure others can suggest more.
You said you were using a notebook, so Wi-Fi RF is, as you remarked, a possibility, but if you check the above link, you'll see that that person was using a notebook, when he experienced his issues, and they certainly do not appear to be RF-related.

Thank you as always for the support, sir! I will have to do some deeper investigation into my issue
popcorn.gif

EDIT: Okay, done. No, I have no stuttering issues. The "clicks" happen 2~4 times during a 10min song. They sound EXACTLY like the clicks that are permanently embedded in my EAC-ripped 16bit-44KHz WAV files. During the same listening session, I also played 24bit-96KHz WAV files with zero clicks.

FWIW, when I'm plugged in to a Notebook (desktop, tower, ...) I use an AQ Jitterbug in the chain. I have not determined it improves the sound but (I assume) it can't possible hurt... .

I'm pleased to report my problems are solved (and thank goodness for that, those clicks / pops were driving me nuts
triportsad.gif
). Nothing to do with RF - [edit] as Mython correctly surmised (surprise, surprise, he was right again...
cool.gif
)
[/EDIT] and although it could have been a resource or conflict issue, I was unable to verify it by any standard Windows resource monitoring tools. So the actual problem is still an unknown, but my solution was to go with WASAPI vs. DS. Using Foobar2000, I installed the WASAPI "component" and voila, thanks to a direct pipeline to the Mojo, the clicks have completely disappeared. As far as I can tell, there is no direct mention in "Post 3" (or related Foobar2000 links) that running with default DirectSound will cause problems... and maybe it is a variable issue that doesn't affect everyone. In my case, I had the same exact problem with two completely different Notebooks running two version of Windows. Heck, one of them is my office's "workplace" and it is maintained by a third party.

What I also could not find documented (or maybe I missed it) is that WASAPI (or ASIO) not only provides a dedicated pipeline but is essential to overriding Window's fixed sampling rate. I was very pleased to see Mojo's sample-rate indicator go from red to green once a 24b96K song came up
biggrin.gif
Before installing WASAPI I had to manually set the sample rate for the Windows "Device" each time I decided to change from Redbook to Hi-Res media.

What IS very well documented in "Post 3" is the fact that you can easily resolve the other issue regarding the loss of the first 500ms of the first queued song. UAPP (Android) has an option and Foobar2000 has a "DSP" component that essentially allows you to buffer each song with silence (for a user-selected amount in ms).

So I'm almost in playback nirvana. There are still some surprises - hitting the pause or play cmds or selecting another spot mid-song will elicit a click / pop and at times they can be loud. Not fun, but okay, it's a minor issue compared to random clicks etc.
wink.gif

Now to figure out how to make my Mojo last even close to 10hrs on one charge... off I go to "Post 3" to see what's what
biggrin.gif

on another note, tomorrow is when i will start to listen exclusively to the mojo for a few weeks....will be tucking away my dragonfly red...then i'll return to it, as per xrelicx's helpful suggestion.

No you won't...
...won't return to the Dragonfly.
Once you're tuned your brain for that Mojo sound, going back to the Dragonfly is maddening... you will see what I mean soon enough
very_evil_smiley.gif

What's the storage space like on that thing? I can imagine one flac album aha.

20GB HDD. And not Solid State, but a good old-fashioned platter that revs up mid-song to fetch more data for what must be a pitiful excuse of a RAM buffer, lol! I'll tell you what, though; back in those days this player blew the competition away. Forget the iPod (1G was released in Oct. 2001) - which wanted to convert all my HQ-ripped MP3s to their proprietary compression format... using something called "iTunes"
blink.gif
Not only did iRiver'S DAP allow me to play pretty much any format available at that time, but it was the only (or one of very few) portables with a line-out! Not only a line out, but a coax / optical out. Not only out, but in!!! I hooked it up to my Meridian CD Player via both coax and optical so that I could rip songs. Not that convenient compared to a PC, but a nice feature to have all the same.

I don't even think anything but A&K's AK380 with "native DSD playback" can claim bragging rights in today's market like the iHp-110 and 120 did back in those days
cool.gif

Jul 15, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #20,054 of 42,765
Nobody (least of all me) is claiming that post #3 contains all the possible answers for every possible Mojo question.

It is just nice if people have the courtesy to check what's there before asking.

That's all!
beerchug.gif

I'm glad you have found a solution.

I didn't only suggest RF, BTW. I also pointed to another thread discussing the possibility of latency and/or insufficient computer resources - which can happen if other (non-audio-playback) processor-intensive tasks are being performed at the same time as one is listening to Mojo, or if one is doing a lot of processor-intensive audio processing, as in the case of using HQ Player in some configurations. I've even observed people having issues with clicks simply when trying to play double-rate DSD (which actually involves shifting and processing a lot more data than people realise).

When Mojo is used with such a wide range of devices, it is almost impossible for one person to keep track of all possible issues with all possible permutations, under the banner of Mojo being a common denominator - Mojo is just one part of the equation.

Jul 15, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #20,055 of 42,765
I didn't only suggest RF...

Woah, woah, just the opposite - I was implying that you were RIGHT, once again, in saying it was probably NOT RF - and you were right, hehe
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back